Why the hate for Hughes?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant be arse to seek the truth ?? Apparently I have been given it... Just no one has the balls to stand up and say it...

We live in strange times, our off-the-shelf legal support culture dictates that we tread carefully.

And so we tread...

:P

"On top of this you make the allegation it was covered up by high ranking OAFC officials which blows the door wide open on the very increasing concerns about how the club is being run internally and makes me worry even more worried that Shez has become the fall guy in all this..."

also heard said rumours,and from a few different people,and it was consitant as well.

to be honest he probably has been one of the best strikers we have had recently,his goals tally for the season speaks for itself,and that isnt up for discussion....however his off field antics are,and rightly so...he simply shouldnt be acting in the way he has been,like a kid in a sweet shop...if you want people to respect you as the proffessional your supposed to be,then you just dont do it,and keep your nose clean.

shez hasnt been the fall guy in all of this,its also a well known fact that shez likes a drink as well,you only have to look back to when dowie was here..the training methods used and how fit the players were,the extra training and the regime prolonged players carears,yet it was all undone whenshez took over briefly,the early morning runs and swimming went out the window.the training wasnt as intense and basically became quite sloppy..

doggy gate was just the last straw,he couldnt sweep it under the carpet any longer and keep it from peoples eyes,as they witnessed it first hand...

people can and will site football reasons as to why shez was sacked,and to an extent you can go along with that,but the drink culture within the club also played a very big part.

as for if hughes returns as opposition player...i will niether cheer or boo him,i too never wanted him here and the effect it had....but i know without his goals this season we would have been up :censored: creek.whenever he scored i applauded the team,and i never once sang or chanted his name,and i never would.

joe royle is now here,cleaned out the bad influence/s and getting the club back to being proffesional with values and rules to uphold....we will be better for it.

joe royle is now here,cleaned out the bad influence/s and getting the club back to being proffesional with values and rules to uphold....we will be better for it.

agreed..

...I am glad Joe is back at the club...he is about the only person I trust associated with Latics at the moment...

If Joe was presented with these sort of problems I know the action he would of took and wouldn't of looked at or entertained any sort of cover up...

Edited by oafc0000

Then you're either stupid or ignorant...I'll let you choose which

No...it's coz he's a prick who went around playing the big "I am"...getting pissed up in every pub around Waterhead and such and paying rare token gestures to his past...

Got on with it, like getting himself suspended for cup games (deliberately, depending which side of the fence you're on!) Or is it getting on with it, ala, being constantly offside after having his contract that was offered, ripped up?

Was partly that...now got many more reasons, as explained above

For the large majority not wanting him here...no...you'll find many posts in the past 2 years (unless you're being ignorant to that...you're regular on here, so must be!) stating about not wanting him here...and cheering him on? Nope...cheered when my teams scored. Won't sing his name...good player, sadly an utter arsehole though

Already answered this

Not aware that "Golden Boy" has a lot of peoples trust to earn or re-pay

Oh my...you're post is getting stupid now...[/b]

Absolutely!

Ironic sentence in this post.

Neither ignorant or stupid, just not gullible enough to believe rumour and after rumour posted on here about player's private lives. The thread was made to ask why Hughes is getting all this negative criticism. I'm sure you are more than capable of posting your answer and opinion without resorting to petty flaming.

But hey ho!

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Lee Hughes was with the squad at Edgeley Park and sat with some of the fans for a time.

Not what I was told and if it was the case he was there at Stockport, he definitely was out and about around Waterhead when he got back that night. Which for an injured player, is a bit like crying off sick at work then going out on the piss. In my eyes...which to base MY OPINION is all that matters!

Ironic sentence in this post.

Neither ignorant or stupid, just not gullible enough to believe rumour and after rumour posted on here about player's private lives. The thread was made to ask why Hughes is getting all this negative criticism. I'm sure you are more than capable of posting your answer and opinion without resorting to petty flaming.

But hey ho!

Picking out a grammatical error on here is one of the pissy-est (<--- another one) ever! But carry on...

As for " I'm sure you are more than capable of posting your answer and opinion"

These bits were it....

"it's coz he's a prick who went around playing the big "I am"...getting pissed up in every pub around Waterhead and such and paying rare token gestures to his past...

