Boycotting

Is anyone boycotting on Saturday?

It seems to me that attitudes towards MK have softened over the last couple of years...maybe it's because of all the furore over Doggygate this week, but there appears to have been no mention of people not going on Saturday. IIRC, a fair few on the old JKL claimed they were boycotting when we played down at the Hockey Stadium. It feels like they've now become 'part of the furniture', and whilst there'll always be the Franchise banter, a lot of the disdain towards them has quietened down.

Is anyone boycotting on Saturday?

It seems to me that attitudes towards MK have softened over the last couple of years...maybe it's because of all the furore over Doggygate this week, but there appears to have been no mention of people not going on Saturday. IIRC, a fair few on the old JKL claimed they were boycotting when we played down at the Hockey Stadium. It feels like they've now become 'part of the furniture', and whilst there'll always be the Franchise banter, a lot of the disdain towards them has quietened down.

It's latics,i will be there same as i would be there if we played....

F.C Hitler

Stalin United

or MAOchester Rovers

Boycotting is another word for Can't be arsed!!

They will never get a penny from me.

franchise-zoom.gif

I'll be sat in a pub in Manchester wearing this tee-shirt (Which was created by Grimsby Town zine-site Cod Almighty for their paintpot cup final against them last season).

To be honest, I'd have gone but finances dictate. They're still Bastard Franchise Scum and deserve to be treated with disdain forever.

Guest sheridans_world
Interesting then...I'm fairly sure a lot boycotted at the Hockey Stadium.

Not from my memory of going. There was a good couple of hundred there.

If I remember correctly, Gareth Owen got subbed very early on for Rob Scott who was replaced after about twenty minutes by Marc Tierney. Both did go off injured, not performance related :grin:

We won 1-0, we never, ever deserved to win that game!

Both right, if people don`t want to go then just say, don`t hide behind the word boycott!

Boycott - To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavour.

I am not attending the game tomorrow.

I have both the financial means to do so, and the willingness to travel long distances to support the team.

I will never knowingly financially contribute to an organisation whose practices or actions I find morally unacceptable - be it a financial institution, soft drink manufacturer or sporting franchise.

I am fully aware that, in isolation, my actions may be considered futile.

Frankly Mr Shankly - a friend of mine is a Bristol Rovers supporting Grimsby sympathiser who made me aware of the shirt.

(As an aside, what has happened to the OWTB T-Shirt series?)

Wasn't the whole point of them giving the trophies back an agreement with the Federation of Football Fans (or whatever it is called) that they would recommend that fans now go there, rather than boycotting. If they've given the green light then I would say there isn't much point in not going*.

*Not that it stopped me previously anyway, but in protest I turned up 15 minutes late and missed any latics goals. That showed them.

Not from my memory of going. There was a good couple of hundred there.

If I remember correctly, Gareth Owen got subbed very early on for Rob Scott who was replaced after about twenty minutes by Marc Tierney. Both did go off injured, not performance related :grin:

We won 1-0, we never, ever deserved to win that game!

That was the second year I think. I think the first year we drew 1-1, Beckett scored for us first half and we got battered for the rest of the game before Gareth Edds scored with five minutes to go.

I remember Miskelly turning round and mouthing to a fan behind the goal 'how long?' after they scored. He then put five fingers up to check, before clearly shouting 'f**k' to himself when the answer was confirmed.

Still, is a couple of hundred a lot for Latics at a new ground? I'm not sure...

I wont be going to that place. Not tomorrow, not ever. Nothing to do with finances, I could go but I wont go. They are scum who stole a football club.

I think the reason there have not been many people saying that they are boycotting this time is that the argument has been done to death....seems like the same thread every time that we play them. My stance hasnt softened, and I doubt the people who said they were boycotting them last time will have changed.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Guest sheridans_world
That was the second year I think. I think the first year we drew 1-1, Beckett scored for us first half and we got battered for the rest of the game before Gareth Edds scored with five minutes to go.

I remember Miskelly turning round and mouthing to a fan behind the goal 'how long?' after they scored. He then put five fingers up to check, before clearly shouting 'f**k' to himself when the answer was confirmed.

Still, is a couple of hundred a lot for Latics at a new ground? I'm not sure...

I dont know, but it isnt the closest of grounds...

