Can the young players step up?

Now next season unless there is a massive injection of cash from another source other than TTA i.e. Wardle then we are going to be looking at a squad made up of young players coming through our own ranks or currently within the side. Now allot of these players Smalley, Allessandra, Eardley, Kieran Lee to name but a few all possess potential to go and make good careers in the professional game however. So too did the likes of Rickers, Tipton Innes, and McNiven and I have to say I do think that the majority of the current crop will head the same way into footballing obscurity.

So is the current crop any different? Are they more talented players? Do they want it enough, and by saying that I don't mean they run round on the pitch like Forrest Gump (Although playing with a high intensity is going to help them) what I really mean is are they going into training challenging themselves to do better every day. Winning on Saturday starts on Monday. I read a good article in The Times about the reasons for the lack of good English players coming through at the moment and it contained a brief interview with Harry Redknapp. At West Ham after training all the players went home except one who used to do extra practice with his running and shooting that one player was Frank Lampard that’s why he has gone from being a fat kid to a tuned athlete and that’s why he is one of the most deadly players from 20-25 yards in the world.

So are Eardley and smalley working extra hard on their crossing in training. Is Lewis working hard enough on his finishing, is Kieran Lee and Dale Stephens improving their stamina and shooting if the answer to all these is yes then we won't have much to worry about and the rewards for the players will be there for them and they will get rich get the recognition, all the adulation that they could need. If the answer is no then it’s off to the likes of Stalybridge Celtic, Ashton United, and Droyleden for them to eat out a footballing existence.

I can think of at least 3 goals that Eardley's set up from crosses this season alone.

I'd like to see our youth players at least given the chance to step up, rather than bringing in journeymen, "experienced" heads that invariably do little to impress whilst picking up a rather handsome pay packet.

I can think of at least 3 goals that Eardley's set up from crosses this season alone.

I'd like to see our youth players at least given the chance to step up, rather than bringing in journeymen, "experienced" heads that invariably do little to impress whilst picking up a rather handsome pay packet.

So would I but they have to be better than these average journeymen potentially they all are comfortably better players but they have to prove it they have to make it impossible for the manager to leave them out of the side.

We have done very well with loanees in recent years. Is it just bad luck or should we avoid centre forwards on loan? Because we've had a load of really :censored: ones of those.

Luke Beckett was on loan so not all.

I think that was a massive mistake from shez to bring in these loan players at the expense of Allessandra and Ogrady all very well saying this with hindsight obviously however it does say alot when Shez kept opting to go for these has been bobbins strikers at the expense of these two they must have been doing something seriously wrong in training.

We have done very well with loanees in recent years. Is it just bad luck or should we avoid centre forwards on loan? Because we've had a load of really :censored: ones of those.

sign CONSTABLE from oxford united, scored again today in the last minute. :wink:

You could say all the strikers brought in by Shez were quality players who had all done it at a higher level....the trouble is none of them were fit and were either coming back from injury or way out of form.

Let's face it, nobody's going to lend out a top striker unless he's a young talented player who needs games and/or experience.

In August, for the first time in ages, we had plenty of options up front and I'm pretty certain if we'd stuck with what we had we would have done an awful lot better.

The loan market used in the correct way is an essential part of team building for clubs such as ours and can help to cover for injuries and to provide competition in key areas. Shez's loans got completely out of hand and I think this proves how bad things had got in the dressing room and by the turn of the year it seemed that he had little or no faith in many of his own hand picked squad.

I think we were unbeaten in the first eight games and in to October when he made his first loan move, bringing in Danny Jones an hour or so before kick off at Stockport and to everyone's surprise putting him in straight away at the expense of Lomax when he hadn't even met the rest of the players.

Now that was a baffling decision so early in the season, which I think, brought about the start of what became a steady decline in results from which we never really recovered.

Loan players can give the team a massive boost when brought in at the right time however I just think Shez got it totally wrong in that respect.........Big time!!!!

Shez's loans got completely out of hand and I think this proves how bad things had got in the dressing room and by the turn of the year it seemed that he had little or no faith in many of his own hand picked squad.

I think we were unbeaten in the first eight games and in to October when he made his first loan move, bringing in Danny Jones an hour or so before kick off at Stockport and to everyone's surprise putting him in straight away at the expense of Lomax when he hadn't even met the rest of the players.

Now that was a baffling decision so early in the season, which I think, brought about the start of what became a steady decline in results from which we never really recovered.

Loan players can give the team a massive boost when brought in at the right time however I just think Shez got it totally wrong in that respect.........Big time!!!!

Spot on...just before Jones, there was Richie Byrne too. Who wasn't as bad as Seb Hines, but wasn't that good either. This all coincided with (soon to be crowned Player of the season...somehow...) Gregan's suspension and subsequent off-the-field circumstances arising. The defence, in truth, has never recovered. It's either been good-average or utter :censored:. With a LB from Wolves struggles with defending (not even going to comment on Carlisle) and a RB who has been exposed endlessly without a RW infront of him. For me, we'dve been in serious trouble but for Hazell this season...a player that's been solid bar a recent few wks of uncharactistic lapses. Which now seem eradicated.

