As much as Allott n Gregan were half decent...

thats all they were and no team is going to win the League 1 title with these 2 in their team. IMO we need some major changes this season. Id be looking for a couple of centre halfs 3 midfielder 2 strikers and a couple of wingers. I think fleming is good enough for a first team keeper and then a left back would do because Kelvin Lomax is the worst footballer I have ever seen

thats all they were and no team is going to win the League 1 title with these 2 in their team. IMO we need some major changes this season. Id be looking for a couple of centre halfs 3 midfielder 2 strikers and a couple of wingers. I think fleming is good enough for a first team keeper and then a left back would do because Kelvin Lomax is the worst footballer I have ever seen

disagree mate,allott and gregan are more than capable in this league,as for lomax ive seen plenty worse to,why do we need two wingers when we have taylor and the ever improving smalley, saying that penney might decide to cull them to.

I would say that whilst the team perhaps over-performed early on last season and were found out by the end, the nucleus of a good side was there - Eardley-Gregan-Taylor-Allott. I'm personally not overly happy with the fact that we're effectively starting from scratch...there was a decent core to that team that should have been kept together and the rest of the side improved.

I'm sure DP wants to come in and put his stamp on things, but the way people harp on about how bad some of our good players are/were, you'd have thought we'd been relegated.

I would say that whilst the team perhaps over-performed early on last season and were found out by the end, the nucleus of a good side was there - Eardley-Gregan-Taylor-Allott. I'm personally not overly happy with the fact that we're effectively starting from scratch...there was a decent core to that team that should have been kept together and the rest of the side improved.

I'm sure DP wants to come in and put his stamp on things, but the way people harp on about how bad some of our good players are/were, you'd have thought we'd been relegated.

we were doing well when hughes was interested,after the dogs we went downhill,shez lost the players the rest is history.

Greegan represented a core alright. Not sure it was a core I'd want though. How can Penney be expected to come in a change the drinking culture at the club when one of its (alleged) founders is still here?

Half-decent? Gregan was the best footballing centre-half at this level, just too slow and not quite tall enough to boss it. As for Allott; not the greatest in the world but I'd have no qualms about seeing him start the season as one of our first-choice midfield. Tremendous last year don't forget.

As for Allott; not the greatest in the world but I'd have no qualms about seeing him start the season as one of our first-choice midfield.

I would agree with this if he'd reproduced his player-of-the-year form this season. As it stands, I think we can do better. I'd've preferred him to stay as a solid back up player, though.

Greegan represented a core alright. Not sure it was a core I'd want though. How can Penney be expected to come in a change the drinking culture at the club when one of its (alleged) founders is still here?

you need expierience in your team,gregan had it,allott had it,will the non leagers or league twos have it.

I'm personally not overly happy with the fact that we're effectively starting from scratch...there was a decent core to that team that should have been kept together and the rest of the side improved.

Why not. It's Penney's team. Why should he be lumped with players he doesnt want in his team when he has the opportunity to release them.

He's come in out of nowhere. No blue tinted glasses on and knows exactly what he wants and what he's prepared to offer people.

You thought there was a decent core. Penney obviously didnt - or his selection of core players is marginally different to yours.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Why not. It's Penney's team. Why should he be lumped with players he doesnt want in his team when he has the opportunity to release them.

He's come in out of nowhere. No blue tinted glasses on and knows exactly what he wants and what he's prepared to offer people.

You thought there was a decent core. Penney obviously didnt - or his selection of core players is marginally different to yours.

of what's left I can only see Eardley & Taylor as first choice in their positions :shock:

and of the other previous first team regulars I'd imagine he has Smalley, Hazell, Allessandra & Fleming in mind as back up only.

on the opening day I think we'll have a new first choice keeper, left back, 2 centre halfs, 2 centre mids, 2 forwards :shock:

oh, and a winger :lol:

it's carnage!

Half-decent? Gregan was the best footballing centre-half at this level, just too slow and not quite tall enough to boss it. As for Allott; not the greatest in the world but I'd have no qualms about seeing him start the season as one of our first-choice midfield. Tremendous last year don't forget.

you can be a great footballing centre half...but if u cant catch a cold then you need someone who will

an allott...last yr is last yr...you're only as good as you're last performance/season

so this cull is needed...get rid of dead wood wand bring in a new regime and new core that can maybe be together for next few years...cos gregan prob only had one season left with us anyway...he'd have people in zimma frames going past him!

Edited by bensonio

Personally glad gregan has gone ( not for footballing reasons, i reckon he upset the dressing room). Allott? hmm tricky. his form in 07/08 was outstanding, but this year he has been far from it. too many times he has gone missing or had a stinker. not overly fussed he has gone.

