its the year diego was born ! really it was the year pine villa was formed ,after a few men meet at the featherstall and junction hotel in oldham , the man we can thank is called john garland and his son fred , along with a few regulars decided to form a football team , PINE VILLA

Edited by boboafc

What is the significance of the big banner? My commemorative mug tells me 1995 was the

centenary.

Think this was brought up on here sometime ago and it was mentioned it was a genuine mistake ? Oopps.... shame really, as it's a quality flag.

its the year diego was born ! really it was the year pine villa was formed ,after a few men meet at the featherstall and junction hotel in oldham , the man we can thank is called john garland and his son fred , along with a few regulars decided to form a football team , PINE VILLA

Not in 1897 they didn't!

............. and my Great Grandfather one Ernest Tetlow, one of the original 20.

according to garth dykes "complete record" book..

"..the club played 2 seasons from 1897 as pine villa before changing their name,athough some sources give 1894 as the date of the clubs foundation.however,the first time their name appears in print-as far as the writer can find-is monday 18 nov 1895 when the result of a game played the previous saturday was reported.it was just the bare scoreline,pine villa beating boothill albion "A" by 4-0 and it seems that 1887 marked the start of any competitive league football."

so,they were in exsistance way before 1897,but entered a league in that year.

edit...ok, it was late!!! :lol:

Edited by johnny punkster

according to garth dykes "complete record" book..

"..the club played 2 seasons from 1897 as pine villa before changing their name,athough some sources give 1894 as the date of the clubs foundation.however,the first time their name appears in print-as far as the writer can find-is monday 18 nov 1895 when the result of a game played the previous saturday was reported.it was just the bare scoreline,pine villa beating boothill albion "A" by 4-0 and it seems that 1987 marked the start of any competitive league football."

so,they were in exsistance way before 1897,but entered a league in that year.

:shock: Bloody Hell what was I watching in the 1970's and early 1980's. :grin:

That's some ancestry...

Actually to my embarassment, he was called Alfred not Ernest! :blush:

It gets a bit better actually, as my Great Grandfather 'Flash' Harry Garland (allegedly, I've never researched it) played a few times for either Pine Villa or Oldham Athletic.

But I'm still not a superfan as I missed a home FA Cup tie a while back.

Actually to my embarassment, he was called Alfred not Ernest! :blush:

It gets a bit better actually, as my Great Grandfather 'Flash' Harry Garland (allegedly, I've never researched it) played a few times for either Pine Villa or Oldham Athletic.

But I'm still not a superfan as I missed a home FA Cup tie a while back.

..and a few reserve games you conveniently omitted..!

IS the Tetlow related to the Tetlow that used to have the butchers in Diggle? It's a relatively unusual name.

Apologies if I have, I have a feeling I may have asked this before.

Edited by singe

..and a few reserve games you conveniently omitted..!

IS the Tetlow related to the Tetlow that used to have the butchers in Diggle? It's a relatively unusual name.

Apologies if I have, I have a feeling I may have asked this before.

I'm not sure, the Tetlow name died out with my Grandma's generation.............. but everyone else was from Chaddy so I'm guessing there was no link to the Diggle Tetlow's. You never know though!

If you have asked that before I've forgotten so it's no problem :grin:

I'm not sure, the Tetlow name died out with my Grandma's generation.............. but everyone else was from Chaddy so I'm guessing there was no link to the Diggle Tetlow's. You never know though!

If you have asked that before I've forgotten so it's no problem :grin:

Bleedin Ell Rick, it's like an episode of Who Do You Think You Are on here tonight :lol:

Bleedin Ell Rick, it's like an episode of Who Do You Think You Are on here tonight :lol:

:grin:

I still have the original articles of assosiation from the FA and the twenty shares my Great Granfather got at the formation of Oldham Athletic. Sadly due to that :censored: Chris M***e we are no longer shareholders.

Anyway, there ends tonight's history lesson (you'll be pleased to hear Rick :wink: )

Edited by ghostofcecere