Ernie Flag Donations - Your help needed

The only problem with today's prominent position is that the Flag can't be seen on video footage of games. When it's been in the RRE or Chaddy End, it has been seen clearly on goal footage. In years to come the Flag will be seen on that footage and Ernie's name will be there for posterity.

I think that's somrthing to consider when positioning it at BP for the remainder of the season.

Over the Away team dugout? :grin:

The only problem with today's prominent position is that the Flag can't be seen on video footage of games. When it's been in the RRE or Chaddy End, it has been seen clearly on goal footage. In years to come the Flag will be seen on that footage and Ernie's name will be there for posterity.

I think that's somrthing to consider when positioning it at BP for the remainder of the season.

Good point...

Can I suggest we hang in one of the two "standing" areas in the Main Stand padock ? Might be a idea? That said if we arent bothered about TV coverage todays postion was ace...will make the papers where it is...

Edited by oafc0000

Can I suggest we hang in one of the two "standing" areas in the Main Stand padock ? Might be a idea? That said if we arent bothered about TV coverage todays postion was ace...will make the papers where it is...

Hopefully I'll have something additional in Ernies honour in his area ready for this one.

Just to keep everyone upto date, We do now have a NEW flag that most people would have seen at yesterdays game.

Martin (A good Friend of Ernie's) Paid for the flag to get it organised for us ASAP and in time for the Cobblers game. (No Honest :grin: )

We are still looking for donations for the NEW flag to pay Martin back and maybe raise a little money for the Pink appeal

Our Target for the Flag is £250 I believe but I'm hoping to raise £300 and at the moment we are half way there ! :sign0173:

So anyone still wanting to donate a quid or so please remember to add your name on the donation so I can enter you into the DRAW ! Some people have donated and not left me there name, but if you wish to stay anonymous that is fine .......

If anyone else would like to do this please send your donation to via Paypal as a gift to rickattwood@gmail.com

Just a few questions that I'd really like answering about this flag.

1) What exactly is the purpose of it?

2) Does it raise money for a charity?

3) Does it raise awarness for a charity?

4) Do the people who drag it from match to match, country to country etc etc do this for the purposes of holidaying?

5) Does this flag actually serve a purpose in the real world? i.e. the one in which Ernie died, because let's face it, the 'creators' don't seem to be doing anything to help their next young hero who will be killed by this real illness.

6) Why are the people who carry this flag around not doing what Ernie wanted and what he specifically asked for? He asked for awarness and funds to be raised for the illness that took him away, not for a pointless piece of nothing to be dragged around Europe etc.

7) Can any of the flag's, (I don't know exactly to call them) dragger abouters??!!! name the illness that Ernie died of and tell people what he went through? This should be the real purpose of the flag, this would be good, fantastic even. But for a flag with no meaning/purpose to be tied to stands, held outside grounds for a photo just seems a total and utter waste of time.

8) Do ANY of you see the importance of research into this illness?

9) Can anybody explain to me why this illness takes people so quickly and so defiantly? (going along the lines of it being one of the only cancers without a cure or concrete treatment, severely under-funded etc. this should help you answer this one).

Thanks

4) Do the people who drag it from match to match, country to country etc etc do this for the purposes of holidaying?

5) Does this flag actually serve a purpose in the real world? i.e. the one in which Ernie died, because let's face it, the 'creators' don't seem to be doing anything to help their next young hero who will be killed by this real illness.

6) Why are the people who carry this flag around not doing what Ernie wanted and what he specifically asked for? He asked for awarness and funds to be raised for the illness that took him away, not for a pointless piece of nothing to be dragged around Europe etc.

7) Can any of the flag's, (I don't know exactly to call them) dragger abouters??!!! name the illness that Ernie died of and tell people what he went through? This should be the real purpose of the flag, this would be good, fantastic even. But for a flag with no meaning/purpose to be tied to stands, held outside grounds for a photo just seems a total and utter waste of time.

9) Can anybody explain to me why this illness takes people so quickly and so defiantly? (going along the lines of it being one of the only cancers without a cure or concrete treatment, severely under-funded etc. this should help you answer this one).

Thanks

Are you upset about something, would you like to discus it?

The flag has tow purposes... Its a tribute to the main and its something to highlight we are raising funds...

The flag no...its just a flag...

It certainty has done...

?? Maybe...maybe not... But they would be doing this with or without the flag...

5) Does this flag actually serve a purpose in the real world? i.e. the one in which Ernie died, because let's face it, the 'creators' don't seem to be doing

anything to help their next young hero who will be killed by this real illness.

They are raising money..

They are doing that... They are also holding a tribute to the man...

Oh do shut up...

FFS?? OF COURSE!! YES!!

Im not a doctor...

Thanks

Oh do f**k off...

You have a axe to grind clearly...

Thanks

As one of the Latics fans involved with the Ernie Flag, I would like to answer the questions.

