Liddells regular five minutes

Can anyone answer as to why Shez keeps bringing on Liddell in the last five minutes of games? If you are not going to give the player (of his so called quality) more time than this why bother having him on the bench.

Personally I'm not sure if Liddell is worth a place in the squad at the moment as I feel he doesn't have much more to offer than some of the fitter / younger players who are not getting games.

Reading Windass rant, he mentioned that he was happy for a younger player to get his place on the bench at Millwall for experience, surely this should be done with Liddells five minutes, as Shez doesn't seem likely to play him for longer than that.

So Shez, what benefit to the team is it to have Liddell on for the last five minutes every game ???

...... unless it's just for him to collect his match bonus ????? <_< I suspect it may be!!!! :angry:

Edited by Waterboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone answer as to why Shez keeps bringing on Liddell in the last five minutes of games? If you are not going to give the player (of his so called quality) more time than this why bother having him on the bench.

Personally I'm not sure if Liddell is worth a place in the squad at the moment as I feel he doesn't have much more to offer than some of the fitter / younger players who are not getting games.

Reading Windass rant, he mentioned that he was happy for a younger player to get his place on the bench at Millwall for experience, surely this should be done with Liddells five minutes, as Shez doesn't seem likely to play him for longer than that.

So Shez, what benefit to the team is it to have Liddell on for the last five minutes every game ???

...... unless it's just for him to collect his match bonus ????? <_< I suspect it may be!!!! :angry:

So Shez get's slammed for playing him and now criticised for not bringing him on early enough? :unsure: Yet you don't even think he should be in the squad?? WTF? :unsure::unsure: I wouldn't want to manage Latics!

I posted this last week, all of his detractors ignored it.

I note Andy Liddell is currently top of our assists table and joint second with Taylor in the goals table. He is just 10th in the starts table, and always 'takes care of the ball'. Maybe that's why Shez is so pally?

Quality counts, if only he wouldn't point. ^_^

So why only the last five minutes? Or ten as I think it was last night? Maybe because Shez trusts him to see games out, as he has experience and 'takes care of the ball'?? I very much doubt it's to do with his appearance fee. :laught16:

I would have brought him on much earlier last night. Also, our best form this season was when he was in the side and ramming his critics words back down their throats.

:)

Edited by Stitch_KTF

So Shez get's slammed for playing him and now criticised for not bringing him on early enough? :unsure: Yet you don't even think he should be in the squad?? WTF? :unsure::unsure: I wouldn't want to manage Latics!

I posted this last week, all of his detractors ignored it.

So why only the last five minutes? Or ten as I think it was last night? Maybe because Shez trusts him to see games out, as he has experience and 'takes care of the ball'?? I very much doubt it's to do with his appearance fee. :laught16:

I would have brought him on much earlier last night. Also, our best form this season was when he was in the side and ramming his critics words back down their throats.

:)

good evening ...it would be interesting to know when his contract expires....

every dog has his day and sadly for me andrew is ready for retirement...i think that he would be a good coach given the chance..if i was a football chairman[which i ain't] andrrew is just the fella i would emply on my coaching staff...expierience loads of it.....

good evening ...it would be interesting to know when his contract expires....

every dog has his day and sadly for me andrew is ready for retirement...i think that he would be a good coach given the chance..if i was a football chairman[which i ain't] andrrew is just the fella i would emply on my coaching staff...expierience loads of it.....

Evening sir. I believe he signed a one year deal in the summer (for much less money).

Maybe he is ready for retirement at our level. The thing is Andy Liddell is a footballer, presumably quite a wealthy one, and wants to continue to play at whatever level he can for as long as he can. (Source - Leeslover) I can imagine him turning out for The Dog & Duck when he's 52, but before then I can see him visiting League 2, then the Conference etc rather than coaching.

He loves the game and always tries his best. That's a major reason why I like him so much and always defend him on here.

I'd still be starting Smalley, however the bulk of my previous post was based on facts......fairly impressive ones for a footballer with no legs. :wink:

This is getting boring.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club.

When he first signed for us i was over the moon.

Its obvious that he won't be given another contract unless it is in some for of coaching capacity. He could still be registered and called upon if needed.

I can't believe some people think that he comes on for five mins so that he collects a match bonus. How would that benefit Shez?!

Maybe he has been brought on so that if we get a set piece late in the game then he can delivery a quality ball into the box.

and he points a lot!

