My View (for what it`s worth)

One comment stood out for me yesterday, amongst the usual tripe thats shouted at the game someone reminded a fan that we haven`t dropped out of the top 6 for the vast majority of the season, if at all. Whilst were having abit of a wobble at the minute, i think some people really are just jumping on the Shez out bandwagon. Now i`m not a deluded happy clapper, yesterday was absolutely woeful, as was Bristol, and Hereford, but if Shez was so clueless would why has he kept us in the top 6 all season, why has he guided us to a playoff place already.

Our main troubles do seem to be at home, against the better sides the fans are behind the team and they respond, surely it`s no coincedence that since the atmosphere has turned alittle ugly were struggling, people turn up at BP and are almost happy to see us cock-up so they can have a pop, hence why the away trips are so much more enjoyable, and usually the performances are a hell of alot better than they are at home. Shez clearly isn`t useless, our record against the top 6 backs that up! He`s a young man learning the trade, and for me the vast majority of the abuse he gets, on here and at the games isn`t needed, and certainly dosen`t help the team. Instead of people abusing the team, and coming out with snidey comments why not actually get behind them, were in March and were still in the playoff positions, it`s a time for everyone to come together and push on. Whatever you think of Sheridan, surely it`s better to keep your abuse until the end of the season, when ultimately he`ll be jugded. If, come May were at Wembley i`m sure everyone will be licking his arse.

As the saying goes, if you`ve nothing nice to say .. dont say anything at all!

People question his motivational skills .. but no matter what he says at HT if the fans are just waiting for the lads to make a mistake then it won`t really have an effect. There clearly nervey playing at home, and that is not Shez`s fault .. it`s those who sit there with nothing better to say then moan. Were not a million miles away from getting out of this division, everyone in that top 6 is as good as anyone else, if we all pull together then we`ll have a far better chance of promotion than if we don`t!

KeepTheFaith.

P.s Queue the onslaught for having a different opinion than the majority on here (and for not being a Shez outer!).

One comment stood out for me yesterday, amongst the usual tripe thats shouted at the game someone reminded a fan that we haven`t dropped out of the top 6 for the vast majority of the season, if at all. Whilst were having abit of a wobble at the minute, i think some people really are just jumping on the Shez out bandwagon. Now i`m not a deluded happy clapper, yesterday was absolutely woeful, as was Bristol, and Hereford, but if Shez was so clueless would why has he kept us in the top 6 all season, why has he guided us to a playoff place already.

Our main troubles do seem to be at home, against the better sides the fans are behind the team and they respond, surely it`s no coincedence that since the atmosphere has turned alittle ugly were struggling, people turn up at BP and are almost happy to see us cock-up so they can have a pop, hence why the away trips are so much more enjoyable, and usually the performances are a hell of alot better than they are at home. Shez clearly isn`t useless, our record against the top 6 backs that up! He`s a young man learning the trade, and for me the vast majority of the abuse he gets, on here and at the games isn`t needed, and certainly dosen`t help the team. Instead of people abusing the team, and coming out with snidey comments why not actually get behind them, were in March and were still in the playoff positions, it`s a time for everyone to come together and push on. Whatever you think of Sheridan, surely it`s better to keep your abuse until the end of the season, when ultimately he`ll be jugded. If, come May were at Wembley i`m sure everyone will be licking his arse.

People question his motivational skills .. but no matter what he says at HT if the fans are just waiting for the lads to make a mistake then it won`t really have an effect. There clearly nervey playing at home, and that is not Shez`s fault .. it`s those who sit there with nothing better to say then moan. Were not a million miles away from getting out of this division, everyone in that top 6 is as good as anyone else, if we all pull together then we`ll have a far better chance of promotion than if we don`t!

KeepTheFaith.

P.s Queue the onslaught for having a different opinion than the majority on here (and for not being a Shez outer!).

A good piece mate, well thought out

KeepTheFaith.

Don't agree with everything you say but good post nevertheless.

Agree that some of our fans thing we have a god given right to beat any team we are above in the league and get on the teams back rather than getting behind the team if things dont go to plan.

