Fan Support - Go Mental

Well seeing as only somewhat of the Rocky sings and dare I say the Chaddy, I was thinking, why don't we just go mental, supporting wise. Proper singing n stuff like that? It cuts out moaning for sure.

Thoughts?

ahh so thats where I have been going wrong, I have been singing instead of going mental . Gotcha

We've been here before. It's a cultural thing, we will find a handful of Latics supporters willing to have a go at this - but the majority, at Oldham anyway - do not want to do it. I mean look at how the drum was recieved, and the standing up singing in general.

The matchday experience will be as much or a little as the fans want it to be, at the moment the majority of fans at BP would rather sit down and watch the game - to be honest so do I , which is fine - but you can forget all that stuff you've posted and all the Panathinaikos songs and everything else that goes with it. Forget it, it's not going to work in Oldham.

We Love you, We follow

Why can we not be more like this?

Would certainly get my interest back!

People having fun at an Oldham game though and getting behind the team? Its not going to happen is it :(

Atmospheres in England are pretty dire these days. I really think if there was a team out there who's fans got behind the team, they could make a real difference in lifting their players and making their home ground a fortress!

Just a quick edit to say we have it in us sometimes!! Leicester this season was great, as has the previous 2 games away at Forest and the Masters!!

Edited by wozz_oafc

We've been here before. It's a cultural thing, we will find a handful of Latics supporters willing to have a go at this - but the majority, at Oldham anyway - do not want to do it. I mean look at how the drum was recieved, and the standing up singing in general.

The matchday experience will be as much or a little as the fans want it to be, at the moment the majority of fans at BP would rather sit down and watch the game - to be honest so do I , which is fine - but you can forget all that stuff you've posted and all the Panathinaikos songs and everything else that goes with it. Forget it, it's not going to work in Oldham.

What you say is correct its not going to work in Oldham on that scale at all.

It would be great if the club could make a singing section at least, where like minded people can get together and sing stand get behind the team. Therefore not interfering with those who want to sit down quietly and watch the match unfold. The stadium is big enough to cater for all watching preferences.

Just a quick edit to say we have it in us sometimes!! Leicester this season was great, as has the previous 2 games away at Forest and the Masters!!

Away games are for singing. That's the whole point of them.

It works at away grounds when we're not next to the home fans.

And it wrked in the old, old days (well, late 80s/early 90s) when the away fans usually had the RRE and the majority of home fans were in the chaddy.

i know, because everyone has to sit together. what i mean is if the club said 'the second A part of the chaddy is a singing section, dont sit there if you dont like singing' and turned a blind eye to swearing and standing, it wouldnt fully work because a lot of the people you need prefer the rocky for the view. or if they said its the L section of the rocky, it wouldnt really work, because a lot of the people you need are over near the away fans ballooning. whereas if they said it for the bit near the away fans, it would work because most are already there, the moaners would move or quit, and people would sit nearer, or further from, there each week, depending on how much they felt like ballooning.

People having fun at an Oldham game though and getting behind the team? Its not going to happen is it :(

Atmospheres in England are pretty dire these days. I really think if there was a team out there who's fans got behind the team, they could make a real difference in lifting their players and making their home ground a fortress!

Stoke City.......good example

Exactly, new username, same unrealistic ideas.

No hope lost.

Well look at the video of FC Sankt Pauli. One of the 2. Bundesliga's best fans and although they don't have a large amount of fans singing, they can make some noise alright.

I travelled to the away game (Frankfurt v St. Pauli) and they were amazing to say the size of them.

I think people are living off expectations. As they say, the fans are the twelth man.

I think it would make a HUGE difference too.

What you say is correct its not going to work in Oldham on that scale at all.

It would be great if the club could make a singing section at least, where like minded people can get together and sing stand get behind the team. Therefore not interfering with those who want to sit down quietly and watch the match unfold. The stadium is big enough to cater for all watching preferences.

Very true. However just because we are a league one club, doesn't mean we can't make a difference I suppose?

the problem with the singing section idea, is that if it isnt behind the gol in the rocky, next to the away fans, then it wont really work!

Yet again, very true.

i know, because everyone has to sit together. what i mean is if the club said 'the second A part of the chaddy is a singing section, dont sit there if you dont like singing' and turned a blind eye to swearing and standing, it wouldnt fully work because a lot of the people you need prefer the rocky for the view. or if they said its the L section of the rocky, it wouldnt really work, because a lot of the people you need are over near the away fans ballooning. whereas if they said it for the bit near the away fans, it would work because most are already there, the moaners would move or quit, and people would sit nearer, or further from, there each week, depending on how much they felt like ballooning.

Well most clubs fans, often call theirselves after they gate/section they sit in. Olympiacos' bunch are now as Gate 13.

It would be hard, but it's possible.

I couldn't disagree more.

The fact of the matter is, I reckon the majority of the fans under the age of 45 like to have a sing and get behind the team at the games. Generally speaking, the more mature of this age group rely on the younger lads to start the songs off, come up with imaginative/witty chants etc. The trouble is, the current "singing section" next to the away fans at home games has been hijacked by a number of jumped up 13/14 year olds who love the fact that they can give fully grown away fans as much grief as they want on the basis they are protected by the gap in between. (real tough that lads)

It appears to me that other than "Sheridans Blue and White army" and the recently re released and equally imaginative "Big Fat Joe's Blue and White army" the songs favoured by this area are anti Man U, "Have you ever seen your d**k" and your support is "f**kin sh**e", not to mention the Ronnie Moore and Fergie songs, hardly little ditty's which are going to 1, inspire the team 2, encourage participation from the rest of the crowd

When they are bored with that then its the old steward baiting game of carrying on standing when not singing and even when the action is stopped. On this subject, to the girl behind the goal on Saturday telling the steward to f off, go and tell them to sit down pointing at the away fans, your Mother must be so proud of you.

The thing is, years ago when I was their age, I was probably the same. Difference was it was in the early 80's when you had to back up your taunts after the game. I'm sure if that was the case today, then we'd find quite a few of the "crew" might have their noses in the psp's and ds's.