dear andy liddell

Bellend sat behind me was whining about Lids taking the ball into the corner, he was saying he should have whipped it in to the box. Well played Andy in running the clock down.

I agree, he should have whipped it into the box as we were in a very good attacking position at the time.

Regardless of needing to win...needing the points...needing to keep possesion, I don't go to a football match to watch blatant time wasting and if you're happy to pay £20 to see those sort of tactics then your a very sad man indeed!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, he should have whipped it into the box as we were in a very good attacking position at the time.

Regardless of needing to win...needing the points...needing to keep possesion, I don't go to a football match to watch blatant time wasting and if you're happy to pay £20 to see those sort of tactics then your a very sad man indeed!!!

[sigh]

You're one of these people who's rather his team drew 4-4 in a super exciting game than won 1-0 in a c**p game, aren't you...?

QUOTE (oafc1955 @ Feb 14 2009, 22:48 PM) *

You're one of these people who's rather his team drew 4-4 in a super exciting game than won 1-0 in a c**p game, aren't you...?

================

No he is one of these -

4-3 up and a minute to go.Lids crosses and they pick the ball up , attack and score a last minute equalizer.

He comes on moaning that lids should have taken it in the corner and wasted time !!!!!!!

Even when we win some others can't ??

Edited by losesome

Well, no offence, but you really aren't much of a fan.

I don't care how often you attend/how much money you give the club, if you'd rather see the us drop 2 points, you aren't much of a fan IMO.

Go to the pictures if you want entertainment, football is a sport, primarily about winning, then factors such as entertainment come into it!

Would Lewis have had the strenght to shield the ball in the corner?

2-1 up, vital to win to gain ground on teams around you, do you go for a 3rd, or protect the lead, because to be honest, nothing's going to come down to 1 Goal Difference at the end of the season, whereas it could come down to 2 points!

KTF

Joe

Righty-ho then. That's me telled and why the majority of Oldham fans wanted Ronnie to stay at the club.

The opportunity to see 4-4 draws is very irregular. What was the last one? Bristol Rovers was it? Can't remember many 1-0 wins from that season, as it wasn't anything excellent to watch.

I question my fan-ness every time I miss a game, so you are in good company (wow, managed to do the whole bunch of words without telling you to :censored: off*).

*Might have blown it there though.

Did the job though!

To be fair, I dont think that putting Alless on would have lost us the game, but wouldnt have got us another goal either!

KTF

Joe :)

but he didn't "do the job"..he was ,if in your opinion,he was there to hold up play.

he held it up for about 5 seconds...then twice give advantage back to the opposition.

that could have resulted in a sucessful attack against us.

if he had put a cross in,the time wasted "shielding" the ball would have been approx the same length as farting around in the corner..but he would also have created a scoring chance.

but at least he didn't point at everything today either...unless i missed that

I think you are being a bit harsh. The guy has been sent on to do what he did. If the Lino was giving utter inept decisions then he can hardly be accountable.

crap officiating or not,it wasn't the right option.

and if thats what he was told to do by shez,i'd be suprised.

back to my original point...

lidds or lewis..

what would lidds bring what lewis couldn't?

holding up the ball in the corner flag..? wasn't sucessful.

but we got away with it..better opposition would have punished that situation.

best way to defend?

attack.

next best way to defend?

get a defender to defend.

I'm guessing this is the only reason we have Liddell. Experience pays on these occasions. For all we know Alice could have come on, in his youthful exuberance ballooned a cross and they score from the break. Fact is (although that probably wouldn't happen), we won and they didn't. Therefore job done.

crap officiating or not,it wasn't the right option.

and if thats what he was told to do by shez,i'd be suprised.

back to my original point...

lidds or lewis..

what would lidds bring what lewis couldn't?

holding up the ball in the corner flag..? wasn't sucessful.

but we got away with it..better opposition would have punished that situation.

best way to defend?

attack.

next best way to defend?

get a defender to defend.

ive not read all the thread because im guessing its :censored:, so

better opposition as in what? premiership? he took it in the corner gave away a free kick? got tackled? top teams punish you from there , nobody in our league

best form of defence is attack, how many aimless balls in to the box towards hughes on his own today (and belive me he was pissed off about the whole situation), we should have swung another ball in?

lidds was on for 5 mins , did nothing special but did nothing wrong, yet we have a 3 page thread about , thats not worth the screen its written on.

now for a trip to the eardley thread , im assuming there is one

Edited by palmer1

please hurry up and retire.

you have had your time,your last two sub appearences have been rubbish,please stop trying to take the ball in the corners to wind the clock down then either take it out of play or foul the oppo player...

you have been a good footballer over the years,and i thank you for your service,but its time to go im affraid. :shock:

You will get your wish. I'm sure that this will be his last season with us. However, some of the bad comment with regards to Lidell are simply not justified.

