success next season.

The last four season's have seen us finish 10th,6th,8th and 10th, but two managers have been sacked because it's been deemed not to be good enough (with Sheridan being axed the minute we dropped out of the play offs). This would suggest that anything less than a serious bash at the play offs at least would see Penney sweating at the end of the season.

Personally I don't expect much next year, but then again I rarely do. I just hope Penney gets the time to build his squad that could ultimately get us out of this

Division. It will probably take time ie: years not months, but patience seems to be a virtue in short supply at Boundary Park.

As for the original question, success is promotion. Making steps towards that goal by having a reasonable season (say finishing in the top half) will only ultimately be a success if thev manager is allowed to build on it and not removed/hounded out because that one season is not good enough.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

When Wardle said...

"I think and believe that you I_C have some idea of the complications and problems that surround modern day football and running a club of the statue of Oldham Athletic."

I thought maybe you were an old regular poster called Inspiral Carpet who disapeared, especially as you recently mentioned that you have had a previous username. If you're not I have no idea what Wardle meant......cover blown?

When Wardle said...

"I think and believe that you I_C have some idea of the complications and problems that surround modern day football and running a club of the statue of Oldham Athletic."

I thought maybe you were an old regular poster called Inspiral Carpet who disapeared, especially as you recently mentioned that you have had a previous username. If you're not I have no idea what Wardle meant......cover blown?

I have never had a previous username on this site.

I didn't understand that part of Wardle's post either. If I remember correctly, wasn't Inspiral Carpet one of my worst critics and an apologist for continual mediocrity?

When Wardle said...

Nope sorry .. My mistake

I did mean C_J ... its just I have sausage fingers sometimes :blush: .. Post altered now

I_C is away on a secret mission somewhere :wink:

I have never had a previous username on this site.

I didn't understand that part of Wardle's post either. If I remember correctly, wasn't Inspiral Carpet one of my worst critics and an apologist for continual mediocrity?

I dunno pal....

Although you did say last week that you "have commented on players in the past under a previous username." I suppose it must have been on JKL or something. Not to worry :)

Success = Playoffs

I think this just about sums things up for me.

That said, it needs to be play-offs with belief.

The season Blackpool did us I really couldn't see the side getting to Wembley.

If it's not to be automatic promotion it needs to be reaching the play-offs with a side that looks like in can beat any other side in the top 6 of the division.

The irony of that statement is that we very possibly had that last season - when we ended up 10th.

I don't know. What I do know is that other clubs manage to keep hold of their main strikers at a crucial stage of the season.

We did in Porter's case. He left afterwards.

You made a typical sweeping statement - of "incompetence" - but fail to exemplify it. As has been said to you before , don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

And what other strikers have we let go during a "crucial stage of the season"? You did use the plural.

Edited by LaticsPete

We did in Porter's case. He left afterwards.

You made a typical sweeping statement - of "incompetence" - but fail to exemplify it. As has been said to you before , don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

And what other strikers have we let go during a "crucial stage of the season"? You did use the plural.

But the speculation on Porter's future throughout the second half of the season hardly helped matters, did it? A club with serious intentions would have sorted matters.

The post I originally replied to said we'd had a large amount of bad luck. I pointed out that except for injuries the other things highlighted were due more to incompetence than luck. You tend to make your own luck in football.

Other clubS...strikerS.

What is it about some people on here and splitting hairs?

But the speculation on Porter's future throughout the second half of the season hardly helped matters, did it? A club with serious intentions would have sorted matters.

The post I originally replied to said we'd had a large amount of bad luck. I pointed out that except for injuries the other things highlighted were due more to incompetence than luck. You tend to make your own luck in football.

Other clubS...strikerS.

What is it about some people on here and splitting hairs?

Slavery was abolished.

The team playing to their potential would be an improvement. I suppose that's a small measure of success.

It's going to be a tough division - the play-offs has got to be seen as a successful season (IF we strengthen the team as DP has said he is looking to do).