FAO OWTB/P

We were horrible (2nd half) last night, but seriously, if Hughes had hit the pen the other way, if Windass had hit that an inch lower, we'd have won, no trouble.

Just as an afterthought, if we end up in a shoot out at Wembley, BAN Hughes! Let Flem go before him, he's no good from the spot!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were horrible (2nd half) last night, but seriously, if Hughes had hit the pen the other way, if Windass had hit that an inch lower, we'd have won, no trouble.

Just as an afterthought, if we end up in a shoot out at Wembley, BAN Hughes! Let Flem go before him, he's no good from the spot!

Rather appropriate to wheel out an owd one Joe.......................IF my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle!*

In Shaw she probably would be!

stop talking bolloks and giving out snidey remarks.

everybody knows your so far up his arse when he yawns you say hello......

In fairness Ed, I don't think I am talking bollocks. The reaction on here, as ever, has been completely OTT when we've dropped points we 'should' have gained.

I'm not up the manager's arse...I have made criticisms of him on here before, when I felt they were due. But the bile that's been spat out on this MB in the last 22 hours has been ridiculous, and I'll stand up for Shez, because he doesn't deserve all the criticism on here. Yes, he probably did make tactical errors yesterday, and yes...he has made a few this season. But that's not a reason to sack him, and I'll defend that point vehemently because in my opinion, it's not me talking bollocks, it's the fickle bunch who are the 'Shez Out brigade'.

In fairness Ed, I don't think I am talking bollocks. The reaction on here, as ever, has been completely OTT when we've dropped points we 'should' have gained.

I'm not up the manager's arse...I have made criticisms of him on here before, when I felt they were due. But the bile that's been spat out on this MB in the last 22 hours has been ridiculous, and I'll stand up for Shez, because he doesn't deserve all the criticism on here. Yes, he probably did make tactical errors yesterday, and yes...he has made a few this season. But that's not a reason to sack him, and I'll defend that point vehemently because in my opinion, it's not me talking bollocks, it's the fickle bunch who are the 'Shez Out brigade'.

last nights game alone is not the reason to sack him.i will agree with that.

now when this season is over...if we go up fine,ill apologise if i have said things to the contary....however if we dont go up,then its time to change,or else we will stagnate with him in charge.

could you honestly say hand on heart if we finish 10th that we have made progress in 3 years with shez in charge,thats what he is being judged on,not one game but 3 seasons.

3 seasons of being backed to the hilt by a board,who really dont have to give him the funds he has had...he asks for a player and he gets them....he builds a team with the funds given....then brings in loan players to cover things over when he realises the players he brought in in the first place arent good enough.

i think he has made more than a few errors of judgement this season,last night again dropping players because of the yeovil game,looking for reasons to justify his decisions,yet brings in a keeper who is third choice elswhere,and a midfielder who hasnt performed since october of last year,instead of someone who is a decent keeper and a midfielder who has set goals up and helped to create things,and been generally solid.

hughes hasnt looked like scoring since windass came,and young allessandra hasnt had a look in....

when you go two behind like last night you try something different,i would rather lose 5-0 and go down fighting than wimping out and not even attempting to try different things.

im not a happy clapper or a shez outer,but i know if come the end of the season if were still in this division we have just wasted the last 3 years.

last nights game alone is not the reason to sack him.i will agree with that.

now when this season is over...if we go up fine,ill apologise if i have said things to the contary....however if we dont go up,then its time to change,or else we will stagnate with him in charge.

could you honestly say hand on heart if we finish 10th that we have made progress in 3 years with shez in charge,thats what he is being judged on,not one game but 3 seasons.

