Play Off Finals Thread

So because other small clubs have managed something that you yourself admit is very difficult we should have already done it?

Yes. If the owners at the time had shown initiative and tried to get us straight back up in the first couple of seasons after relegation in 1997, then arguably we wouldn't be in the dire situation we find ourselves in now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. If the owners at the time had shown initiative and tried to get us straight back up in the first couple of seasons after relegation in 1997, then arguably we wouldn't be in the dire situation we find ourselves in now.
There is an element of truth to that. But it's now 2009 and you're only allowed to play the golf ball from where it lands.

Can we get back on topic plase corp, this is about the football league play-offs going on this current season (2008/09)

How long will you hold a grudge that is now a decade old against a club that's board has entirely changed (bar Hardy) and is trying to move forward, or do you believe TTA are happy letting the club stagnate and know exactly what they are doing? It seems strange that you think of the club as an actual entity, as though you can blame things on Oldham Athletic rather than people who now have nothing to do with Oldham Athletic. So maybe your grudge should be with previous owners and not Oldham Athletic.....

Moving aside from debate about Oldham in 1997 - I popped out to see what Mr Sainsbury might have to quench my thirst a little while ago, not wanting to listen to the Newcastle relegation for fear of cursing it, and I passed a Millwall fan who was talking, extremely loudly, to his, "BRUV," on the phone, bemoaning the result and saying the first goal was good enough to win the game on it's own. The tosser watched it in a pub when he was about 10 miles from Wembley! I hope Lee Hughes sneaks into his flat and bums his wife tonight.

The winners had put together a team full of foreigners with superior skills.

Arguably, a weaker side but with better positional discipline. And they said their prayers and went to bed the night before the final, whereas the home team got :censored:ted till all hours...

I told you we should make a 'The Club is Stagnating' sub-forum for the corp, that way this wouldn't happen......

I'm off out for a few beverages now, but you keep the excuses coming son. More of this kind of thing and you could end up OWTB Chief Apologist before you start shaving.

I'm off out for a few beverages now, but you keep the excuses coming son. More of this kind of thing and you could end up OWTB Chief Apologist before you start shaving.

I'm sorry what are you talking about, excuses for what? What excuses? You keep chasing your tail and you might be, nah just keep chasing your tail.

Arguably, a weaker side but with better positional discipline. And they said their prayers and went to bed the night before the final, whereas the home team got :censored:ted till all hours...

Home side's manager was too old school, whereas the opposition had put one of them smartarse continental types in charge.

Failure laddie. Excuses for failure.

Did I excuse us not having a good go at it when we first got relegated? Please point it out. All i'm saying is you are holding a grudge against the club which is utterly ridiculous when your real grudge is against people who no longer have anything to do with Oldham Athletic. It's bizarre.

Failure laddie. Excuses for failure.

Whose making excuses though? They were a better team than us this season over the course of 46 games, finishing 11 points above us, and a goal difference of +19 compared to our +1, and two consistent goalscorer with hooper (24) and hayes (17).

Our only goal threat all season was hughes. Our chance was in 2007 when this division was at its weakest. We bottled it, simple as, no excuses, and got ripped apart by an in form blackpool team playing with a hell of alot more desire than us.

Apparently Sheff Utd should have had a penalty, so part of me hopes they win cos i don't want another year of them whining about how everyone's conspiring against them and life's not fair.

Did I excuse us not having a good go at it when we first got relegated? Please point it out. All i'm saying is you are holding a grudge against the club which is utterly ridiculous when your real grudge is against people who no longer have anything to do with Oldham Athletic. It's bizarre.

Expressing your dissatisfaction with being constantly disappointed isn't any kind of grudge. Who are 'the club' anyway?

Ultimately, those who were in charge at boardroom level during the PL days are to blame for our quite probably irreversible decline. They are not in charge now, but the club continues to flounder.

Apparently Sheff Utd should have had a penalty, so part of me hopes they win cos i don't want another year of them whining about how everyone's conspiring against them and life's not fair.

COME ON BURNLEY! great goal, i hope they do it, my grans here watching it, and my grandad will be dancing in his grave

Expressing your dissatisfaction with being constantly disappointed isn't any kind of grudge. Who are 'the club' anyway?

Ultimately, those who were in charge at boardroom level during the PL days are to blame for our quite probably irreversible decline. They are not in charge now, but the club continues to flounder.

There are already several threads based on your opinion of our irreversable decline. This is, today, about Burnley and Shef. United... please keep it on topic.

Whose making excuses though? They were a better team than us this season over the course of 46 games, finishing 11 points above us, and a goal difference of +19 compared to our +1, and two consistent goalscorer with hooper (24) and hayes (17).

Our only goal threat all season was hughes. Our chance was in 2007 when this division was at its weakest. We bottled it, simple as, no excuses, and got ripped apart by an in form blackpool team playing with a hell of alot more desire than us.

Lots of posters on here constantly find excuses for the club's continuing failure.

As already referred to, they range from other clubs having 'massive fanbases,' through our inability to being unable to compete with others because they won the FA Cup during the 19th century, to the likes of Scunthorpe having the, ahem, good fortune to appoint decent managers who sign good players and get the best out of them.

There are already several threads based on your opinion of our irreversable decline. This is, today, about Burnley and Shef. United... please keep it on topic.

You might have noticed that I'm answering points already made to me.

Apart from that let's keep it on topic.