Joe Royle

Joe has been in charge for 6 games. In which we have W0D3L3 and yet to have a clean sheet. In comparison Sheriden's last 6 games produced a record of W1D2L3 and again had no clean sheets.

For me there has been no change in form since his arrival, though to be fair to Joe that the results on his first day in charge pretty much meant all hope of the play-offs had gone IMO.

When Joe came we needed a miracle, and in a short period of time he has not managed it.

Question is - do we want him to stay?

Next season budget will be cut, and therefore 'success' is probably mid-table at best. However the fans expectations probably won't be and I don't think I could bare to hear and read about Joe getting abuse from the masses.

I wonder whether its better that Joe bows out now with no disgrace rather than put himself through the pain and anguish of a tough and more than likely un-rewarding season next year.

Joe has been in charge for 6 games. In which we have W0D3L3 and yet to have a clean sheet. In comparison Sheriden's last 6 games produced a record of W1D2L3 and again had no clean sheets.

For me there has been no change in form since his arrival, though to be fair to Joe that the results on his first day in charge pretty much meant all hope of the play-offs had gone IMO.

When Joe came we needed a miracle, and in a short period of time he has not managed it.

Next season budget will be cut, and therefore 'success' is probably mid-table at best. However the fans expectations probably won't be and I don't think I could bare to hear and read about Joe getting abuse from the masses.

I wonder whether its better that Joe bows out now with no disgrace rather than put himself through the pain and anguish of a tough and more than likely un-rewarding season next year.

Who has said the budget will be lower?

Guest sheridans_world
I am also sure it has benn announced, but also economic circumstance dictate it must. Surely?

Well they dictate when the new stand will be built, I dont see why not.

Maybe John Wardle will have something to say about this?

Remember hearing it on one of the SC LW interviews.

But given the drop in advertising revenue, likely reduction in season ticket sales/attendances (at best if prices stay the same and so do sales, the inflationary decrease will be felt) etc. it does seem logical that we will have less money to spend next season.

Also - I think TTA have been funding losses at the club and given that their businesses/fianances will be feeling the economic recession as well then this is another factor.

So - if we have less cash and can only hope for relatviely comfortable survival for a year or 3, do we really want JR to stay and risk getting flak?

Remember hearing it on one of the SC LW interviews.

But given the drop in advertising revenue, likely reduction in season ticket sales/attendances (at best if prices stay the same and so do sales, the inflationary decrease will be felt) etc. it does seem logical that we will have less money to spend next season.

Also - I think TTA have been funding losses at the club and given that their businesses/fianances will be feeling the economic recession as well then this is another factor.

So - if we have less cash and can only hope for relatviely comfortable survival for a year or 3, do we really want JR to stay and risk getting flak?

Wont every other club be hit by this crisis? Doesn't that mean the bar will be lowered?

(singe @ Apr 13 2009, 19:10 PM)

I am also sure it has benn announced, but also economic circumstance dictate it must. Surely?

Well they dictate when the new stand will be built, I dont see why not.

Maybe John Wardle will have something to say about this?

Aplologies SW, it should have read more like

SW: I am also sure it has been announced.

MIKE: but also economic circumstance dictate it must. Surely?

There's been alot of guesswork from us regarding the budget...Yes there will be some cutbacks but there's no way Joe will agree to stay if there's no scope for bringing in a few new players.

Reckon he will now have realised how big a job this is going to be...he probably thought he could come in and make one or two adjustments and have a real go next season...How wrong he was!!!

I still reckon the potential John Wardle investment will decide if he stays or not.....he certainly doesn't need to get involved in the rebuilding on a shoestring scenario that he had last time he was here and at this stage of his career probably doesn't want it either!!

I want him to stay because he knows what it takes to get up a division as he's been there and done it all before...I think the big question is.....How badly do TTA want it, and, will they be getting any help from potential investors?

We shall see!!!!

Not really... Its been stated by the board that it will be reduced...

Agreed - it will be reduced.

Though the comment that so will every other clubs and therefore the relative budget will be the same has some validity. However I think that there are always a number of clubs willing to 'gamble' with a bigger budget than they should (by some accounts that is what we have done the last few years).

Not really... Its been stated by the board that it will be reduced...

it has been briefly mentioned by sc,however actual figures og just how much it will be reduced wont appear for a good while,or until the very least the majority of season tickets are sold.

the economy is flat,and the recesion will bite deeper this coming year,however to a certain extent it is very much the same for the vast majority of other clubs who will be in this league next season.which to a certain degree means it will still be a relative level playing field.

the only clubs going to have a better budget are those with bigger crowds,or those offering deals.

we are all just guessing at the moment,but if wardle does jump on board with financial help,it may well mean that we have a similar budget to this seasons.

also add in a cup run etc etc, and maybe the odd tv appearance.

i think there is a massive rebuilding job needed come the summer,and i for one would rather have someone in charge who can identify exactly what and who we need for certain positions,than a headless chicken type who wants to be seen to be bringing the right players in,but in reality doesnt.

there is nothing us fans can do about it,it will very much depend on what tta's want and if jr wants it.

No Wardle, No Joe...that's from the horses mouth!

And with Wardle and Joe...a proper playing budget and re-newed impetus. Without...I don't want to think about it!!!

So for me...the answer to your question is "yes" and I know what it will take for that to happen. My fingers are crossed.

Budget's being reduced blah blah blah....we all know that without another investor coming on board the budget won't be increased, and it will more than likely be reduced, but I expect outgoings have already been reduced anyway because of the likes of Hughes, Windass and Lids presumably no longer being on the wage bill. And nearly all other clubs will reduce their budgets too so as has been stated, the bar will more than likely be lowered next season. And I expect players wages to generally come down...they have to.