Spot on...just before Jones, there was Richie Byrne too. Who wasn't as bad as Seb Hines, but wasn't that good either. This all coincided with (soon to be crowned Player of the season...somehow...) Gregan's suspension and subsequent off-the-field circumstances arising. The defence, in truth, has never recovered. It's either been good-average or utter :censored:. With a LB from Wolves struggles with defending (not even going to comment on Carlisle) and a RB who has been exposed endlessly without a RW infront of him. For me, we'dve been in serious trouble but for Hazell this season...a player that's been solid bar a recent few wks of uncharactistic lapses. Which now seem eradicated.

Why did Shez give Hazell a contract so early before the end of the season? Does anyone else think that his dip in form coincided with the fact he relaxed because his future was settled? Not as eager to impress - subconsciously I mean??

There will be a big difference between this season and next...

This season we didnt really need all the loan signings we brought in... Next season we will have no choice but to bring in loan signings....

A team full of youngsters and little experience can look forward to a season fighting at the wrong end...generally speaking...never know we might have loads of kids that are going to be awesome...doubtful though...

Am i not right in thinking the football league have passed some rule for next season regards to having home grown players in your team.

I would like to see Black given more of a chance be interesting to see how well Ryan Brooke plays heard some good reports about him off people.

There will be a big difference between this season and next...

This season we didnt really need all the loan signings we brought in... Next season we will have no choice but to bring in loan signings....

A team full of youngsters and little experience can look forward to a season fighting at the wrong end...generally speaking...never know we might have loads of kids that are going to be awesome...doubtful though...

I would rather watch a struggling team full of OUR kids gelling, improving and playing together than half a team of loan players who have no affiliation to the club whatsoever, we've been down that route before and it just doesn't work!!

There's a case for two or three loanees to add experience and competition but any more than that and it feels like your watching someone else's team!!!

I think next season Black will step up and make the left back position his own. If it hadn't been for injuries I believe he would be a regular now. We've been struggling at left back since Simon Charlton left when we didn't need to. We could have still had Marc Tierney here now if Shez hadn't got rid. It's fine bringing experience in but they need to have the hunger, otherwise let them rot!

Why is everybody saying we will be relegation material next season? Yes the confidence of the squad is shot to bits at the moment, but pre season under Joe and I'm not saying we'll walk the league, but we will play as a unit and surprise people.

Why is everybody saying we will be relegation material next season?

Probaby based on form.

Yes the confidence of the squad is shot to bits at the moment, but pre season under Joe and I'm not saying we'll walk the league, but we will play as a unit and surprise people.

I think Joe's way of running the playing side of the football club will make those that remain better.

Your "play as a unit" comment is absolutely spot on.

Edited by opinions4u

Why is everybody saying we will be relegation material next season? Yes the confidence of the squad is shot to bits at the moment, but pre season under Joe and I'm not saying we'll walk the league, but we will play as a unit and surprise people.

What evidence do we have for this other than the fact that did did extremely well with a totally different set of players during part of his previous reign here?

Do we even have evidence that youth players are more committed to a club than anybody else? It sometimes seems that no sooner does a youth player receive some plaudits than he thinks he's far better and worth far more than he really is. (I'm not talking necessarily about this club, but just look at Michah Richards at City after he earned some rather over-the-top praise.)

Young players need seasoned professional to bring them on or else they are turned over time and time again by the cynical old hands who ply their trade at this end of the game until their confidence is shot. The secret lies in bringing the right sort of seasoned professional to the club and making him play like he loves the club. No easy task in todays game.

An over-reliance on youth is a recipe for disaster.

I don't think we'd be relegation fodder going into next season unless something major happened behind the scenes or Joe didn't fancy another season and we appointed our version of Steve Holland!

Surely our fortunes depend almost solely on the calibre of player whatever manager we end up with has to deal with.

Surely our fortunes depend almost solely on the calibre of player whatever manager we end up with has to deal with.

A great manager gets the best out of his players more often than an average one.

A better manager than Shez would have done a lot more with the same squad.

An over-reliance on youth is a recipe for disaster.

Too right. As is an over-relaince on unfit loanees.

Getting the balance right is the key.

Edited by opinions4u

Obviously what Corp says is correct, but it's a bit of a blanket comment. You could say that of any club through the closed season. Truth is none of us know what lies ahead so why start slitting our wrists in preparation.

Obviously what Corp says is correct, but it's a bit of a blanket comment. You could say that of any club through the closed season. Truth is none of us know what lies ahead so why start slitting our wrists in preparation.

It isn't a case of anybody slitting their wrists, just one of looking at the reality. The fact is that it will be the clubs with money and those that have done most to assemble a balanced squad who will do well while the rest will struggle. So far, the noises coming out of BP-talk of budget cuts and hints that youth will play a prominent role-do not inspire optimism.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Obviously a good nucleus of players will go a long way but also a bad manager can have an opposite, negative effect. Crewe weren't a team that I'd say needed to worry about relegation under Gradi, Holland soon changed that.