If no Latics fans went tomorrow, would we be able to beat the MK Dons, especially after the week that we have had, would the team be able to raise their game. What if come the end of the season MK dons grabbed automatic promotion by 1 point. Would those who boycotted the match be glad that they won the battle only to have lost the war?

You only have to look at Ronnie Moores first season to see what could happen. An 85 min equaliser by the dons got them a single point. That single point was enough to ensure the Dons survival come the end of the season.

Boycotting the game might seem to be a good way to hit back at the Dongles but if you look at the bigger picture, may only help them in the long term, at the expense of clubs like ourselves. Boycotting DOngles in also boycotting Oldham and is biting your nose off to spite your face. Support your club!!!

I'm not getting this animosity towards the Dons so could someone explain please?

Does the fault lie with:

- the local council for not helping the old Wimbledon by refusing planning to improve the old ground and not making land available within the borough for a ground relocation

OR

- the football league for letting a group of business men exploit the rules and moving to MK

OR

- a group of business men exploiting the rules and moving to MK

Gone are the days when the game was run by philanthropists. It's a business now and an imaginative piece of foresight by Pete Winkelman. Given the opportunity, if circumstances don't improve at BP, this scenario would be considered again by the TTA. I say "again", because wasn't relocation discussed by the TTA to Tameside (I know Ashton is on our doorstep, but a lot of diehards stated it wouldn't be Oldham and refused to give it further consideration).

What exactly does boycotting achieve? It`s not like there desperate for the money and need every possible pound. IMO, the need for 3 points outways a silly boycott!

I't wasn't when it started, fans would go to AFC Wimbledon instead with their club flags to show support - Over time the boycott is less needed in the sense it's been done, but as stated they are an evil club and shouldn't be allowed to forget it

Edited by longtimeblue

I'm not getting this animosity towards the Dons so could someone explain please?

Does the fault lie with:

- the local council for not helping the old Wimbledon by refusing planning to improve the old ground and not making land available within the borough for a ground relocation

OR

- the football league for letting a group of business men exploit the rules and moving to MK

OR

- a group of business men exploiting the rules and moving to MK

Gone are the days when the game was run by philanthropists. It's a business now and an imaginative piece of foresight by Pete Winkelman. Given the opportunity, if circumstances don't improve at BP, this scenario would be considered again by the TTA. I say "again", because wasn't relocation discussed by the TTA to Tameside (I know Ashton is on our doorstep, but a lot of diehards stated it wouldn't be Oldham and refused to give it further consideration).

So, so easy to sit in the proverbial ivory tower when it isn't your club who Winkleman has pinched, relocated 100 miles and carried on the same name virtually. It was only a couple of years ago he let them have the FA Cup and honours back. Would you feel the same if TTA left, someone came in, took us to :censored: Runcorn and called us Oldcorn Athletic FC, and boasted about being a former Premiership club to pitch to 'new fans'?

Of course football is a business. But there should still be clear rules about what you can and can't do. What Wankerman did just makes me seeth, and it's the blasé attitude like yours which give Franchise Football a future. Anyway, we've covered all this plenty of times the last time we played them.

As for boycotting. Hmm, it doesn't achieve much mainly because most football fans don't seem to have a soul, or a heart these days. That's the brutal truth of it. It's a bit like voting for the Green Party in the general elections really, and probably why I justify seeing my team play there. I think if the feeling was much stronger, and I could see the benefit of boycotting a lot more I'd do it. I suppose I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that if football fans in general simply allow people like them to do their thing then that's the way the game is going to go ultimately, and in another 20 years time I'll probably be watching Mossley, Northwich Vics or Droylsden rather than Platinum League Tier B side, Vodaphone Oldham Athletic FC.

I don't go to as many games as I used to but I always go when we play at a ground I've never been to, and have done for years. I won't be going tomorrow though. Like Leeslover, I went to the Hockey Stadium but it felt wrong so I vowed not to give them another penny. Had no intention of bringing it up on here, as I can see the argument of those who want to go and support Latics. I'm dissapointed more won't be boycotting it, but wouldn't ever attempt to persuade others not to go.

If no Latics fans went tomorrow, would we be able to beat the MK Dons, especially after the week that we have had, would the team be able to raise their game. What if come the end of the season MK dons grabbed automatic promotion by 1 point. Would those who boycotted the match be glad that they won the battle only to have lost the war?

You could use a similar argument week in week out to those who boycott supporting Latics despite attending the games