I know. Although most can forgive the lack of pace which spoils his game, this persistant on-field communication and guidance will surely be the end of him. If only somebody would tell him he's only played hundreds of games, and is no longer the club captain.

Evening sir. I believe he signed a one year deal in the summer (for much less money).

Yep for much less money but a good appearance fee !

So the £100's of pounds that Andy L is collecting for his 4 mins, 5 mins sometimes even 8 mins in games on top of his basic wage is justified ?

Andy L hasnt played a full 90 mins for us including all his sub appearances for months, the time he is on the pitch is it worth it ? Could Shez have;

1) Saved the club £x in wage bonuses

2) Enabled some-one like Lee or Black et al some 1st team exp.

3) Made Andy L play for a full game an actually earn his money ?????

Shez in or shez out, thats not my issue. My money, Your money is being wasted on A player like Andy L who hasn't done anything with his time on the pitch recently.

Agree Andy L is helping Smalley and other players in training but if thats what he is here for (coaching) so be it ! But why bring him on with mins to go like against Bristol Rovers were there was nothing he could do when others on the bench really need the time for experience (which everybody keeps saying Lids as lots of) but dont get it

Maybe he is ready for retirement at our level. The thing is Andy Liddell is a footballer, presumably quite a wealthy one, and wants to continue to play at whatever level he can for as long as he can. (Source - Leeslover) I can imagine him turning out for The Dog & Duck when he's 52, but before then I can see him visiting League 2, then the Conference etc rather than coaching.

He loves the game and always tries his best. That's a major reason why I like him so much and always defend him on here.

I'd still be starting Smalley, however the bulk of my previous post was based on facts......fairly impressive ones for a footballer with no legs. :wink:

Lidds surprised me with his form early in the season - i thought he was for the knackers yard half way through last season with his injury - credit where its due, he worked his way back to fitness & started this season impressively.

BUT (here it comes! :grin: )

We've moved on now. Smalley has done enough to claim the RW spot & we look more of an attacking threat with pace on both flanks.

Smalley gives the LB's he plays against trouble because they dont know what he's going to do; beat them on the outside with skill & pace, cut in-field or pass it on simple. LB's know what Lidds will do as he will never beat them like smalley does either inside or outside, so they know its a pass inside or a (very) deep cross from Lidds and that pretty much it. Easy to predict & easy to defend.

I thought we'd miss his set pieces after the early season form where his corners started to beat the first man - but in Kev Maher i think we've found a more than capable replacement; his deliveries (all bar the really over hit one last night) have been consistently good & threatning recently.

His pointing that he does i never noticed that much & when i did it never really bothered me until i read so many people talk about it on here. Last night when he came on (for a clearly knsackered & crocked Smalley) i watched Lidds more closely than i think i ever have - and the Pointing thing really got to me. At one stage; 'tracking back' he nearly tripped himself up spinning around & pointing whilst not following the run of Parker. Know-one actually payed any notice to his points either; nothing was acted on that he pointed to. Quite laughable now i've watched it closely - Andy; STOP IT!!!

Penalty wise, we dont have as reliable taker in the side as Lidds; fact! Hughesy has missed 2 this season, Eardley has looked good taking them when required but he missed in the JPT shoot-out. If we win a pen & Lidds is on the field then its a goal really - i'm not that confident with any other player.

Shez has siad on many occasions that Lidds presence in the dressing room of great benift to the club as he's a talker & helps the younger players. Fine. I'm cool with that.

I now just don't see what he brings to the party; open play wise. Pen's yes. In game play......big no now.

His 5-10 min cameo last night achieved nothing. He didn't "take care of the ball" & hedidn't provide an outlet & his experience counted for nothing. Lee or Whitts could have done what he did last night; with far less pointing!!!!

Thanks Andy, you've been nice little servent to us; scored goals & had a real purple patch assisst wise in that season but i can't help feeling your time is up. Let the kids have a go now please.

P.s I hear Rochdale are looking for Right Mid & they love a good point over in 'Dale!!!

Edited by slystallone

QUOTE (Nickhenryslovechild @ Mar 3 2009, 18:25 PM)

So OWTB legend has it.......

As the rest of your post is based on this hearsay I can't be arsed discussing it.

On this thread, today, I only deal in facts.... :tongue1:

According to the Windass blog, you get appearance money for being on the bench. That is fact. It's in black and white.

As it;s on the internet, it must be true. I am sure Windass had time to check the details of what he wrote befre submitting it too.

Actually, that last bit might not be 100% true.