3 seasons of being backed to the hilt by a board,who really dont have to give him the funds he has had...he asks for a player and he gets them....he builds a team with the funds given....then brings in loan players to cover things over when he realises the players he brought in in the first place arent good enough.

i think he has made more than a few errors of judgement this season,last night again dropping players because of the yeovil game,looking for reasons to justify his decisions,yet brings in a keeper who is third choice elswhere,and a midfielder who hasnt performed since october of last year,instead of someone who is a decent keeper and a midfielder who has set goals up and helped to create things,and been generally solid.

hughes hasnt looked like scoring since windass came,and young allessandra hasnt had a look in....

when you go two behind like last night you try something different,i would rather lose 5-0 and go down fighting than wimping out and not even attempting to try different things.

im not a happy clapper or a shez outer,but i know if come the end of the season if were still in this division we have just wasted the last 3 years.

If we finish 10th then of course he should be sacked. But that's my point, people are working themselves over some fatalistic fantasy in which we throw away everything we've built so far this year. It's not happened. If it does, then fair enough. But people, and I'm not necessarily referring to yourself, need to step back and see that we're not in too bad a position after all.

I do question your notion that Shez has brought in players on loan because the ones he has signed aren't good enough. If you could give a couple of examples (other than maybe COG - although all managers bring in flops from time to time) then I'll reassess that point of view. Loanees have been brought in so far to cover injuries and suspensions, when either we haven't got back up, or the back up is a youth team player who Shez doesn't deem good enough. And if Shez doesn't deem them good enough, then neither do I.

Disagree that Hughes hasn't looked like scoring. For starters, he has scored. He's also missed a shedload of opportunities, including if the LW commentators are correct (and I'll have a look in a bit on the highlights), one or two gilt-edged ones last night (and that's of course ignoring the penalty). If Hughesy is having trouble hitting the target, that is not the manager's fault. He's getting the chances, it's time he started putting a few away again!

I agree things should have changed last night. And I do not absolve Shez of responsibility from what went on, far from it. But as mentioned before, I'll defend him to the hilt against some of the rubbish that's been posted on here in the last 24 hours. And when I say that, I'm not overly referring to yourself, Ed.

Edited by jsslatic

If we finish 10th then of course he should be sacked. But that's my point, people are working themselves over some fatalistic fantasy in which we throw away everything we've built so far this year. It's not happened. If it does, then fair enough. But people, and I'm not necessarily referring to yourself, need to step back and see that we're not in too bad a position after all.

I do question your notion that Shez has brought in players on loan because the ones he has signed aren't good enough. If you could give a couple of examples (other than maybe COG - although all managers bring in flops from time to time) then I'll reassess that point of view. Loanees have been brought in so far to cover injuries and suspensions, when either we haven't got back up, or the back up is a youth team player who Shez doesn't deem good enough. And if Shez doesn't deem them good enough, then neither do I.

Disagree that Hughes hasn't looked like scoring. For starters, he has scored. He's also missed a shedload of opportunities, including if the LW commentators are correct (and I'll have a look in a bit on the highlights), one or two gilt-edged ones last night (and that's of course ignoring the penalty). If Hughesy is having trouble hitting the target, that is not the manager's fault. He's getting the chances, it's time he started putting a few away again!

I agree things should have changed last night. And I do not absolve Shez of responsibility from what went on, far from it. But as mentioned before, I'll defend him to the hilt against some of the rubbish that's been posted on here in the last 24 hours. And when I say that, I'm not overly referring to yourself, Ed.

people are working themselves up because the same pattern is developing thats has developed the past 2 seasons....finish 6 or 8 or 10 or9 or 7 take ya pick....but it isnt promotion,and that is what the name of the game is....we have been in this or similar position 2 years running then messed it up,and people see it happening again and quite rightly dont want it to happen a third time.

cog not good enough,danny whittacker not good enough...we signed kieran lee but i cant make a decision based on two games...maybe he is good enough but he hasnt been given a chance,same with stephens really.

hughes not scoring may not be shez fault directly....but if it was smalley or lewis or davies(when here) not doing the buisness they would of been dropped like a stone,yet he persists in playing a partnership that blatantly isnt working...he is off in the summer by all accounts,so if he isnt interested drop him and give someone else a chance,they cant do any worse.

