Were signing 3 Darlo players

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm i must have been watching that other Oldham Athletic which has not been playing well.

All I am saying is if people expect another promotion push from the off, he is going to be turned on straight away isnt he if we dont start well and as the team is in a bit of a mess at the moment that surely must be a probability.

First priority is to survive in league 1?

We are better than that!

First priority is to survive in league 1?

We are better than that!

Really? If Joe's reign has showed anything it's that Shez over-achieved with a mediocre bunch of players who without Hughes would have been up s*** creek without a paddle.

Would love it if I'm proved wrong, but can't see us making much of a challenge next year, regardless of who's in charge. Mid-table I expect, which means first priority is making sure we steer clear of getting sucked into a dogfight.

Just that little niggle that league two players might not be good enough to take a team in to the Championship.

That said, if a manager knows how to get the best out of his players then anything is possible.

*cough* Peterboroughs squad did it this season :wink:

Really? If Joe's reign has showed anything it's that Shez over-achieved with a mediocre bunch of players who without Hughes would have been up s*** creek without a paddle.

Would love it if I'm proved wrong, but can't see us making much of a challenge next year, regardless of who's in charge. Mid-table I expect, which means first priority is making sure we steer clear of getting sucked into a dogfight.

We've been crying out for the club to look downwards as well as upwards for players for a while now; when we do; its turned upon. There really isn't a massive leap in quality between L2 & L1.

Jamie Ward has gone from L2 Chesterfield to Championship Sheff Utd without Fuss, Mike Williams has gone from L2 Wycombe to Championship Watford & made a massive difference to them defensively, the Mongs & P'boro players have more than coped in our division haven't they.

If we do bring in Darlo's 3 best players, i'd expect them to be more than a match for what we already have here at the moment.

Expectation level wise; DP now he is confrimed, is going to need time to stamp his own authority on the club; bring in his players, work with the ones here already to get them onto his way of doing things. It won't happen overnight; he'll need time & our pateince as fans. Though he wasn't / isn't my choice; he'll get that from me. If in 2 years time we're treading water or worse then maybe it's fair to start sharpening the knives, but i think we should see who he brings in.

NB: its also worth pointing out that while at Darlo he brought David Wheater in on loan from Premiership M'boro; he now catches the England U21s & has had calls up to the full squad. Billy Clarke also in on loan this season from Championship Ipswich. Loans as well as signed up players might be key for us & those 2 examples aren't to shoddy on the part of DP.

Same here.

wonder if DP has caught wind of this MB yet,scanned through it and though..

"WTF have i done???" :wacko:

said in his interview on ssn that the first priority is 50 points.thats enough points to avoid relegation,and the sooner those points are gained,the sooner you look to push forward,once you get to around 65 70 points then anything is possible,but you have to start solidly and get those points on the board early.

i think that is a pretty sensible appraoch really.

he has been on the payroll for 3 hours,and there is so much negativuty on this board tonight its untrue..

i think after this weekend people need to have a serious look at themselves,and let people get on with sorting out new players and new ideas and new approaches before condeming next seasons results players and manager before this season is even finished....

I've not read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned previously.

The one thing that stands out to me in the Corney interview is that he feels the need to already defend the new manager against some of the negative comments that are circulating (on here I presume).

Some peoples attitudes really are pathetic, this guy comes with an excellent CV in lower league management.

Corney says he has spoken to many people within the game about Penney, his previous chairman etc and everything he has heard about him is positive.

He also has a proven track record of promotion in the lower leagues, his teams play decent football and he obviously has an eye for a player.

I think all Simon Corney is asking is that we give him a chance, to be criticising before he has even started really is ridiculous.

I've not read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned previously.

The one thing that stands out to me in the Corney interview is that he feels the need to already defend the new manager against some of the negative comments that are circulating (on here I presume).

Some peoples attitudes really are pathetic, this guy comes with an excellent CV in lower league management.

Corney says he has spoken to many people within the game about Penney, his previous chairman etc and everything he has heard about him is positive.

He also has a proven track record of promotion in the lower leagues, his teams play decent football and he obviously has an eye for a player.

I think all Simon Corney is asking is that we give him a chance, to be criticising before he has even started really is ridiculous.

Hear hear.

It's funny how when Shez was in people were angry about how we kept signing washed up Premiership players and weren't looking to talent in the leagues below. This is hopefully what DP will do. And when there's talk of him doing so, the same people whinge about us going for players not up to the standard.

Welcome to BP Dave and good luck.

I really love it how people are just assuming any players playing for a Divison 4 club are not good enough for a division 3 club. And coincidentally it's the same poeple who bleat about us not sourcing talent from lower leagues.

these are the same people that if you'd give them a choice of different players in this division and ask who'd they rather have - they'd still choose the latics player. These are the same people who frown at a signing because they've never heard of him, so instantly dismiss him as crap.

Kennedy is a cut above Allott, Maher, Whittaker. If we get him, i'll be pleased. I'm not fussed about the other two, I just want Kennedy.

Like it or not. There's one or two Darlo players who could walk straight into our starting line up.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

these are the same people that if you'd give them a choice of different players in this division and ask who'd they rather have - they'd still choose the latics player.

Kennedy is a cut above Allott, Maher, Whittaker. If we get him, i'll be pleased. I'm not fussed about the other two, I just want Kennedy.

I think Rocky might just want Kennedy.

Perhaps it's because the mentality has been 'mid-table/stay in the division to start with...' with every manager since Warnock that we've become bogged down in this division-and been lucky to stay in it a couple of times. Low ambition guarantees low achievement.