Lee Hughes

Is it me or is Lee Hughes out of his depth at the moment? His touch is a mess, he doesn't seem to be getting any shots away and he looks sluggish!

Also Lee, sometimes you have to move to the ball, it doesnt always come to your feet!!

Or am I being harsh on our 18 goal striker?

He's not at his best.

I think he's lost pace this season.

Too many fags.

The main problem he has is lack of a strike partnership to feed him.

Think the 18 flatter him TBH when you compare him to Hooper, Beckford, Fryatt etc. Without looking..... 3 against Cheltenham at home, 2 Hereford at home. thats 5? Not having a go, but its clear he actually believes he is better than he is. He wants away but my guess it there wont be many takers better than us?????????

no takers better than us? rubbish

thinks hes better than he is? comes with confidence

out of his depth? laughable

hes not in form, simple. i still reckon he will hit twenty gols, and his earlier assists mean thats in excess of thirty gols that wouldnt have happened without him.

clearly a liability, sack him now.

Think the 18 flatter him TBH when you compare him to Hooper, Beckford, Fryatt etc. Without looking..... 3 against Cheltenham at home, 2 Hereford at home. thats 5? Not having a go, but its clear he actually believes he is better than he is. He wants away but my guess it there wont be many takers better than us?????????

It doesn’t flatter him at all. He’s scored 18 and if you judge on goals alone he’s one of the best strikers in this division. If you consider that Beckord and Fryatt have decent strike partners, then it makes Hughes goal tally all the more impressive. I would say his all round game is not so good and he hasn’t been creating as much. He has definitely gone off the boil but then has the rest of the team. If he doesn’t get the distribution, whats he supposed to do. I think instead of looking at Hughes, we have other problems to worry about.

without hughes where would we have been this season? can't believe people are slagging off a striker who has scored 18 goals, suffered with injury and IMO not 100% fit.

Hughes isn't out of form. The whole team is!

Maybe, but would you make him our run-away highest payed player (he will be 33 next season) and presumably look to build a team round him?

I wouldn't, although I probably would have made the mistake 6 months ago.

We certainly lack service to Lee Hughes and he clearly is frustrated by that. Just shows what Lee Hughes is all about when finally a great cross comes in ala Daniel Jones v Dons. At this level Hughes is a good un.

I'd expect any professional striker to put that cross away.

Let the wingers cross the ball, Lee. You stand in the box and score.

I thought this on Saturday RBL. Hughes is having to forage on the right wing to get the ball, and he is bugger all good to us out there. I bet you could count the number of crosses whipped into the box on one hand on Saturday.

Edit: And I'm talking about genuine 'crosses' here, not the :censored:e lofted balls that the likes of Eardley lump in from 2/3rds of the way up the pitch. You know the ones I'm talking about, where the oppo keeper has time to finish his butties and have a post meal tab before said cross drops gently into his waiting arms.

Edited by danoafc

Maybe, but would you make him our run-away highest payed player (he will be 33 next season) and presumably look to build a team round him?

I wouldn't, although I probably would have made the mistake 6 months ago.

Yes, i would. He is a proven goal scorer and these are hard to come by.

What options do we have? Lewi, O'grady, Wolfenden, Smalley? Can you see any of these scoring 20 goals a season?

Porter was a big loss to us. We need to keep Hughes and improve the quality of service he gets.

We certainly lack service to Lee Hughes and he clearly is frustrated by that. Just shows what Lee Hughes is all about when finally a great cross comes in ala Daniel Jones v Dons. At this level Hughes is a good un.

After he had been subbed last night the crosses started to come over, coincidenty I believe rather than because he had gone off, and I'm convinced that if he had still been playing (instead of Kabba) he would have headed those crosses on target, and we may even have won the game.

I thought this on Saturday RBL. Hughes is having to forage on the right wing to get the ball, and he is bugger all good to us out there. I bet you could count the number of crosses whipped into the box on one hand on Saturday.

Edit: And I'm talking about genuine 'crosses' here, not the :censored:e lofted balls that the likes of Eardley lump in from 2/3rds of the way up the pitch. You know the ones I'm talking about, where the oppo keeper has time to finish his butties and have a post meal tab before said cross drops gently into his waiting arms.