You say loanees have been brought in to cover injuries and suspensions....Budtz ..yes and he's now No.1 for some strange reason, Hines..Not for Injury or Suspensions, Windass..Not for injury or suspensions..Goldbourne..Not for injury or suspensions..Fabio whats his name..Not for injury or suspensions, At the time even Jones..Not for injury or suspensions.

Playing Jones ahead of Lomax at Stockport actually ended our winning start to the season and the new player had only met his team mates for the first time 1/2 an hour before kick-off!!!!!

At the begining of the season as has been the case over the last couple of seasons the only problem area was the left side of midfield and we had 2 players for almost every position and strikers coming out of our ears!!

If Hughes is missing chances he should be playing the likes of Allesandra instead but Hughes is hardly going to build any confidence in our redundant reserve side now is he!!!

There are so many things wrong with our set up at BP under Shez that I could go on about it all flamin night.

The game the other night was the straw that broke the camel's back..it wasn't just about one game, it was about crap play, against crap opposition, which has now gone on for far too long.

Nobody want's Shez to succeed any more than I do ....... but, If you watch his post match interview on the official site you will see a man who hasn't a clue anymore..he's run out of ideas and that's why a lot of supporters are begining to lose faith.

Despite what's been said lately the man's had a cracking budget and I'm sorry, but in many peoples eyes he has simply thrown it away and that's what's pi***ng off the majority of supporters.

The Corporal get's some major stick on here for expressing his honest views but almost everything he say's is bang on.....IF WE DON'T GET A PROMOTION SOON I really can't see a future for this club!!!!

You say loanees have been brought in to cover injuries and suspensions....Budtz ..yes and he's now No.1 for some strange reason, Hines..Not for Injury or Suspensions, Windass..Not for injury or suspensions..Goldbourne..Not for injury or suspensions..Fabio whats his name..Not for injury or suspensions, At the time even Jones..Not for injury or suspensions.

Playing Jones ahead of Lomax at Stockport actually ended our winning start to the season and the new player had only met his team mates for the first time 1/2 an hour before kick-off!!!!!

At the begining of the season as has been the case over the last couple of seasons the only problem area was the left side of midfield and we had 2 players for almost every position and strikers coming out of our ears!!

If Hughes is missing chances he should be playing the likes of Allesandra instead but Hughes is hardly going to build any confidence in our redundant reserve side now is he!!!

There are so many things wrong with our set up at BP under Shez that I could go on about it all flamin night.

The game the other night was the straw that broke the camel's back..it wasn't just about one game, it was about crap play, against crap opposition, which has now gone on for far too long.

Nobody want's Shez to succeed any more than I do ....... but, If you watch his post match interview on the official site you will see a man who hasn't a clue anymore..he's run out of ideas and that's why a lot of supporters are begining to lose faith.

Despite what's been said lately the man's had a cracking budget and I'm sorry, but in many peoples eyes he has simply thrown it away and that's what's pi***ng off the majority of supporters.

The Corporal get's some major stick on here for expressing his honest views but almost everything he say's is bang on.....IF WE DON'T GET A PROMOTION SOON I really can't see a future for this club!!!!

The other night was crap. After that performance you have got to ask the question, can we get promoted.... and the answer is yes. Not based on that performance alone, but based on how we have played the entire season. It still doesn't mean its good.

Shez, what he does well, he does very well. He gets a team and players and can tell them what he wants them to do and on their day, their is probably no better team in this division. However, match after match against the smaller teams he is being out thought by the managers of smaller teams. Tuesday was a great example of that. Trollope had said he would sit back and hit us on the counter. I don't think brizzle had one shot all first half and then second half, found that by hitting the ball over the centre back, they could damage us. THey did.

In the short term, we will have nothing to gain from shez going or really anything to gain from groaning too much (though I groaned a lot on Tues). Basically Shez should be given until the end of the season to do what he can with the full support of everyone. BUT if he does not get us into the promoted at the end of the season, well he said it himself, it might be time to give someone else a chance.

P.s. If the Drum is to stay, can the drummer please get some drumming or at least some general music lessons. The drum should be an accompanyment to the singing and should not figure in every single beat of the song.