Presumably Penney has a plan. its easy to say "I cant believe _ _ _ _ _ _ has been released", but If We get something equall as good or better, who are we to complain. In DP we trust.

Some of the posts here are spot on. Penney has got rid of players on the fringes and players who made up the core of a top ten side. There will be no room for 'these aren't his players' type excuses if things go wrong. The pressure is well and truly on the bloke to produce results come August.

Its all well and good saying "we should have kept allott", just to point out we did try to keep him and offered a contract wth improved terms, but Mark turned it down, probably because of the contract length, and with a young family to support i dont blame him

If he ends up back here next season playing against us, i will clap him

As far as the cull goes, fully agree it is needed!!!!!

Gregan was 35, and even the likes of owusu could beat him for pace, and as has been previously said, why should penney be lumbered with all of sheridans players, and how are we supposed to stop the drinking culture by keeping one of the biggest piss artists at the club???

The further away we can get from last year, management and team, the better

Some of the posts here are spot on. Penney has got rid of players on the fringes and players who made up the core of a top ten side. There will be no room for 'these aren't his players' type excuses if things go wrong. The pressure is well and truly on the bloke to produce results come August.

Why????

Who says he has been told he has to make the playoffs?

Why????

Who says he has been told he has to make the playoffs?

The fact the board have sacked two managers who've contributed 4 consecutive top ten finishes suggests that that isn't acceptable. The day after we dropped out of the play-off places this year Shez was gone. Either the board are clueless and just respond to the general feeling in the stands or on the internet to keep themselves in favour (in which case you could be right), or they have a plan and Moore and Sheridan didn't provide the goods. The other possibility is that next year is going to be transitional in which case I can't see anywhere near 4500 turning up regularly never mind buying season tickets!!

I'm just trying to look at the most positive of those scenarios. Time and signings will tell.

I entirely agree. An awful lot of experience and ability is going here. Like many fans, I am not too worried about the other players released but I think Penney could have done a lot worse than get another season out of these two. They were in many ways the core of the team and will not be so easy to replace.

I entirely agree. An awful lot of experience and ability is going here. Like many fans, I am not too worried about the other players released but I think Penney could have done a lot worse than get another season out of these two. They were in many ways the core of the team and will not be so easy to replace.

And large contributors to the majority view on here that we did not play good football for a great part of last season. Penney has rightly, in my opinion, got rid of them and can now concentrate on, hopefully, bringing together a squad that has teamwork and plays good football.

I know we chopped and changed the team a little last season, but when you line up a typical starting 11 and consider their suitability for Championship football, it's hard to see where their motivation to get the team promoted came from. Consider what their mind-set would be about the following season at a higher level. The reward for getting Oldham Athletic promoted would, in many cases, have been getting dropped or shipped out.

Crossley - very unlikely he expected to play next season

Eardley - possible that he'd expect to play, but hardly hit his best form

Lomax - must know that he isn't a Championship quality player

Gregan - did he really expect a contract at a higher level age 35?

Hazell - again, not sure he would consider himself good enough.

Taylor - no issues playing at a higher level

Liddell - I don't think he expected to play much in L1 in the season just ended, let alone higher the following year.

Allott - possibly one last pay day, but wouldn't set the division alight.

Whitaker - came from relegated Port Vale

Hughes - the way he started the season, yes. I'd hate to have seen his attitude Feb-May next season in a relegation battle to stay in the Championship though.

Alessandra - developing as a player, but Championship football would depend very much on the rate of that development.

Maher - been there, done it, got relegated

Lee - played there with QPR

Smalley - if he can deliver an end product (cross/goal) he's got it. If that isn't coached in to him though, he hasn't

Davies - only if he changed his attitude. Brighton don't seem keen at the bottom of this division

O'Grady - came from a division below, apart from the sexy flick in the build up to the winner v Walsall I saw nothing saying "Championship Player"

Fleming - I think he's got it (although that rushing out at strikers' feet thing needs regining in)

Stam - nah

Kalala - nah

Stephens - I'm not qualified to comment, he's one for the future you know

Black - nah

Wolf - nah

In other words, it looks like more than half the starting line-up were chasing a promotion knowing full well they wouldn't be part of the team if they achieved it. Not the best carrot is it?

My only concern with DP is he couldn't quite deliver it with Doncaster, who had a few spare quid. In what way will we be different?

Hopefully lessons learned 3 years ago make him a better manager now. Younger players, quality coaching and development and a well bonded team are the way forward. The key question will be "do the players he brings in improve what he's shifted out?". Time will tell.

Edited by opinions4u