Car REG Plates

When I got pulled (on a dark and snowy M62 near Scammonden Dam in December (HOW dangerous is that?) :ranting: ) the Sheep-Pigs told me that as my reg plate read R11CK W rather than R11 CKW I was clearloy trying to avoid detection from speed cameras and ANPR. It is a complete joke - not forgettting where the money comes from to pay for their nice Volvo estate, training, tea, coffe, buscuits, wages and pension - yes, our friggin income tax.

I drive around 40,000 miles a year and see some terrible driving standards (some of them by Police cars), yet I get threatened that I may have my right to display the rteg number I bought from DVLA taken off me if I continue to display it "illegally". How can the DVLA (also paid for by us tax payers by the way) sell me my number plate and happily take my money knowing what my name is and that I am therefore likely to slightly mis-space the letters and then instruct the police thqat this is illegal?

It is a joke. I reckon you'd get less hassle for not displaying ANY number plates and just saying "They must have fallen off today, because they were there this morning".

:rant.sml:

It's the thin end of the wedge Rick. If they let that go, where do they stop? And, in fairness to the DVLA, it does say on their website that they'd rather you didn't buy the plate if you intend to mis-represent it.....

It's the thin end of the wedge Rick. If they let that go, where do they stop? And, in fairness to the DVLA, it does say on their website that they'd rather you didn't buy the plate if you intend to mis-represent it.....

Thin end of the wedge my :ass3:

In America you can gave whatever you want. If the DVLA would prefer you didn't buy the plates if you are going to misrepresent it, they shouldn't put them on sale. Providing that you have the accepted typeface and size, you should be able to represent the digits with whatever spacing you like (this will be completely readable with ANPR). You should be able to have club crest in place of the Euro/UK blue background with yellow stars if you want to and don't take your vehicle out of the country (again, wouldn't affect ANPR).

If they fine me, or remove the right for me to use the reg number, do I get a discount off my Road Tax? Sorry, rhetorical question.

As long as it's the same letters/numbers in the same order, I've never understood why it should be a problem.

Hi Pete. Such a small world. Did not realise who you were when posting. Remember us bumping into each other in Robinhill Park some years ago and then we popped in to see you when you were working for Thomas Cooks. Nice to see you are still a keen fan. Down on the Island in June.

Take car

Barry Owen

Thin end of the wedge my :ass3:

In America you can gave whatever you want. If the DVLA would prefer you didn't buy the plates if you are going to misrepresent it, they shouldn't put them on sale. Providing that you have the accepted typeface and size, you should be able to represent the digits with whatever spacing you like (this will be completely readable with ANPR). You should be able to have club crest in place of the Euro/UK blue background with yellow stars if you want to and don't take your vehicle out of the country (again, wouldn't affect ANPR).

If they fine me, or remove the right for me to use the reg number, do I get a discount off my Road Tax? Sorry, rhetorical question.

It's the law Rick. I didn't say I agreed with it, was just pointing out that your argument was a tad flawed. Anyway, what do you expect in a country where you can't even have an adult avatar on a football messageboard :wink:

good evening...traveling on the m62 the other day a super dooper top of the range sports car whizzed past me it had the registration..guilty..was it an ex con or a very richperson who likes speed cameras :grin:

used to see them (i'll explain!) all the time in around aytoun street in town...

they obviously work at the court there, and IIRC one was G11LTY and the other G1LTY!

the last time i saw them, one plate was on a porsche and the other a RR or maybe an X5......

me thinks they are prosecution lawyers????

It's the law Rick. I didn't say I agreed with it, was just pointing out that your argument was a tad flawed. Anyway, what do you expect in a country where you can't even have an adult avatar on a football messageboard :wink:

I know it is the law, but the law is an ass :dedhrse:

The Police should be clamping down on the Gypos who write their reg numbers on cardboard, or display different plates on their caravan to that on their Transit Pick Up and those people who deliberately alter the typeface of digits to make them look like something else. Put simplistically, the law should be changed to read that if your licence plate cannot be recognised by ANPR it is illegal. If it can be read by ANPR, then it is legal.

I know it is the law, but the law is an ass :dedhrse:

The Police should be clamping down on the Gypos who write their reg numbers on cardboard, or display different plates on their caravan to that on their Transit Pick Up and those people who deliberately alter the typeface of digits to make them look like something else. Put simplistically, the law should be changed to read that if your licence plate cannot be recognised by ANPR it is illegal. If it can be read by ANPR, then it is legal.

It does seem very trivial i'll give you. Perhaps they've been told to clamp down on it of late. My mate had dicky plates on his X5 and he got done 3 times in as many weeks. Finally excepting defeat he took them off and then, the next day, the police stopped him again and gave him another £30 fine 'cos his windows were too tinted. Nearly wet myself laughing.....

Edited by Break The Silence

It does seem very trivial i'll give you. Perhaps they've been told to clamp down on it of late. My mate had dicky plates on his X5 and he got done 3 times in as many weeks. Finally excepting defeat he took them off and then, the next day, the police stopped him again and gave him another £30 fine 'cos his windows were too tinted. Nearly wet myself laughing.....

Window tinting is the next thing I want to do to my car ! :unsure:

Window tinting is the next thing I want to do to my car ! :unsure:

Just face it Rick you're a criminal :grin:

The way he explained it to me was that you can have the back window and the back side windows as dark as you want ie. like a van, but you're not allowed to tint the windscreen or the front side windows because they obstruct the drivers view at junctions etc. He wasn't overly impressed because he got them done at BMW so presumed they were legal.....

Something else that doesn't matter whatsoever for the police to waste there time on instead of doing their jobs.

Don't act like you are surprised, the majority of police think there job description is to act like a cock and talk down to people.

U can have the sides done but only a certain percentage. I know mine are legal cos the copper who pulled me for the plates told me so! Can't have a black 4x4 and not have tinted windows, that would just be wrong.....

Something else that doesn't matter whatsoever for the police to waste there time on instead of doing their jobs.

Don't act like you are surprised, the majority of police think there job description is to act like a cock and talk down to people.

Ha ha ha! Quality contribution :grin: