Can the young players step up?

It isn't a case of anybody slitting their wrists, just one of looking at the reality. The fact is that it will be the clubs with money and those that have done most to assemble a balanced squad who will do well while the rest will struggle. So far, the noises coming out of BP-talk of budget cuts and hints that youth will play a prominent role-do not inspire optimism.

I do believe that will be our case. This seasons squad should have been good enough, the fact it wasn't lies squarely on the Managers shoulders.

Surely our fortunes depend almost solely on the calibre of player whatever manager we end up with has to deal with.

depends which manager we end up with though doesnt it.

asppoint from within again and you will have to rely heavily on kids and loans during a season

someone like a jim gannon or a keith hill type of player tends to bring kids through or has an eye for a bargain,but again predominately relies on kids and loand

appoint joe and his knowledge and experience may just sway one or more players to come to bp who wouldnt normally consider it.

everything is up in the air at the moment,the squad isnt good enough,there isnt any hunger or desire,hence the kids getting there chance now.

next season we could be sat here with an extra benifactor on board and have a budget akin or superior to this season budget,we really just dont know yet.

yes we can make assumptions based on what we know at present,but it could all change very shortly.

An over-reliance on youth is a recipe for disaster.

While I agreed with this when I first read it, I then pondered Stockport's season last season (and to a lesser extent this season) and also Peterborough who have had two fantastic seasons with an average player age of around 22.

Young players + right manager = success.

I think a mixture of youth and experience + Joe Royle will also mean we are there or thereabouts.

Interesting that we've scored 2 last minute goals under Joe. Will be more interesting when they start turning draws in to wins as well.

Edited by opinions4u

depends which manager we end up with though doesnt it.

asppoint from within again and you will have to rely heavily on kids and loans during a season

someone like a jim gannon or a keith hill type of player tends to bring kids through or has an eye for a bargain,but again predominately relies on kids and loand

appoint joe and his knowledge and experience may just sway one or more players to come to bp who wouldnt normally consider it.

everything is up in the air at the moment,the squad isnt good enough,there isnt any hunger or desire,hence the kids getting there chance now.

next season we could be sat here with an extra benifactor on board and have a budget akin or superior to this season budget,we really just dont know yet.

yes we can make assumptions based on what we know at present,but it could all change very shortly.

I'm hopeful that Joe will be here next season and also think that his appointment was a pre condition as to the financial involvement of a certain John Wardle.......Anybody agree?

On the downside an other pre condition could have been that by the end of the season we would also have to gain promotion to the Championship!

Our promotion dream is over now so we will just have to wait and see what happens!

Do we know that we will have so much less to spend next season? Money is tight for lots of people but I'm sure there will be a few new players coming in. Joe has already got experience in with Supple and Westlake. Three of our back four will probably be Hazell, Gregan and Eardley, plently of experience in there. Ratters and Whitaker have been around, a couple more signings and the kids and it's a fairly balanced side.

What evidence do we have for this other than the fact that did did extremely well with a totally different set of players during part of his previous reign here?

Do we even have evidence that youth players are more committed to a club than anybody else? It sometimes seems that no sooner does a youth player receive some plaudits than he thinks he's far better and worth far more than he really is. (I'm not talking necessarily about this club, but just look at Michah Richards at City after he earned some rather over-the-top praise.)

Young players need seasoned professional to bring them on or else they are turned over time and time again by the cynical old hands who ply their trade at this end of the game until their confidence is shot. The secret lies in bringing the right sort of seasoned professional to the club and making him play like he loves the club. No easy task in todays game.

An over-reliance on youth is a recipe for disaster.

Spot on...

Three of our back four will probably be Hazell, Gregan and Eardley, plently of experience in there.

Think this leads nicely back to my comments the other night...whereby we've given plaudits to this back line yet we've still leaked some horrible goals this season and never once looked tight at the back. Not sure what the answer is but I left that Tranmere game feeling maybe we need to rip out the back line and start again. I hope it's merely more to do with "The Unit" and Royle gets them playing as one coz this season, they've been far, far, far from a good, solid, unit and more like decent individuals who've done nothing but cover for each others mistakes. That back line needs to not make those mistakes in the first place...easy to say, but it's my biggest concern going into the new season coz like you say...those 3 will most likely make up the majority of the 4 next season.

Young players + right manager = success.

That recipe will bring us success, true but only if the young players are of the right calibre with the desire application to improve. That was the point I was making in the original post I do have my doubts about a few of these players I do fear the current crop will go the same way as the Tipton, Innes, Rickers, Miskelly generation. I don't think we are quite going to go back to those wilderness years, I don't think next year will be a survival scrap and anything else will be a bonus. But I think we will be at the beginning of another 2-3 year plan come august of aiming at promotion, if that aim is to be achieved it is going to require the younger players in this squad to step up to the plate and fulfil their potential.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Think this leads nicely back to my comments the other night...whereby we've given plaudits to this back line yet we've still leaked some horrible goals this season and never once looked tight at the back. Not sure what the answer is but I left that Tranmere game feeling maybe we need to rip out the back line and start again. I hope it's merely more to do with "The Unit" and Royle gets them playing as one coz this season, they've been far, far, far from a good, solid, unit and more like decent individuals who've done nothing but cover for each others mistakes. That back line needs to not make those mistakes in the first place...easy to say, but it's my biggest concern going into the new season coz like you say...those 3 will most likely make up the majority of the 4 next season.

A succession of keepers doesn't help - but if you keep losing it in midfield then any defence is going to struggle. Recently we've not been either forcing teams back onto the defensive or keeping it tight in midfield, so the pressure is always going to come back at us. Solve that and I think the defence will look like a strong area for us.

A succession of keepers doesn't help - but if you keep losing it in midfield then any defence is going to struggle. Recently we've not been either forcing teams back onto the defensive or keeping it tight in midfield, so the pressure is always going to come back at us. Solve that and I think the defence will look like a strong area for us.

budtz was a mistake,and should have only been in the one game for when flem was banned,up until then i dont think flem has done too bad,more mobile than norm and more than an adequate replacement,i think it was a big mistake to drop him again in favour of budtz,keepers are only as good as the backline in front of them,if that doesnt protect then its down to him,but he has done well.

can understand joe bringing supple in,as he is a player he knows and knows how he trains n plays,pretty much the same with westlake.

i think it says it all in his latest game preview about training,he has stepped it up and not come out right and said shez regime was poor and unfit,but a very big hint it was,glad its all finally being adressed as it should,i for one am looking forward to next season and who we bring in close season,even if nobody else is,lol

budtz was a mistake,and should have only been in the one game for when flem was banned,up until then i dont think flem has done too bad,more mobile than norm and more than an adequate replacement,i think it was a big mistake to drop him again in favour of budtz,keepers are only as good as the backline in front of them,if that doesnt protect then its down to him,but he has done well.

can understand joe bringing supple in,as he is a player he knows and knows how he trains n plays,pretty much the same with westlake.

i think it says it all in his latest game preview about training,he has stepped it up and not come out right and said shez regime was poor and unfit,but a very big hint it was,glad its all finally being adressed as it should,i for one am looking forward to next season and who we bring in close season,even if nobody else is,lol

Agree, also the change in Keeper can affect the confidence and cohesion of the defence.

Next season will be hard, with Charlton down, then any two of Southampton, Norwich and Forest.

Then any two of MKDons, Peterborough, Scunthorpe and Leeds staying down and the likes of Huddersfield splashing the cash.

I just can't see us getting a sniff next season.

In fact I can see us having a complete flop like Brighton this season and being in a relegation dog fight.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Next season will be hard, with Charlton down, then any two of Southampton, Norwich and Forest.

Then any two of MKDons, Peterborough, Scunthorpe and Leeds staying down and the likes of Huddersfield splashing the cash.

I just can't see us getting a sniff next season.

In fact I can see us having a complete flop like Brighton this season and being in a relegation dog fight.

This mantra season on season is getting quite boring now...

12mths ago it was about how Leicester & Brighton was coming down, Leeds had no points deduction etc etc etc...

Don't think next season will be any harder. Charlton and Southampton will be lucky to have a club next season, let alone a side to challenge. Our biggest competition next season will be travel! With potentially Charlton, Southampton and Norwich coming down, Exeter, Brentford, Wycombe and Gillingham coming up and losing Leicester, Possibly Crewe and Northampton, maybe 1 from Leeds, Scunny or the Tramps...the extra miles we'll travel next season will be a big problem (based on worse case scenario.) Esp if we get the likes of B.Rovers & Swindon within 4 days of one another, or Cheltenham and Orient etc.

Edited by boundaryblue80