If the fairytale came true.....

.......and we won promotion this season via the play offs how would this rate against big Joe's other achievements for us?

Now I suppose winning the 2nd Division Championship and getting to wembley in the League Cup you have to say go down as bigger footballing achievements because they have far more prestige than winning the 3rd division play offs. But as has been stressed he did get time to build that great team and they were all his signing and his players where this team won't be.

Any Thoughts?

the past is legendary, but its the here and now what matters. id take the third division play offs now over any league or fa cup run back in the day

I wouldn't.

At some point I believe we will get promoted out of this division.

Whilst the memories of those acheivements 'back in the day' are priceless and help me through the suffering of crapness we have watched for the last 10 years for the most part - even if in the end we wone nothing.

Now if it was the option of a Championship now vs the cup run? Tougher call - winning trophies is what football is about, though I'd still find it hard to not have those memories of Arsenal, Villa etc,

On a slight tanget, I get really annoyed with teams like Villa who through away a chance of UEFA cup to concentrate on Champions League qualification. Fans want to win things, not just qualify for a competition they have no chance of winning and are likely to get knocked out off and end up in....yep, that's right the UEFA cup.

I wouldn't.

At some point I believe we will get promoted out of this division.

Whilst the memories of those acheivements 'back in the day' are priceless and help me through the suffering of crapness we have watched for the last 10 years for the most part - even if in the end we wone nothing.

Now if it was the option of a Championship now vs the cup run? Tougher call - winning trophies is what football is about, though I'd still find it hard to not have those memories of Arsenal, Villa etc,

On a slight tanget, I get really annoyed with teams like Villa who through away a chance of UEFA cup to concentrate on Champions League qualification. Fans want to win things, not just qualify for a competition they have no chance of winning and are likely to get knocked out off and end up in....yep, that's right the UEFA cup.

Won nothing? Do you still think West Ham won the second division championship?? :wink:

if WE do go up and its a big if, then it will just add to joes legend status at oldham

and even though its gone pear shaped over the last few weeks john sheridan will deserve alot of credit also and i for one hope he gets it.

Edited by palmer1

if you do go up and its a big if, then it will just add to joes legend status at oldham

and even though its gone pear shaped over the last few weeks john sheridan will deserve alot of credit also and i for one hope he gets it.

You?? :unsure:

Edited by jorvik_latic

the past is legendary, but its the here and now what matters. id take the third division play offs now over any league or fa cup run back in the day

NO WAY!!!! :lol:

I would spend the next 60 years in this division than not of had that run back then :) Was awesome :)

Anyway, its not a case of chossing this over that.... :)

Won nothing? Do you still think West Ham won the second division championship?? :wink:

Well that's what the trophy said :wink:

The thread I quoted stated swapping Play-off success for "any League or F.A.Cup run back in the day". It didn't refer to the Championship.

So do you think we won the F.A.Cup and / or League Cup? :wink:

I'm loving all this nostalgia and as excited as many about Saturday. However, the reality check is that big Joe has never managed at a Third Division club. We know the current players have shown brief glimpses of quality, but their only consistency is that they make mistakes. With Joe's all-out attacking style of play, we may have to score four to stand a chance of winning - that's a tall order.

The players Joe has brought in (I'm including Westlake - not yet annouced officially) may prove to be the mossing links and the confidence he instills into those players lacking it at the moment may work wonders.

I would love it, just love it if Joe is successful, but we mustn't underestimate the task he is facing.

I'm loving all this nostalgia and as excited as many about Saturday. However, the reality check is that big Joe has never managed at a Third Division club. We know the current players have shown brief glimpses of quality, but their only consistency is that they make mistakes. With Joe's all-out attacking style of play, we may have to score four to stand a chance of winning - that's a tall order.

The players Joe has brought in (I'm including Westlake - not yet annouced officially) may prove to be the mossing links and the confidence he instills into those players lacking it at the moment may work wonders.

I would love it, just love it if Joe is successful, but we mustn't underestimate the task he is facing.

Man City?

Wembley.

Play-off final v Gillingham.

Penalty shoot out.

PROMOTION!

And then another one!

Dream time!

Edited by opinions4u