Step forward David Eyres ?

You heard it here first :grin:

He's getting on a bit now though!

It was funny seeing Westlake pushed out there in the 2nd half though, he kept coming infield naturally in the first. He reminded me of Eyresey & Holden, hugging the line. Till he got the ball!

oh please.....why?

any one who's been in management before please.

Lets get something straight... I don't want it to happen... :)

But how many other cheap ex-players who would jump at the chance of management and are held in high regards are knocking about :) Sounds right up the current boards street to be frank. Plus he was at the game Saturday :)

Not such a silly suggestion?

Why is it important to get a manager with experience - if they have experience and are willing to take a job at a 3rd division team with showstring budget, then you can bet a fair bit of that experience is experience of 'failure'. If there experience was of success they wouldn't be interested in out job.

At least a new manager hasn't already failed and our club could be the one they 'earn a reputation' for before moving on. Thinking of other teams who have got out of this division how much experience did the following have?

The physio at Scunthorpe? Di Matteo? Simon Grayson? Darren Ferguson? Fergie Jr has only done 120ish games and won 2 promotions.

OK some of them have had some financial backing but the point that an in experienced manager is a bad thing is not necessarily true.

As for Eyres himself - fantastic work ethic and fitness as a player. Attributes that would suit a manager and also attributes I'd like to see being demonstrated on the pitch by all the players, not just a minority.

He may fail, he may not want it, but its not the most stupid suggestion IMO that I'll read on this board over the next week or two I'm sure.

No thanks. Hopefully the club goes down the road of someone with no affiliation whatsoever to the club.

Why?

We have had a few of those over the last few years as well with very little success to show for it. Talbot / Moore / Warnock / Wadsworth etc. Dowie was the exception, but then again he was backed heavily with money and still ultimately failed (and if you look at the stats that season our home form was poor like this).

One name that is an ex player that hasn't been mentioned so far is

Frankie Bunn !!!

No2 at Coventry doing ok on a shoe string budget and he still commutes to Cov from the Oldham area most days !! :unsure:

Doesn’t he have the stand out worst record in the whole world as a No 1 though? Something like played one, conceded 14, scored 0? Not actually a crazy shout though, he’s been working his way up in the game.

I was impresse with Eyre's communication with the management team during his games.

He seemed destined to management to me.

I assume he is still an agent, so he certainly woudl have a full contacts book, though they could be on mega bucks.

I'll tell you which of our ex-players could do it, if he wanted, and would probably do a damn fine job.

Andy Barlow.

Sports nutrition Andy Barlow style would see Crossley balloon to immense proportions...

The "puddin' on a muffi" would make a great half-time snack. I'm in.

I was impresse with Eyre's communication with the management team during his games.

He seemed destined to management to me.

I assume he is still an agent, so he certainly woudl have a full contacts book, though they could be on mega bucks.

i hope ur not a chairman at oldham

The only recent ex player who I would take a chance on would be Tony Carss.

Always came across well, has a passion for the club and had a great work ethic as a player. Doubt it will happen but I think we could do worse.

Hes about to be a journo

i hope ur not a chairman at oldham

Sorry not very clear from my post, wasn't agreeing that Eyresy is serious suggestion that he could have been had he wanted to be, assume he is sticking to agent work but that his agent book would be useful if he decided to move in that direction.

Edited by singe