As oafc1955 has stated, there's been a lot of guesswork about the budget, and if you listen to the likes of oafc0000 it will be reduced 'massively' (I think he/she said, whatever that means)....well who says it will be reduced substantially...I can't recall any statement from TTA to this effect, only that the budget will be reduced, but then what do we expect businessmen like them to say '' oh yeah, we're going to really go for it next year and not reduce the budget ''....cos that would work wonders when trying to negotiate with other clubs and players wouldn't it.

Let's just wait and see, you never know - TTA might just provide us with, on paper at least, another potential promotion winning squad...just like they have most years.

Edited by Yard Dog

Guest Scratch2000uk

Reading the replies about this subject, i wonder how it came about JR became the new manager.?

Was it.. a bolt out of the blue? or do you think there was a little more to it than that.?

I think personaly think Shez wasn't the top of TTA christmas card list before doggygate, and the previous run of bad results, I'm sure i read it in the rarely wrong Chron, that Mr C wasn't too impressed with preperations for a game they lost, and i'm guesssing doggygate and the ensuing run of rather bad results, may have made them think that Shez wasn't the man to carry Latics forward anymore.?

Reading the replies about this subject, i wonder how it came about JR became the new manager.?

Was it.. a bolt out of the blue? or do you think there was a little more to it than that.?

I think personaly think Shez wasn't the top of TTA christmas card list before doggygate, and the previous run of bad results, I'm sure i read it in the rarely wrong Chron, that Mr C wasn't too impressed with preperations for a game they lost, and i'm guesssing doggygate and the ensuing run of rather bad results, may have made them think that Shez wasn't the man to carry Latics forward anymore.?

Shez was, by accounts, on his last legs vs Port Vale at home last season...was close to the door due to the home form. Only the away form that was keeping him here. The fight at the dogs (which it wasn't) was just a timely coincidence of a lot of what wasn't right...so yeah, Joe had been tapped up for some time. I know one person inparticular knew of it after the Colchester game. But Joe couldn't have been lined up for that much longer...coz it had to be a last ditch gamble, where Joe was clean from blame should we fail. But yeah...on the short-term, Joe was tapped up for at least 2wks before I believe.

For the future though?...well...that's different. But it may be that it sparked off interest from Joes old buddy Wardle....,maybe even, Joe and Wardle had a quiet pint and Joe said "hey...how about this idea for ya..."

Edited by boundaryblue80

Shez was, by accounts, on his last legs vs Port Vale at home last season...was close to the door due to the home form. Only the away form that was keeping him here. The fight at the dogs (which it wasn't) was just a timely coincidence of a lot of what wasn't right...so yeah, Joe had been tapped up for some time. I know one person inparticular knew of it after the Colchester game. But Joe couldn't have been lined up for that much longer...coz it had to be a last ditch gamble, where Joe was clean from blame should we fail. But yeah...on the short-term, Joe was tapped up for at least 2wks before I believe.

For the future though?...well...that's different. But it may be that it sparked off interest from Joes old buddy Wardle....,maybe even, Joe and Wardle had a quiet pint and Joe said "hey...how about this idea for ya..."

i think he was sounded out a bit longer than 2 weeks,i think he may have been asked for his opinion/s round about the hereford game,i think that in particular was a bad kick in the teeth to tta's,just how bad things had got,and more than likely a very big bolloking followed for all,not just shez.

i know joe has said he saw the bristol and leeds games,but could also have had someone else here watching and reporting back.

i think once it became a national press thing doggy gate,that is when definate contact was made,to try to restore the fans confidence and give them something to get excited about.

my own opinionis that joe should have been given longer than 9 games,he brought 2 players in quickly,and i think had he been here pre january window,he may have got more in and improved things for the better and we would still have an interest for the last couple of games.

i think once it became a national press thing doggy gate,that is when definate contact was made,to try to restore the fans confidence and give them something to get excited about.

my own opinionis that joe should have been given longer than 9 games,he brought 2 players in quickly,and i think had he been here pre january window,he may have got more in and improved things for the better and we would still have an interest for the last couple of games.

Can't disagree with any of that...I've always felt that Taylors winner at Millwall saved Shez's job for a couple of weeks!

Budget's being reduced blah blah blah....we all know that without another investor coming on board the budget won't be increased, and it will more than likely be reduced, but I expect outgoings have already been reduced anyway because of the likes of Hughes, Windass and Lids presumably no longer being on the wage bill. And nearly all other clubs will reduce their budgets too so as has been stated, the bar will more than likely be lowered next season. And I expect players wages to generally come down...they have to.

As oafc1955 has stated, there's been a lot of guesswork about the budget, and if you listen to the likes of oafc0000 it will be reduced 'massively' (I think he/she said, whatever that means)....well who says it will be reduced substantially...I can't recall any statement from TTA to this effect, only that the budget will be reduced, but then what do we expect businessmen like them to say '' oh yeah, we're going to really go for it next year and not reduce the budget ''....cos that would work wonders when trying to negotiate with other clubs and players wouldn't it.

Let's just wait and see, you never know - TTA might just provide us with, on paper at least, another potential promotion winning squad...just like they have most years.

Both Simon Corney and Joe Royle have, as has been noted in other threads, referred to reduced budgets in interviews.

If we assume until there's some confirmation of it that new investment is not going to be forthcoming, reduced budgets are, in any case, guaranteed by attendances falling at a worrying rate, and the near-certainty of a fall in season ticket sales.

Looking at the wider picture, there is little scope for second-tier football at BP without some certainty that the stadium redevelopment will go ahead.