The Purpose of the Ernie Flag and the web site is explained in this link:

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php?...=8&Itemid=9

No.

The purpose of the Flag and the ernieflag web site is to keep Ernie's story in the public eye, and raise awareness of Malignant Melanoma. The site gives readers the opportunity to find out more by clicking on the links to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie‘s, Dr Kershaw's and Cancer Research. We are not supporting any particular charity, but suggest that if readers of the site wish to make a contribution to any of the charities, they may so do via the links.

Although not supporting any particular charity, we see all three as charities doing exceptional work in their particular fields, as are other charities, including Link4Pink of which we have now become aware. We all have experienced cancer deaths among our families and friends and the respite care provided by Dr. Kershaw's. Now through Ernie we are all familiar with Malignant Melanoma, and, through the link to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s site, we are aware of what is being done towards obtaining effective research.

My signature on OWTB includes a link to Factor 50. We also have Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s information fliers which we can give out when talking in the pub to fans of clubs we visit with Latics. The story is one of not only football but also health and human interest, and by providing information towards helping people to avoid the same fate as Ernie, we hope our efforts are worthwhile.

If any charities receive donations that is a bonus, but the aim of the Flag is to raise awareness.

3) Does it raise awareness for a charity?

Yes through the web site.

No. The purpose of each trip is to watch a football match and the Flag is displayed at the match. The host club is requested to include an article about the Flag in the official match programme. The article includes a link t the web site.

In addition the local newspapers published in the area of the host club are requested to include an article about the Flag, with a link to the web site, in the preview of the match.

We believe that the Flag is a focal point which may generate interest in the web site, which in turn explains the cause of Ernie’s death and links the reader to the three charities mentioned above.

6) Why are the people who carry this flag around not doing what Ernie wanted and what he specifically asked for? He asked for awareness and funds to be raised for the illness that took him away, not for a pointless piece of nothing to be dragged around Europe etc.

We are carrying out the awareness wish and Christie’s/Factor 50 are carrying out the fund raising, but the two are not connected.

Ernie died from Malignant Melanoma but we cannot tell anyone what he went through. If by our efforts we make even one person aware of this form of skin cancer and educate them about avoiding its occurrence, we will have been successful.

Yes, because without research there is no hope of finding a cure.

No and that is why we link readers of the web site to the Factor 50 site.

The replacement Flag is featured on the OS:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1558967,00.html

The item includes a link to the ernieflag site, which in turn makes readers aware of Malignant Melanoma, the care that needs to be taken to avoid it and the efforts being made towards securing more research into ths disease.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

In answer to Diego's post from above, we are also running a feature on the Ernie Flag ( good work, guys )

Another example of the Flag being publicised as part of our efforts to bring about awareness of skin cancer and the need to avoid its causes. In addition to Yeovil Town, Millwall FC have also promised to publish the article about the Flag, particularly as Ernie was one of their fans and the Club was very well represented at his funeral. http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php?...ie&Itemid=5

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Thanks

how dare you questions peoples motives to carry on celebrating ernie's memory in the way they feel fit.

the people involved , or dragger abouters, as you so rudely tag them, are the most decent football fans/people you could ever wish to meet, and the way you are insulting them is outrageous.

just because the flag doesnt name a charity, name a disease etc doesnt mean its worthless in any shape or form, and is purely a way of celebrating ernie's impact on a football club.

please promote your charity in any way you see fit, but i think you may have just scored the biggest own goal ever with your insensitive comments.

thanks

Thanks

I hope your some kind of wind up merchant from another club!! I can't beleive any follower of Latics would not know the story of both Ernie and the flag, and the efforts of those involved to raise awareness of Malignant Melanoma.

If you are a Latics fan then you are total :censored:

I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who donated to the Flag and to let everyone now know that enough money has been collected to pay back the kind offer from Ernies friend to pay for the flag upfront.

There is a little left over that will be going towards the clubs current project

If anyone wishes to make anymore donations, please still do ! Cancer in all forms is not only deadly, it affects the lives of people supporting love ones with this awful disease and there friends.

I personally would like to make a donation myself, a few weeks ago while trying organise myself I found that I had to reduce my own Latics Collection and sold a few Signed shirts on Owtb.

I would like to offer this Framed signed shirt for auction to any fans interested. The shirt is worth a lot more than the reserve price I ask of £20 but what ever anybody wishes to bid for it the money will be given to the Latics go Pink for Leeds Appeal

Please PM me if you would like to make a bid...

Again thank you from all the "dragger abouters" ( I wont go there at the moment) :mad: that are conected with the flag

I today did a random draw from the names of people who donated towards the new Ernie Flag.

lincoln_latic was the person who's name was pulled out ! Thank you to lincoln_latic and every one else who donated

The shirt that I offered as a donation raffle prize to raise some more money for the Pink appeal is still available Shirt

PM me for details