Taylor and Smalley guide to crossing

1) Keep head down so as to not see where your players are

2) Try and run past opposing team players, the more the better,

3) lose ball

Yes, i would. He is a proven goal scorer and these are hard to come by.

What options do we have? Lewi, O'grady, Wolfenden, Smalley? Can you see any of these scoring 20 goals a season?

Porter was a big loss to us. We need to keep Hughes and improve the quality of service he gets.

You miss the point slightly.....and Dean Windass is a proven goalscorer at this level. :wink:

I'm asking could the wage Hughes has been offered be better used elsewhere? I suspect it could.....

Hughes and his many strike partners have probably just 25 league goals between them. I believe spending the Hughes money on a Ritchie Wellens, and playing O'Grady and Lewi upfront (or even another striker paid for with the money saved on Maher/Allott) would, one way or another, yield more goals and more points. Or more simplistically what other strikers would be available for 4k a week? Maybe some who could score Hughesy`s goals AND eventually net us a transfer fee? Particularly with the expected drop in player wages......

I like Hughesy. He`s a good player, scores goals, (misses vital sitters), is often exciting to watch, helps create an atmosphere and he plays with enthusiasm. I'd love to keep him on a standard Latics first choice striker wage. I don't fancy keeping him on probably double that.

It's a two year deal he's been offered, he's 32. Remember how much Liddell and Gregan declined between the ages of 32 and 34???

I'd expect any professional striker to put that cross away.

And would you expect any professional striker to be in the right place? if you answer yes then it's the other professional players you'd expect to put it there. Exactly my point.

You miss the point slightly.....and Dean Windass is a proven goalscorer at this level. :wink:

I'm asking could the wage Hughes has been offered be better used elsewhere? I suspect it could.....

Hughes and his many strike partners have probably just 25 league goals between them. I believe spending the Hughes money on a Ritchie Wellens, and playing O'Grady and Lewi upfront (or even another striker paid for with the money saved on Maher/Allott) would, one way or another, yield more goals and more points. Or more simplistically what other strikers would be available for 4k a week? Maybe some who could score Hughesy`s goals AND eventually net us a transfer fee? Particularly with the expected drop in player wages......

I like Hughesy. He`s a good player, scores goals, (misses vital sitters), is often exciting to watch, helps create an atmosphere and he plays with enthusiasm. I'd love to keep him on a standard Latics first choice striker wage. I don't fancy keeping him on probably double that.

It's a two year deal he's been offered, he's 32. Remember how much Liddell and Gregan declined between the ages of 32 and 34???

If he is offered silly money that would be a detriment to the team and club then i wouldn't want to keep him.

The fact is we don't know what he has been offered.

And would you expect any professional striker to be in the right place? if you answer yes then it's the other professional players you'd expect to put it there. Exactly my point.

Isn't the right place where the cross goes?? Just kidding, I see your point. However I think the positioning for the goal we are talking about was pretty straightforward and, although the header was impressive, I think you could have found a better example of Hughesy's quality......although unfortunately you would have had to go back a fair few months. :(

If he is offered silly money that would be a detriment to the team and club then i wouldn't want to keep him.

The fact is we don't know what he has been offered.

That is exactly my concern.

We know for a fact that he has been offered the best package in TTA time. I fear that should he sign we will find ourselves still in League 1 come season 2010/11 and with our highest paid player sat on the bench in a 34 year old super sub role.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

That is exactly my concern.

We know for a fact that he has been offered the best package in TTA time. I fear that should he sign we will find ourselves still in League 1 come season 2010/11 and with our highest paid player sat on the bench in a 34 year old super sub role.

whilst any striker scoring 18 goals is a good return,possibly if he sticks a few more away in the last 7 games he is over the 20 mark,which considering our support to him would be remarkable....

i wouldnt want the club to put themself into hoc so to speak just to keep him.

its obvious he wants away,otherwise he would have signed his deal already,he is keeping his options open until may,so he knows which division we are in,if league 1 i think hes off,citing the team isnt good enough and he gave it his best shot,then going for the big last pay day.

i would imagine the money offered him would certainly pay for a couple of decent players.

he isnt a liability,however i do think he is struggling at present,either a niggly injury we dont know about,or lack of confidence and belief.