The other night was crap. After that performance you have got to ask the question, can we get promoted.... and the answer is yes. Not based on that performance alone, but based on how we have played the entire season. It still doesn't mean its good.

Shez, what he does well, he does very well. He gets a team and players and can tell them what he wants them to do and on their day, their is probably no better team in this division. However, match after match against the smaller teams he is being out thought by the managers of smaller teams. Tuesday was a great example of that. Trollope had said he would sit back and hit us on the counter. I don't think brizzle had one shot all first half and then second half, found that by hitting the ball over the centre back, they could damage us. THey did.

In the short term, we will have nothing to gain from shez going or really anything to gain from groaning too much (though I groaned a lot on Tues). Basically Shez should be given until the end of the season to do what he can with the full support of everyone. BUT if he does not get us into the promoted at the end of the season, well he said it himself, it might be time to give someone else a chance.

P.s. If the Drum is to stay, can the drummer please get some drumming or at least some general music lessons. The drum should be an accompanyment to the singing and should not figure in every single beat of the song.

Thought he is getting better and I dread to think what the noiz levels would have been without him - shhhhh do you mind, I am reading!!

And if the budget is going to be brought out as a stick at least get it right. It has not been a cracking budget for this division. It has been abjectly :censored: for alot of the season, it is decent now. It had been what this club should have.

The new budget is something we shouldn't have. Too much for the club to afford. The owners come out and say so - having given the go ahead. Then say given this, we need to go up - or else. Then we get a load of muppets who throw their brains out with the remnants of the Sunday dinner giving it large about how this is our only chance to ever do anything, ever. Even if teams have bigger budgets and better players.

Newsflash. The future of this club is the same as ever. We aren't going to be a big side (consistently above Division 3), We aren't going to be a tiny side (consistently below Division 4). Set the budget right and we'll be okay. But we haven't done that, and therefore the continual good work of a good manager is being undone by another club with a now, now, now attitude.

I'll say it now. Sack him and we will be worse off. I'll be looking at Rummy's barometer anxiously next season if we do. It won't be the end of the World, as it is our position in life as an Oldham fan. But, it'll be awfully disappointing.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

You cant honestly say we'll be worse off. Surely you see his decisions as baffling as anyon else.

Can you explain playing Budtz in net? That isn't the reason we lost but it is inexplicable.

Why drop Maher after he has been our best player?

And why did he not try to change formation when we are losing 2 - 0 at home. He needed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and go for it. I would've been happier to see us lose 3 or 4 nil if it had have been because we were piling men forward. Instead he was happy to go through the motions and give up without a fight.

I haven't said should be sacked now but the performances at the min are not good enough and in all honesty he doesn't seem to have a clue.

You cant honestly say we'll be worse off. Surely you see his decisions as baffling as anyon else. Hmmm.....

Can you explain playing Budtz in net? That isn't the reason we lost but it is inexplicable. Maybe he has been fantastic in training. Also it could be argued that Fleming cost us two points at Yeovil with his latest blunder.

Why drop Maher after he has been our best player? Because he's 32 (?), we have 4 games in ten days and plenty of midfield cover - rest him for the 'easy' home game.

And why did he not try to change formation when we are losing 2 - 0 at home. He needed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and go for it. I would've been happier to see us lose 3 or 4 nil if it had have been because we were piling men forward. Instead he was happy to go through the motions and give up without a fight. Maybe after dominating the first half he prefered to stick with it? Also he did make three changes - there is more to tactics than formation.

I haven't said should be sacked now but the performances at the min are not good enough and in all honesty he doesn't seem to have a clue. Yet he gets results good enough to be in the top 6 all season? Bizzare.....

JSS how can you say it is an over reaction to a performance that you didnt see?

