Why the hate for Hughes?

A lot of people are talking with contempt when it comes to Lee Hughes.....I don't quite understand why.

Is it because he didn't sign a new contract with us?

He was never obliged to, he claimed he wanted to play Championship football, that was last season, he stated he wanted to play Championship football with Oldham. It's not happened. He didn't cry and moan about not leaving in January, he shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

Is it because of his past?

Hypocrisy, his past hasn't been an issue over these past two season whilst he played for us has it? Hasn't stopped you cheering him on?

Is it because his performances towards the end of the season dropped?

So did the rest of the team, but I don't see anyone condemning golden boy Taylor who started immensely at the start of the campaign.

So what did Hughes do that was so bad?

And would you boo him if he returned with opposition?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people are talking with contempt when it comes to Lee Hughes.....I don't quite understand why.

He was never obliged to, he claimed he wanted to play Championship football, that was last season, he stated he wanted to play Championship football with Oldham. It's not happened. He didn't cry and moan about not leaving in January, he shrugged his shoulders and got on with it.

Hypocrisy, his past hasn't been an issue over these past two season whilst he played for us has it? Hasn't stopped you cheering him on?

So did the rest of the team, but I don't see anyone condemning golden boy Taylor who started immensely at the start of the campaign.

Like a lot of posters, I never really wanted him here in the first place but actually thought of him as a decent signing when the dust had settled.

There's no doubt he has an eye for a goal but he's like many players today...Totally money orientated!!!

The contract of over 4K a week that we offered him was really much more than we could afford but for him to reject it was a real kick in the teeth.

If it was solely championship football that he craved for he could simply have signed for Doncaster in January and got his wish, but it wasn't and it was all about signing on fees etc.etc.

He could have signed the contract and still moved on in the close season if any clubs were interested but that would have meant probably accepting less money without signing on bonuses!!

We did him a great service on his release from prison and the very least he could have done was show a little loyalty.

I won't boo the guy if he returns with another club but I won't cheer either.

I'm glad now that he has gone and think it will prove to be for the better!

If it was solely championship football that he craved for he could simply have signed for Doncaster in January and got his wish, but it wasn't and it was all about signing on fees etc.etc.

He could have signed the contract and still moved on in the close season if any clubs were interested but that would have meant probably accepting less money without signing on bonuses!!

Doncaster looked certs for relegation in January, he didn't want to be playing in League One next season. In hindsight it would have been a good move for him.

We did him a great service on his release from prison and the very least he could have done was show a little loyalty.

Not for his benefit. For our own....we saw an opportunity and took it. A former £6million rated striker going for free. We didn't sign him out of the kindness of our hearts, we had our own agenda. We offered him a two year deal, he signed it and has seen it through (more or less). Had he turned out completely crap would we have been loyal to him and handed him another contract? Did we hand a good servant to the club like Paul Warne (who loved the club through and through) a new contract after he earned it? Nope. Hughes didn't have to sign with us in the first place, a Championship team supposedly offered him a contract after we did but he chose to sign ours because we were the first team to offer him a deal. I don't know how true that is though.

I'll clap him if he returns, for contributing largely to the best 2 aways trips I've had in years. Everton and Leeds (this season). In both matches he gave 110%.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Maybe its the same people who hate Kilkenny. He was never even our player yet when he wanted to leave for a bigger team with greater potential of gaining promotion he was called a Judas. People quickly forgot that it was him and Croft who stopped us being relegated to the bottom division in his first spell.

Just another greedy footballer. I was prepared to stand by him and support him whatever as long as he was an Oldham player ever since he joined us. Now he's not our player.

It's not as if he showed us any loyalty or gratitude whatsoever so why can't people have negative opinions about him?

The club is better off without him.

Guest sheridans_world
Just another greedy footballer. I was prepared to stand by him and support him whatever as long as he was an Oldham player ever since he joined us. Now he's not our player.

It's not as if he showed us any loyalty or gratitude whatsoever so why can't people have negative opinions about him?

Yawn bloody yawn.

Footballers take what they can, if you'd been offered a more than double pay rise, would you take it?

32 years old not got olong left in the game we cant offer him a good contract Gl to him best striker oldham has had for years and we let him go

Well obviously you still like the guy. That's your opinion, im not going to try to undermine that with :censored:ty "yawn bloody yawn" comments.