Edited by singe

Lidds surprised me with his form early in the season - i thought he was for the knackers yard half way through last season with his injury - credit where its due, he worked his way back to fitness & started this season impressively.

BUT (here it comes! :grin: )

He was impressive wasn't he? :lol: Wasn't that long ago was it? :lol: Proved you wrong didn't he? :lol: Quickly written him off again haven't you? :lol: Points too much doesn't he? :ohno:

Anyway like I said I'd start Smalley too, even though in 10 years Lidds will still be taking better care of the ball than him.

Oh and by the way Deano nearly always cuts inside when, with his pace, he should nearly always go outside. If I could run like that lad I'd carve a career out of the game. It drives me mad.

That's it for me now - I'm leaving you to the wolves Lidds. What can be said has been said.

what facts do you want ?

what comments do you count as hearsay ?

Erm, the one I quoted? :unsure:

FFS.... :laught16:

According to the Windass blog, you get appearance money for being on the bench. That is fact. It's in black and white.

Fair enough but that means it applies to all players (which renders most of Nick Henrys post worthless) and it doesn't say anything about how big Liddell's appearance fee is (which renders your back up worthless).

:tongue1:

Erm, the one I quoted? :unsure:

FFS.... :laught16:

Fair enough but that means it applies to all players (which renders most of Nick Henrys post worthless) and it doesn't say anything about how big Liddell's appearance fee is (which renders your back up worthless).

:tongue1:

Windass got bonus for sitting on the bench because he is Dean Windass super star :unsure:

Most of the current squad get bonus based on the number of games they play in a season, if they come onto the pitch, if they do promo work for the club ie Hospital schoold etc and so on.

Lets just say that the time Andy L has spent on the pitch coming on as sub is approx £3 k .

Now if people at the club read that they will be thinking WTF. How does he know that ! Easy stop players getting drunk !

So the £100's of pounds that Andy L is collecting for his 4 mins, 5 mins sometimes even 8 mins in games on top of his basic wage is justified ?

Andy L hasnt played a full 90 mins for us including all his sub appearances for months, the time he is on the pitch is it worth it ? Could Shez have;

1) Saved the club £x in wage bonuses

2) Enabled some-one like Lee or Black et al some 1st team exp.

3) Made Andy L play for a full game an actually earn his money ?????

:lol:

1) I would imagine that most of the the players will have appearance bonuses built into their contracts.

2)Kieran Lee has had 2 games I think - clearly Sheridan sees (or doesn't see) something in his training/play/attitude/application which has kept him out of the squad. Paul Black is a defender who has been badly injured for much of the season.

3) Liddell isn't here to play the full 90 mins week in week out, and the fickle lot on here would be the first up in arms if Smalley (who is clearly the future) was dropped for Lidds to play 90 mins.

Liddell may now not have the legs, but I wish we had a couple more like him and Allott, who were capable of looking after the ball a bit more.

Andy Liddell is a great servant on a day when Dean Windass has shamed the club and Sean Gregan supposedly attacked Taylor I think it shameful to have a go at some one who has helped devlop alot of our young stars, he points because he a great reader of the game and his pointing has helped Eardley over the last couple of seasons.

Get off the backs of Sheridan and Liddell it makes us Oldham fans appear idiots when we criticise people who are gueinuly giving their best for the club.

:lol:

1) I would imagine that most of the the players will have appearance bonuses built into their contracts.

2)Kieran Lee has had 2 games I think - clearly Sheridan sees (or doesn't see) something in his training/play/attitude/application which has kept him out of the squad. Paul Black is a defender who has been badly injured for much of the season.

3) Liddell isn't here to play the full 90 mins week in week out, and the fickle lot on here would be the first up in arms if Smalley (who is clearly the future) was dropped for Lidds to play 90 mins.

Liddell may now not have the legs, but I wish we had a couple more like him and Allott, who were capable of looking after the ball a bit more.

maybe these lads are to accomodate all the loanees simple as

Get off the backs of Sheridan and Liddell it makes us Oldham fans appear idiots when we criticise people who are gueinuly giving their best for the club.

Seriously how can you say Liddell is giving his all, he asn't played more than 90mins in total for months! If this is the case for the rest of the season why have him on the books ?

Seriously how can you say Liddell is giving his all, he asn't played more than 90mins in total for months! If this is the case for the rest of the season why have him on the books ?

What a ridiculous comment. It is not his choice not to be playing 90 minutes is it.