Intelligence or Natural Ability

CD's Orange Heels

What kind of team are we?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you say best describes are current squad?

• Intelligent footballers
    • Naturally gifted
    • Mix of the above
    • Gutless, clueless, spineless tossbags

I was listening to talksport last week and there was a discussion about "Footballing Brains" and natural footballing ability. If I remember rightly it was after the Spain v England game and they where trying to work out if which one is more import to a footballer. Obviously it helps to have a bit of both, but I was just wondering what people on here think is more important at our level. I think that in the team we have a fair few players who are actually quite gifted ability wise but lack in the intelligence department. Could this be the problem for Sheridan? I have a great deal of respect for the guy and think some of the personal abuse offered up on here is unfair. All I would say is that he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent person. As a player he was massively gifted and talented. Is this what he is looking for in players? Are we a team full of naturally gifted players but have no intelligent players? Could that be why people are so frustrated, because they know the players can do it, but we are just too predictable.

A few questions for people on here.

1. What is more important on the pitch, brains or ability?
  2. Are there certain positions where one is more important than the other?
  3. Do you think we have a good blend of brains and ability in our current team?
Edited by CD's Orange Heels

I was listening to talksport last week and there was a discussion about "Footballing Brains" and natural footballing ability. If I remember rightly it was after the Spain v England game and they where trying to work out if which one is more import to a footballer. Obviously it helps to have a bit of both, but I was just wondering what people on here think is more important at our level. I think that in the team we have a fair few players who are actually quite gifted ability wise but lack in the intelligence department. Could this be the problem for Sheridan? I have a great deal of respect for the guy and think some of the personal abuse offered up on here is unfair. All I would say is that he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent person. As a player he was massively gifted and talented. Is this what he is looking for in players? Are we a team full of naturally gifted players but have no intelligent players? Could that be why people are so frustrated, because they know the players can do it, but we are just too predictable.

Can you add an option for gutless, clueless, spineless tossbags please?

I think you need a good mix. I'm sure that there are quite a few players who have one or the other. I think I have probably one of the best footballing brains around, just my natural ability is rubbish. I listened to the Football League podcast some time ago and I think it was Mick Mccarthy and a Spanish Swansea player on it, the latter was a medical scientist but was studying in his spare time to become a medical practitioner. They basically discussed how players with lesster intelligence struggled to take on instruction and therefore found it harder to adapt their style of play. I do wonder if shez is the type of person who had a good natural ability and not that much intelligence in comparison to other managers. Does the same apply to the likes of Taylor who will continue to run at two or three players rather than trying to pass around players. How our central mid players never run into space of after they pass the ball, never look for the return pass. There seems to be an inability to problem solve generally in the teams, so I would say that we are considerably lacking in grey matter and would agree with you wholeheartedly.

Right own up who voted for "intelligent footballers"? :grin:

Just for the record I don't think intelligence is an essential characteristic for a successful footballer. Just look at Beckham!

Football intelligence is very far removed from the traditional definition of intelligence! (As is spelling intelligence B) ).

Edited by maddog

id say our performances are a perfect reflection of our captains misplaced arrogance. so if there was an option for 'good, but thinks theyre great, badly lead arrogant winkers' then id vote for that.

Good for you.

Can we have a category for posters who show no evidence of intelligence or natural ability in their attempts to communicate in any rational manner?

Good for you.

Can we have a category for posters who show no evidence of intelligence or natural ability in their attempts to communicate in any rational manner?

thanks. but your post does not make sense.

your post implies that what i say is wrong and shows no inteligence. now, bearing in mind this poll relates to oldham athletic and its current players, you also imply that i deserve an option in it? from this i can only infer that you have :censored: for brains. therefore i must drop down to your level and hurl some personal abuse at you, this i will do by saying that you are clearly a :censored: wih selective memories, and an incapacity for changing your mind even as evidence begins to mount.

didnt you recently start a thread saying same old sme old? dont forget this 'same old same old' is being lead during games by your idol. also dont forget that the stats clearly show our loss percentage is far higher when sean gregan plays.

now, if youre still reading, you probably skipped this far as you couldnt follow what i said, and therefore missed the personal abuse. knobhead.

You don't need to be intelligent in the traditional sense to be a great football manager. Football intelligence is different to accepted intelligence and has very little to do with eloquence or a good vocabulary. (Just to get that particular stick to beat Shez with out of the way).

A good team needs a combination of intelligence and flair (not to mention athleticism, stamina, concentration, work rate ... ) - and certainly at our level you're unlikely to find a combination of all those positives in any one player. The nearest we've had lately were probably Eyres and Wellens. On the face of it, I think the mix of intelligence and flair in our squad isn't bad, but it has to be said the intelligence especially has looked a little lacking of late.

One thing I do know for sure. The vocal majority of fans will always prefer a flair player - mainly because they won't fully appreciate what an intelligent one is doing...

One thing I do know for sure. The vocal majority of fans will always prefer a flair player - mainly because they won't fully appreciate what an intelligent one is doing...

The most intelligent player we have is getting a bit of a raw deal at the moment - Kevin Maher. Flair player's are all well and good but when they hide - like Taylor has done for months, what use are they?

thanks. but your post does not make sense.

your post implies that what i say is wrong and shows no inteligence. now, bearing in mind this poll relates to oldham athletic and its current players, you also imply that i deserve an option in it? from this i can only infer that you have :censored: for brains. therefore i must drop down to your level and hurl some personal abuse at you, this i will do by saying that you are clearly a :censored: wih selective memories, and an incapacity for changing your mind even as evidence begins to mount.

didnt you recently start a thread saying same old sme old? dont forget this 'same old same old' is being lead during games by your idol. also dont forget that the stats clearly show our loss percentage is far higher when sean gregan plays.

now, if youre still reading, you probably skipped this far as you couldnt follow what i said, and therefore missed the personal abuse. knobhead.

My thanks in return. I can't imagine how I could ever respond to such a piece, No way could I parody your style better than you do unconsciously yourself.

The most intelligent player we have is getting a bit of a raw deal at the moment - Kevin Maher. Flair player's are all well and good but when they hide - like Taylor has done for months, what use are they?

Well said. Maher is just that presently. Allott also has an intelligent football brain, anticipating runs by both teams, looking to play the right pass at the right time , but is off his best currently.

It's a problem with players like Taylor, and Hughes. Shez knows that they can do it, the bit of magic that turns matches , so he keeps faith , believing that next match they'll deliver. Form is temporary, class permanent seems to be his belief (mine too though I do think taylor may be due at least one game on the bench - he could make a real impact with 30 mins to go).