I don't hate him, but he is an idiot with a big drink problem. He brought goals, thats why i personally liked him when he played for us and the fact he got opposition fans riled up. But as a whole i feel he had a bad affect on the squad and the club, i don't think i need to explain why there are so many reasons.

He needs to be forgotten about.

Decent player - brainless mentality.

He always ran 40 yards to get involved in any skirmish and picked up too many silly bookings for my liking. Maybe if he had a more stable mental side he wouldn't be the same player, who knows?

He won't get applause from me if he ever returned, not because I've anything against him, but I don't applaud anything except good work on the park and I wouldn't want to encourage the opposition :)

32 years old not got olong left in the game we cant offer him a good contract Gl to him best striker oldham has had for years and we let him go

We did offer him a top notch contract.

His performances after choosing not to sign it suggest we'd have had a highly paid substitute for the next two seasons.

In my view Latics exploited his circumstances as much as he has used Latics to try and relaunch his career at a higher level.

Good luck to the bloke. Suspect we're better off without the financial burden of a highly paid 33 year old round our necks.

Decent player - brainless mentality.

He always ran 40 yards to get involved in any skirmish and picked up too many silly bookings for my liking. Maybe if he had a more stable mental side he wouldn't be the same player, who knows?

He won't get applause from me if he ever returned, not because I've anything against him, but I don't applaud anything except good work on the park and I wouldn't want to encourage the opposition :)

hit the nail on the head there sir!

A footballers career is a short career and they try to get the most money they can out of it.

Although I still would have liked him to stay and hope his goals got us somewhere it was Big Joes decision to send him out on loan its not like Hughes quit, Hughes was willing to play his contract out but Joe would have none of it .

Edited by razza699

I dont hate Hughesy at all but just wish he had left for Doncaster and brought some much needed money into the club. Money was probably the main factor in Lee knocking Donny back when he knew that he was a free agent come summer time, but at his age his next contract will be his last real pay day so you cannot really blame him can you ?

:disappointed:

I dont hate Hughesy at all but just wish he had left for Doncaster and brought some much needed money into the club. Money was probably the main factor in Lee knocking Donny back when he knew that he was a free agent come summer time, but at his age his next contract will be his last real pay day so you cannot really blame him can you ?

he never turned doncaster down he didnt even talk to them he didnt even no he was going out on loan till 3.30 on thursday when he got a phone call of is agent there is a lot behind the scenes at boundary park that the fans should no

he never turned doncaster down he didnt even talk to them he didnt even no he was going out on loan till 3.30 on thursday when he got a phone call of is agent there is a lot behind the scenes at boundary park that the fans should no

Well...were waiting...spill the beans!

Edited by oafc0000

I dont dislike the guy and was glad him playing for us than against us since he's been here.

The only problem i have with him is that he looked as if he couldnt be arsed after January deadline finished, but then i spose we could say that for the majority of the team. He did have some good touches and a good eye for goal but will be interested to see how he does at Championship level next season (providing he signs for someone in it) as i dont think he has the fitness or ability anymore to make it as a successful second tier striker.

he never turned doncaster down he didnt even talk to them

Maybe Doncaster decided, after initial interest and after listening to the insular footballing grapevine that they'd give Mr Hughes a swerve, and who could blame them, his alleged extra curricular activities considered!

He wanted Championship football and didn't sign the very lucrative contract we offered him. Hardly letting him go I think you'll agree.

Then you're either stupid or ignorant...I'll let you choose which

No...it's coz he's a prick who went around playing the big "I am"...getting pissed up in every pub around Waterhead and such and paying rare token gestures to his past...

Got on with it, like getting himself suspended for cup games (deliberately, depending which side of the fence you're on!) Or is it getting on with it, ala, being constantly offside after having his contract that was offered, ripped up?

Was partly that...now got many more reasons, as explained above

For the large majority not wanting him here...no...you'll find many posts in the past 2 years (unless you're being ignorant to that...you're regular on here, so must be!) stating about not wanting him here...and cheering him on? Nope...cheered when my teams scored. Won't sing his name...good player, sadly an utter arsehole though

Already answered this

Not aware that "Golden Boy" has a lot of peoples trust to earn or re-pay

Oh my...you're post is getting stupid now...

Absolutely!

Edited by boundaryblue80

People quickly forgot that it was him and Croft who stopped us being relegated to the bottom division in his first spell.

Bollocks! Kilkenny....utterly overrated....couldn't win at home in his 2nd spell under him...Croft made Kilkenny and the whole team look good! But for Croft, we would've gone down...not Kilkenny!