However the way we are playing I think it is a case of when, not if, we drop out of the top 6 and I think sheridan does not have the slightest clue as to how to turn it around. If in 4 -5 games time we are in top 6 still then give him untill the end of the season. If we have dropped out and lost some ground, I would be in favour of dismissing him then and give any new manager a good few games to assess the team.

People question his motivational skills .. but no matter what he says at HT if the fans are just waiting for the lads to make a mistake then it won`t really have an effect. There clearly nervey playing at home, and that is not Shez`s fault.

I take on board most of what you say.

Although I think the decline has been terminal from about the moment we took the lead against MK Dons. I have run out of "let's see where we are at the end of the season" phrases, because I don't think we'll be in the mix.

I quoted the part paragraph above because I don't agree with any of it.

Motivational skills aren't about a half time team talk. They need to be on show 95% of the time through the week. In training, pre-match, post-match, on the touchline, at the dogs night out etc etc. They need to be present in what's said to the press. And in what isn't said. They need to be there when explaining what a player needs to do to improve, not just to tell them they were abysmal. I say 95%. It should be 100%, but I accept people are human.

Shez should be able to instill belief in his players. An ability to rise above the crowd. An ability to raise your game before a bollocking.

Quite simply, he doesn't.

Motivational skills aren't about a half time team talk.

I know, it was just an example really. Look at recent games, Leicester away, down to 10 men and tactically and motivationally Shez got it spot on, and maybe if it wasnt for Lewi falling over we`d have won it! Millwall away .. we lose our 2 goal lead, but we don`t gave in and rescue the 3 points at the death (althought i do question the HT team-talk there :grin: ). Latics have always struggled getting the wins in the more mundane games, i just think it`s time people put there Shez out comments to one side and actually pulled together ... as like i said we`ll stand more of a chance of going up if were all pulling in the same direction than if were not!

Cheers for the adult reply to btw, makes a change for someone to maybe not agree with everything someone says without resorting to childish name-calling etc!

However the way we are playing I think it is a case of when, not if, we drop out of the top 6 and I think sheridan does not have the slightest clue as to how to turn it around.

I`m sure people said that before we took 4 points against Millwall and Leeds though.

Yesterday was bad, really bad, im not denying that, i just think some people are going way over-board in some of the comments ive read and heard.

Cheers for the adult reply to btw, makes a change for someone to maybe not agree with everything someone says without resorting to childish name-calling etc!

I'm a big boy now, as I discovered when I moved my season ticket to the RRE and tried to get through the turnstiles :grin:

I do occasionally slip in to a slanging match on here, but prefer rational debate.

KeepTheFaith.

Spot on mate, totally agree!

I`m sure people said that before we took 4 points against Millwall and Leeds though.

Yesterday was bad, really bad, im not denying that, i just think some people are going way over-board in some of the comments ive read and heard.

Despite the thread I started on bring back big Joe, I will continue to support the manger and players throughout any of the 90 minutes of any game this season, be it in the league or hopefully the playoffs. As stated previously, getting up this season is imo essential due to financial issues that will present themselves over the next 12 months and affect the clubs budgets.

As I have also previously said I don't boo at any half or full times and don't slag players off during games. In fact in gerneral I just go quiet or if there is a Kn*bhead anywhere near me I tend to stick up and support the abused player.

However, tta will make a call on the managers future be it now or at the end of the season, but you can see from the increased frustration of fans on here who 6 months ago were definately behind the manager that the tide is turning and the owners have shown in the past that if the season ticket and match day income streams are likley to be affected, they will not hesitate to act, whether or not they back the manager.

Cheers,

Harry

KeepTheFaith.

Nail on head.

KeepTheFaith.

Excellent post! Agree 100%

KeepTheFaith.

Its not so much losing its the style we are losing in thats the problem.

yes we are in the top 6 and still have a chance of going up but the football is cr*p.

Is this now the standard in league one ??

If it is and all the teams are the same then you can argue that Shez is doing a good job.

However the standard of our home games since October (apart from stockport) has been dire.