Because no single performance warrants some of the reaction on here, no matter how bad...and when I personally look at the grand scheme of things I think it's a lot better than a lot on here are making it out to be.

people are working themselves up because the same pattern is developing thats has developed the past 2 seasons....finish 6 or 8 or 10 or9 or 7 take ya pick....but it isnt promotion,and that is what the name of the game is....we have been in this or similar position 2 years running then messed it up,and people see it happening again and quite rightly dont want it to happen a third time.

cog not good enough,danny whittacker not good enough...we signed kieran lee but i cant make a decision based on two games...maybe he is good enough but he hasnt been given a chance,same with stephens really.

hughes not scoring may not be shez fault directly....but if it was smalley or lewis or davies(when here) not doing the buisness they would of been dropped like a stone,yet he persists in playing a partnership that blatantly isnt working...he is off in the summer by all accounts,so if he isnt interested drop him and give someone else a chance,they cant do any worse.

Finish 6th? Yes, please. And, for the record, this is not what's happened for the last two years. In his first year, yes...we threw away auto, though we did still end up in the playoffs. Last year, we went through a period when we couldn't even field a bench...we were rock bottom after a couple of months of the season and somehow dramatically recovered to finish 8th. It was a bloody impressive effort, yet some people appear to be kidding themselves into believing that we were promotion contenders all season. We briefly threatened to make a surge into the playoffs...but with all the injuries we just didn't have that cutting edge.

Why keep faith in Hughes when he wouldn't in Alessandra? Are you joking? Because Lee Hughes is five times the player Lewi is. Just because he's missing chances, by the way, does not mean he isn't interested. It's hardly as if the ball comes across to him and his reaction is 'f*** this, I can't be arsed any more...too much effort to do the dance, just gonna hit it over the bar'. If he wasn't getting into positions to score, I'd be worried.

Maybe he has been fantastic in training. Also it could be argued that Fleming cost us two points at Yeovil with his latest blunder.

so dropping him for one mistake will have done his confidence alot of good? It may well lead to more problems. JS himself identified one of our problems as a lack of confidence

Because he's 32 (?), we have 4 games in ten days and plenty of midfield cover - rest him for the 'easy' home game.

Fair point, but I personally believe a professional footballer is fit enough to cope with 4 games in 10 days and I'm certain he would've wanted to play.

Maybe after dominating the first half he prefered to stick with it? Also he did make three changes - there is more to tactics than formation.

If you honestly believe we dominated the first half you best get to the doctors. In what way did he try to change his tactics?

I haven't said should be sacked now but the performances at the min are not good enough and in all honesty he doesn't seem to have a clue. Yet he gets results good enough to be in the top 6 all season? Bizzare.....

I clearly stated performances at the minute, taking the last 10 into account we have took 13 points. That form is not play-off form. It could also be argued that we are only in the play-offs as we have played more games than our rivals

Budtz was in because of Flem's howler at Yeovil. He is not our number one. And for that matter, he was brought to cover first suspensions, and he's only here because Norm's injured and we need another no.2. It is not Shez's fault that Bell isn't yet deemed good enough. Funny how everyone praised the signing of Hines because it meant we had good cover for Rubes' anticipated suspension. Shez clearly felt that he's better than what we had, and may as well use him whilst he's here. I can flaming well guarantee that a lot of the Hines-bashers were Eards-bashers just a couple of weeks ago, in the same way that all those who used to clamour for the recall of their beloved 'Mental' were saying how crap he was before he went out on loan. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. Golbourne? Not for injuries? He replaced DJ...who was injured. And DJ was a long term target, we'd been trying to get him in for ages...and I'd be staggered if anyone felt that Lomax was a better LB than he is. The Fabio one is interesting and I don't get it. But he isn't papering over the cracks...Deano's playing well and Shez isn't trying to hide anything. Dare I say...maybe he wants Deano to have some competition to keep up his good form, and he sees too that Lidds may not be that. Perhaps. I don't know. We'll have to wait and see...but let's wait before jumping down his throat about it.

DJ and us losing at Stockport was a coincidence. Inexplicable bearing in mind he costs us our unbeaten run.

