One minute in May

Hi all, I was listening to Talksport this morning on a normal mind numbing stretch of the M62 and they had a caller from Millwall, who, in the last home match are planning to hold either a minutes silence or a minutes applause in memory of kids murdered by others using knives and in support of parents of these kids, Jimmy Mizzen's Dad was on a few weeks ago and gave 1 hours interview to Mike "porky" Parry and Andy Townsend, which had me glued to the radio, what he was asking was that perhaps if all clubs in the English Leagues could hold some sort of minutes response, I would prefer to have a minutes applause for these fallen kids, the Millwall fan asked that if anyone could spread the word round to their club and see if something could be arranged.

Just a thought........what do you think, if anybody thinks that it could be done and Oafc would support something like this, then if you are in the know please feel free to contact whoever.

Rgds P

Hi all, I was listening to Talksport this morning on a normal mind numbing stretch of the M62 and they had a caller from Millwall, who, in the last home match are planning to hold either a minutes silence or a minutes applause in memory of kids murdered by others using knives and in support of parents of these kids, Jimmy Mizzen's Dad was on a few weeks ago and gave 1 hours interview to Mike "porky" Parry and Andy Townsend, which had me glued to the radio, what he was asking was that perhaps if all clubs in the English Leagues could hold some sort of minutes response, I would prefer to have a minutes applause for these fallen kids, the Millwall fan asked that if anyone could spread the word round to their club and see if something could be arranged.

Just a thought........what do you think, if anybody thinks that it could be done and Oafc would support something like this, then if you are in the know please feel free to contact whoever.

Rgds P

Drop Alan Hardy an email (details on Official Site) as I'm sure he'd give it some consideration.

Bearing in mind our last home game is 25th April, is this intended as something for every club's last home game, or a co-ordinated event for 2nd May (when we're at Walsall) ?

Fully behind the idea by the way, and well done to Millwall for kicking it off.

Edited by garcon

Bearing in mind our last home game is 25th April, is this intended as something for every club's last home game, or a co-ordinated event for 2nd May (when we're at Walsall) ?

Fully behind the idea by the way, and well done to Millwall for kicking it off.

Yes Garcon it has already been put into place for Millwall, their final match of the season is away, their final home is against the posh i think he said, 28/04 rings a bell.

his point was to get any listeners to contact their club and hopefully sort something in time for the last home match, brilliant idea i say!

anyway ive fired an email of to general enquiries at the club.

I'm against it, I go to football to enjoy myself and think that this is such a sorrowful subject it is best not to be raised at football matches. How many minutes silence are inflicted on football? I never see it in theatres or cinemas.

I'm against it, I go to football to enjoy myself and think that this is such a sorrowful subject it is best not to be raised at football matches. How many minutes silence are inflicted on football? I never see it in theatres or cinemas.

I hear what you say Alec, which is the main reason why it should be a minutes applause rather than a minutes silence, I wouldnt want a minutes silence either but how would you feel about a minutes applause???

Yes Garcon it has already been put into place for Millwall, their final match of the season is away, their final home is against the posh i think he said, 28/04 rings a bell.

his point was to get any listeners to contact their club and hopefully sort something in time for the last home match, brilliant idea i say!

anyway ive fired an email of to general enquiries at the club.

Good stuff. Let's hope as many clubs pick this up as possible.

Fooball is the most popular sport in the country, what better way to spread the word of Knife crime and recognise those who have been murdered through it!

Fooball is the most popular sport in the country, what better way to spread the word of Knife crime and recognise those who have been murdered through it!

Although it's appealing to a stereotype to a degree, I think knife crime is more relevant to the average football fan than to theatre goers.

perhaps the best place for you is the cinema/ theatre then, and if you dont like what you hear then best switch the hearing aid off!!

perhaps the best place for you is the cinema/ theatre then, and if you dont like what you hear then best switch the hearing aid off!!

You asked for peoples thoughts.......................

Then listen.

Think a minutes applause would be a bit inappropriate don't you think? Clapping someone who has been stabbed to death? Yes well done on being stabbed to death! For some reason it doesn't seem right.

We clap people who have died in their old age - do you want to go into the specifics of how they died? It's about opposing the way of life that lead to the people dying and making the point that a mass of people are on the good side, not the bad people who did it. Knifings are fairly commonplace in the area I cover between home and work, less so in Oldham - although I did see about an awful case in Oldham not so long since? It can come very quickly. I am 34 and not too old to remember when problems in the North were sorted out with fists in a private place, rather than bottles smashed in faces. I do worry that people carrying knives and guns (in the extreme) is the next step, which places like Oldham haven't suffered yet to the same degree as happens in London and Birmingham

Millwall want to get their own house in order first before starting a 'national' campaign.

Everywhere Has Its Problems, I Know Everyone Hates Millwall But Still.

And I Also Think A Minutes Applause Is Wrong And We Should A Minutes Silence Instead.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Everywhere Has Its Problems, I Know Everyone Hates Millwall But Still.

And I Also Think A Minutes Applause Is Wrong And We Should A Minutes Silence Instead.

So Millwall are no worse than anyone else then?

I think you'll find they are STILL having more problems than most.

My point was that it would not surprise me if there were a 'few' of their fans who, whilst clapping, had knives in their pockets!!

So Millwall are no worse than anyone else then?

I think you'll find they are STILL having more problems than most.

My point was that it would not surprise me if there were a 'few' of their fans who, whilst clapping, had knives in their pockets!!

Surely Millwall should be the first football club if any to be backing this campaign as you would be more likely get to the root of the problem. That said while not belittling the problem of knife crime its not the only problem in society, and we could be in danger of having minutes silences at every game which would render them less important.

yawn yawn bloody yawn

"yawn yawn bloody yawn" - No direspect mate but that that is coming from someone who started a thread that basically equates to 'isn't knife crime a bad thing' - Do you think that by my questioning the relevance of a minutes silence/applause at BP is in anyway condoning this?

Of course this is none excusable, Of course it is deeply sad for the victims, there families and society as a whole - kind of goes without saying.... My point is, as other people have made, is what importance does it play at our next home match?

This is one example,of many,of the society in which we live..deal with it. I have come close to shedding tears reading about what happened to Damilola Taylor and it sickens anyone who has half a brain - but what difference is a token gesture going to make the overall solution - absolutely none

It's a sorry state of affairs and if people want to try and play some part in combating the issue then I'm all in favour, but 4000 peolple keeping their mouths shut for a minute wont make the sligtest of difference

If your concern's that genuine pal, go and do some voluntary work with young offenders - might actually make a difference....It would be a token gesture that wouldn't even get to be recognised by the people that matter - the victims....

If you have a minute silence for victims of knife crime then you're doing so because of the current climate, that was why i made the faulty electrical appliance statement - because where would it end? homelessness, domestic abuse killings etc etc, etc.

Sems like you started a conversation that you hoped everyone would back you 100%, I agree,knife crime is wrong - so are alot of things - there are other way needed to deal with it rather than a minutes silence, if you keep quiet then you've done your bit, b******s... show some respect by doing summat that matters