If that is the standard accepted then i don't want to watch it and in all honesty i would sooner watch Latics try hard, play well and then take whatver results come along.

Getting into the play offs this season compared with when we got there under Dowie is no comparison in terms of the quality of football.

Most people that come on moaning i suspect are moaning about the standard as opposed to the actual result.

If we had lost one nil yesterday but played like we did against stockport then there would be few complaints just probably hard luck stories.

People will not pay £20 to watch the cr*p being served up at BP not matter where we are in the league and our crowds are testiment to that.

Whats the point of being in the championship , playing cr*p and having 4000 there ???

If we were half way up the league playing reasonable football our gates would probably be better.

Times are hard and people think twice about paying £20 to watch football. They will only watch this cr*p once then wont bother again.

Keep playing like this and our crowds will be zero.

no crowd no team - then it doesn't matter what league or position you are in.

Edited by losesome

I'm quite aghast at the number of posts being rational and not agreeing with the Shez out brigade - I really didnt fancy coming on OWTB after Sat'di's match but have been quite surprised of the number of people seemingly willing to carry on backing the boys at all costs - what a refreshing change!!

Our main troubles do seem to be at home, against the better sides the fans are behind the team and they respond, surely it`s no coincedence that since the atmosphere has turned alittle ugly were struggling, people turn up at BP and are almost happy to see us cock-up so they can have a pop, hence why the away trips are so much more enjoyable, and usually the performances are a hell of alot better than they are at home. Shez clearly isn`t useless, our record against the top 6 backs that up! He`s a young man learning the trade, and for me the vast majority of the abuse he gets, on here and at the games isn`t needed, and certainly dosen`t help the team. Instead of people abusing the team, and coming out with snidey comments why not actually get behind them,

People question his motivational skills .. but no matter what he says at HT if the fans are just waiting for the lads to make a mistake then it won`t really have an effect. There clearly nervey playing at home, and that is not Shez`s fault .. it`s those who sit there with nothing better to say then moan.

this sounds like maine road in the 80s frustrate citeah and the fans get on there back .

mebe its all them citeah fans at oldham that noel galagher was on about :grin:

I'm quite aghast at the number of posts being rational and not agreeing with the Shez out brigade - I really didnt fancy coming on OWTB after Sat'di's match but have been quite surprised of the number of people seemingly willing to carry on backing the boys at all costs - what a refreshing change!!

I`m shocked that people agreed with me tbh, and those that didn`t actually put forward a rational post.

I need to lie down ...

I`m shocked that people agreed with me tbh, and those that didn`t actually put forward a rational post.

I need to lie down ...

And here's another voice of agreement to keep you company as you have a lie down.

I am as frustrated as hell about the way we've not nailed our place in the top two, equally so about some recent performances. But I'll keep it confined to chunterings rather than abusing individuals at matches or on here. We are a "grand old club" ( as a former columnist in the Chron, John Gaunt used to refer to Latics) and have held on in the face of adversity in the past. We need to bite the bullet and show support for the next ten matches. And that isn't done by the spewings of vileness I read on here, or hear at the game.

Edited by LaticsPete

This season has had many frustrating times, but also many great ones. We are not the finished article, and we are far to inconsistent to be anything other than a 'team in the mix', but still its nice being in the mix and having an interest in the season as it draws to an end.

I back Shez and am happy he is here for all of next season, no matter what happens over the next few months - I believe that he is a good young manager with potential to get better with experience; it seems the longer managers get, the better they become; and finally we are hardly likely to get a better manager in (but just a different one).

However the one point I'd make about the 'not being out of the Top 6' statement. We are and have been in a false position for a number of weeks now due to the number of teams around us with games in hand. Whilst we have been 4th for a few weeks and have only slipped to 5th, in real terms I feel we are more like 7th and need another team to slip up to let us back in.

We all get frustrated when we see the team drop points at home against Yeovil, Bristol, Colchester etc. because we know we could/should do better. But at the same time we have performed better than expected against Millwall, Leicster, Leeds etc.

Would we feel any better sitting on the same points as we are now, but instead we'd lost to Leeds, Millwall, Leicster and beaten Yeovil, Bristol and Colchester?