QUOTE (oafc1955 @ Feb 14 2009, 22:48 PM) *

================

No he is one of these -

4-3 up and a minute to go.Lids crosses and they pick the ball up , attack and score a last minute equalizer.

He comes on moaning that lids should have taken it in the corner and wasted time !!!!!!!

Even when we win some others can't ??

Trouble is, the win at all costs attitude could be one of the reasons football in the lower leagues is losing support. Surely we should be good enough to keep the ball in open play not mucking around near the corner flag.

I like to win...of course I do, but not at the expense of entertainment. We're a top six side on merit and should be good enough to hold on to a lead against a crap side like Northampton who had about one shot on goal in ninety minutes.

Here's my take on it.

The team weren't brilliant yesterday. They were ok. They did a job. In fact, they did the job we've been screaming out for across the draws at Boundary Park this season - winning a game when they're not at their best.

For that, I'm delighted.

In addition, Shez got the substitutions he did make absolutely spot on. There have been occasions when he's made some bewildering decisions from the bench. Today he replaced Windass with a midfielder who offers us attacking options (Whitaker) with 15 minutes left, and then takes off Maher in the dying moments to replace him with an old head.

I think Maher's a class act, but two good reasons to replace him were (1) He played well and deserved an ovation and (2) we weren't keeping the ball as well as we should do and Liddell was sent on to do that using the full width of the right side of the pitch.

If I was being uber critical, I'd say he should have made a third substitution - Alessandra (to hold the ball up) for Smalley (tiring).

Player's contracts shouldn't be taken in to account when making substitutions. If the owners of the club say "don't play Liddell becuase he's expensive" it's time for Shez to leave on principle. Here's your squad now get us promoted with it is the message owners should give a manager.

Would I start Liddell? It was an option today for Sheridan that he chose not to take. If he'd stuck with his 4-4-2 then Liddell would have played most of the 90 minutes. Sheridan was brave enough to invent a plan B and it paid off. Some of Liddell's displays this season have been great. Others not so great. But there are many in the squad with that pedigree, so why single out Lidds?

Final though for the guy who wants to see a 4-4 draw every week. A point a game is 46 a season. Over the last 3 seasons 8 teams have been relegated out of this league with more than 46 points.

When we get in to play-offs and are clinging on to a 1 goal lead at somewhere like Elland Road in the dying minutes of the second leg, I for one would willingly watch 10 minutes of us keeping possession next to a corner flag.

Edited by opinions4u

Well, no offence, but you really aren't much of a fan.

I don't care how often you attend/how much money you give the club, if you'd rather see the us drop 2 points, you aren't much of a fan IMO.

Go to the pictures if you want entertainment, football is a sport, primarily about winning, then factors such as entertainment come into it!

You are only a young lad and are not really qualified to tell me I'm not much of a fan.

I've been a fan/supporter (call it what you like ) since the early sixties and believe me when you are older your attitude to football will change.

When I was your age I was the same and it didn't matter how we played as long as we got a result.

Nowadays I want a little entertainment along the way. I still want us to win, obviously, but it's not quite the be all and end all as it once was!

You are only a young lad and are not really qualified to tell me I'm not much of a fan.

I've been a fan/supporter (call it what you like ) since the early sixties and believe me when you are older your attitude to football will change.

When I was your age I was the same and it didn't matter how we played as long as we got a result.

Nowadays I want a little entertainment along the way. I still want us to win, obviously, but it's not quite the be all and end all as it once was!

wow....3 pages for something that was slightly tongue in cheek...

right....im a moron am i.....hahaha.the personal attack for owtb is not for players my friend,however it is for attacking another owtb member,so i consider me self attacked,not the worst thing i been called but hey..

there has been some decent points raised however you view this thread.

at the start of the season lidds warranted his place in the team,with his performances,was very good,unfortunately now he doesnt,people say oh he has an old head he knows what to do best...but so does greegs who was stillon the pitch,and allott for that matter.

we had a striker in the box wanting the ball ,he could of crossed and hughes could of scored,but he didnt....

he didnt do what he was sent on to do,as the officials gave decisions against him and they had the oppertunity to break and steal a late goal,it wasnt just this game,but the last home game he did exactly the same,and it didnt work.

it isnt his fault he isnt playing,we have a fit healthy young squad,who in my opinion are the better option than playing a 35 year old in the last throws of his game.

hence why i thanked him....but at the end of the season i hope he retires,and lets someone else have there turn.

Is that why every football match I attend I see groups old men criticising everything that any player or the manager does (good or bad) and trying very hard to ruin the game for everyone within ear shot?