As mentioned in another post, Hughes is five times the player Lewi is, and if he's missing chances (but still getting them), he stays in the side for my liking. The lack of reserve squad was, if I understand correctly, not Shez's decision.

We haven't thrown it away FFS. We're 5th. FIFTH.

And if the budget is going to be brought out as a stick at least get it right. It has not been a cracking budget for this division. It has been abjectly :censored: for alot of the season, it is decent now. It had been what this club should have.

The new budget is something we shouldn't have. Too much for the club to afford. The owners come out and say so - having given the go ahead. Then say given this, we need to go up - or else. Then we get a load of muppets who throw their brains out with the remnants of the Sunday dinner giving it large about how this is our only chance to ever do anything, ever. Even if teams have bigger budgets and better players.

Newsflash. The future of this club is the same as ever. We aren't going to be a big side (consistently above Division 3), We aren't going to be a tiny side (consistently below Division 4). Set the budget right and we'll be okay. But we haven't done that, and therefore the continual good work of a good manager is being undone by another club with a now, now, now attitude.

I'll say it now. Sack him and we will be worse off. I'll be looking at Rummy's barometer anxiously next season if we do. It won't be the end of the World, as it is our position in life as an Oldham fan. But, it'll be awfully disappointing.

You need to seriously wake up...Our fanbase is dropping by the month...if we don't make some real progress on the pitch soon we are heading for oblivion.

TTA have sanctioned the money because they want what we want...promotion!! If we stay in this division much longer it will be the 3rd tier we're heading for and no way of ever getting back. The owners have been brilliant and I will say again ' Our budget this season was good enough to get us promoted '

TTA did not buy this club with the aim of staying in this division and privately I reckon they're not happy in the slightest with the progress made on the pitch during Sheridan's reign!!!

Maybe he has been fantastic in training. Also it could be argued that Fleming cost us two points at Yeovil with his latest blunder.

so dropping him for one mistake will have done his confidence alot of good? It may well lead to more problems. JS himself identified one of our problems as a lack of confidence You are changing the subject - that's a different argument. You had described the keeper choice as inexplicable just to have a go at Shez. I am defending Shez (who has stood by Fleming after a number of blunders) by providing a reasonable explanation for the selection.

Because he's 32 (?), we have 4 games in ten days and plenty of midfield cover - rest him for the 'easy' home game.

Fair point, but I personally believe a professional footballer is fit enough to cope with 4 games in 10 days and I'm certain he would've wanted to play. Fair point? Glad we're getting somewhere then....

Maybe after dominating the first half he prefered to stick with it? Also he did make three changes - there is more to tactics than formation.

If you honestly believe we dominated the first half you best get to the doctors. In what way did he try to change his tactics? I'll make an appointment. Shall I also make one for the Gas fan above and the hundreds and hundreds of Latics fans who clapped us off at halftime, feeling unlucky to not be infront? I don't know what tactical changes he made, other than for the maximum permitted three substitutions.

Yet he gets results good enough to be in the top 6 all season? Bizzare.....

I clearly stated performances at the minute, taking the last 10 into account we have took 13 points. That form is not play-off form. It could also be argued that we are only in the play-offs as we have played more games than our rivals Fair point - glad we're getting further :wink: However the manager should be judged on all games played this season so far, and judged finally at it's end. He should, never, ever, be sacked on the back of a 10 game wobble following all the excellent work prior to it. Nor should he be sacked for saying 'no danger' in an interview.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

You need to seriously wake up...Our fanbase is dropping by the month...if we don't make some real progress on the pitch soon we are heading for oblivion.

TTA have sanctioned the money because they want what we want...promotion!! If we stay in this division much longer it will be the 3rd tier we're heading for and no way of ever getting back. The owners have been brilliant and I will say again ' Our budget this season was good enough to get us promoted '

TTA did not buy this club with the aim of staying in this division and privately I reckon they're not happy in the slightest with the progress made on the pitch during Sheridan's reign!!!

Another excellent post. The falling crowds suggest that it is the deniers of reality on here who are unrepresentative of the wider fanbase.