...getting himself suspended for cup games (deliberately, depending which side of the fence you're on!)......being constantly offside after having his contract that was offered, ripped up....

...you'll find many posts in the past 2 years....stating about not wanting him here...and cheering him on? Nope...cheered when my teams scored. Won't sing his name...good player, sadly an utter arsehole though...

Not aware that "Golden Boy" has a lot of peoples trust to earn or re-pay"

The "flaming" bits...well...to be fair, your 1st post really isn't whiter than white by stating everyone throwing mud, apparently cheered him on and are utter hypocrites coz that just isn't the case....

"Hypocrisy, his past hasn't been an issue over these past two season whilst he played for us has it? Hasn't stopped you cheering him on?"

and if I could be arsed, I could highlight many of mine and other previous posts stating such annoyances and dislike of him (including Millwall away OAFC0000!)

Edited by boundaryblue80

Not read all the post's in this thread but I can defo state Lee Hughes was at Stockport that night as he spent the second half sat next to Jacko and me. In the very next seat!. He left said seat with 10 mins to go stating " I best get myself off before (jestering to the county fans) these let realise who I am"

Not read all the post's in this thread but I can defo state Lee Hughes was at Stockport that night as he spent the second half sat next to Jacko and me. In the very next seat!. He left said seat with 10 mins to go stating " I best get myself off before (jestering to the county fans) these let realise who I am"

Sounds like he was after all...apologies...however, as I've said a post or two up, he was also definitely out around Waterhead later that night too...

Sounds like he was after all...apologies...however, as I've said a post or two up, he was also definitely out around Waterhead later that night too...

I can't vouch for where he went after. Other than he made his way to the other side of the pitch after leaving that seat.

Look, I haven't spent the best part of two years stalking Hughes, so I don't know what he gets up to off the pitch.

But a headline "of injured footballer gets pissed when he's not playing" leaves a bit to be desired in shock factor doesn't it? Change it to "Footballer dropped for boarding team coach drunk before 7.45pm kick off at Stockport" and I buy this specific issue as naughty.

He scored a lot of goals this season and without him we'd have been doomed. I suspect it would have been more if Shez had persevered with a blooming strike partnership involving Lewis Alessandra and I'm sure it would have been more if he'd signed the generous contract offered in January.

As it is, his form dropped, his willingness to chase a ball down appeared reduced, I wass worried he'd be a burden in two seasons time and despite all the doggygate nonsense I genuinely believe that Royle asked him the question "will you be here next season?" got the negative response and shipped him out to Blackpool. There may be financial benefits of not paying out for a 20 goal season, reduced wage bill and also (possibly) a loan fee from a Blackpool side who needed another goalscorer to ensure safety. I think Joe had given up on the play-offs, even at that stage.

Mix that up with Doggygate, the Taylor incident at Scunthorpe, other rumours (some mentioned in the thread) and his previous conviction and sooner or later somebody was going to make a decision to let him go. January for a fee would, in hindsight, have been best. But it would appear that there was no offer on the table, or Hughes chose to stay put (as was his right).

Have things been hushed up in any way by the club? Don't know. But to be honest, I think if Hughes had stepped out of line in some way they either need to make a public statement and sack him (if the offence was worthy of it) or make damn sure the good name of the club isn't dragged in to the gutter press by dealing with things in house and not making things public. So managing any Hughes related publicity carefully over the last 2 years will surely have been part of the remit.

Lee Hughes is a flawed character, but none of us are perfect either. I abhor his crime, especially the cowardly escape. But in many ways I admire some of the efforts he made to rehabilitate himself when he got lucky with the Latics approach.

In the end though, he's just another footballer to have worn the shirt and life moves on for the football club. There'll be other players who like a drink in the future.

Edited by opinions4u

100% correct i woz his driver that night an we left as you said 10 mins before the end

icalled in the weavers on the way back 2 see a friend an lee came in we had 2 pints

an he chatted with the locals an signed trophy grahams shirt

he woz not pist up in waterhead

No hatred for Lee Hughes - signed a 2 year contract, did well during that time, and then moved on. That is football.

Would I boo him? No. I wish him well in his remaining years in the game.

Think some seem to see him as another Chris Porter, but not for me. We offerred a deal, he didn't want it. We tried so sell him in January, but the offers/clubs were not right for all parties. So he stayed.