Instead of 'we can't beat poor teams', 'Shez cannot motivate the players', we'd instead be saying things like 'we are just not good enough', 'we don't have the quality to beat the top sides' etc.

[

Instead of 'we can't beat poor teams', 'Shez cannot motivate the players', we'd instead be saying things like 'we are just not good enough', 'we don't have the quality to beat the top sides' etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes but we can beat the top sides we have beaten mk dons scunthorpe leeds drawn twice with leicester beaten millwall twice drawn at peterborough. What people are annoyed about is that we know we are good enough but they cannot be arsed against teams like carlisle bristol rovers yeovil etc and that is the managers fault.

The thing that really gets my goat though is that at the beginning of the season when we were flying, from some reason he started p/issing about with a winning team and started bringing in loanee after loanee after loanee.

The old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" comes to mind.

I think the key to all this is ........ most of the other teams are just as inconsistent as us ... Leeds. Dongs, Posh, Trannies and Scunny , Millwall ... frustrating results all round beaten by the likes of Yeovil and Hereford... It isnt JUST us, if it were we would have been out of the top six weeks ago. Thats why theis league is so so frustrating ......

Yes, most teams are inconsistent. But it's going to bite us in the behind. The games in hand other teams have are going to push us out of the playoffs.

I am not a Shez outer or inner, but I can't see the way forward anymore. PLayers fighting amongst themselves, the reputation of the club being laughed at in national press. Something isn't right and it needs fixing.

I honestly can't see how we will finish in the playoffs. And with the SQUAD we have, not team, as this season we have a squad, we should at least be in the playoffs.

Is this now the standard in league one ??

Ok this will now out me as a Setanta subscriber - but did anyone see the Everton - Middlesborough match yesterday? It was shocking, loose passes, poor decisions - a real scrappy game; not too dissimilar in quality to our match with Leeds last week.

The Consistency/Inconsistency issue is what I think winds fans up the most - it certainly infuriates the hell out of me. You see us playing well against the top teams and struggling against the lower and we wonder why. However maybe we need to remember that league one football teams are inconsistent the majority of the time; that is why they are in league one! The only real consistent team in this league is Leicester and look at how they are running away with it.

I'm a Shez in because if you read most of the stuff written by the out brigade then you would think that the club was heading for relegation - well we're not, we're heading for promotion (again) and if we can put in the graft then I honestly believe we can do it this season. And all this with one of the smallest budgets in the league apparantely...

Come on you 'tics!

People will not pay £20 to watch the cr*p being served up at BP not matter where we are in the league and our crowds are testiment to that.

Whats the point of being in the championship , playing cr*p and having 4000 there ???

If we were half way up the league playing reasonable football our gates would probably be better.

Times are hard and people think twice about paying £20 to watch football. They will only watch this cr*p once then wont bother again.

Keep playing like this and our crowds will be zero.

no crowd no team - then it doesn't matter what league or position you are in.

on the topic of 20 quid entry fee, you could convert that to $50 aus.

this is exactly the price i paid for my ticket a couple of weeks ago to the a-league grand final. melb v adel.

world class stadium, 53,000+ spectators and decent level of football, huge atmosphere, and beamed to 85million around the world.

i can't help thinking it won't be long before live football will be taken away from the average joe blow in england. bloody shame really.

The team near me is called Vent Forret. Theyre the main team in Yamanashi and are in the 1st division equivelent. They're not good by all means but they sell out to 40,000 every week and there is always a party atmosphere. All ages are the same price.... 800 yen (about 7quid in today's market.... used to be 4quid last year)

Now I know 'soccer' isn't that popular here compaired to baseball but they still pull in the crowds. EVERY match is on a Sunday.

The reason people support this rubbish team though is because it is the only one around worth watching. I'm afraid England may end up the same - all the small clubs will fold. If we don't get out of this crappy league this season I fear we're dooomed.

I haven't lost the faith - but I will if there is nothing to have faith in.

KeepTheFaith.

This is exactly what I tried to say yesterday. Well done! Let's hope some of the moaners hear us!