success next season.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:: what is the general view, on what would be classed as success, next season. ie new manager, budget,and players .

I'm not going to get my hopes up so I'll say anything better than survival is a bonus! At the moment I really cannot summon the slightest bit of enthusiasm fot the coming season. Hopefully DP and the team can surprise me but I will remain understated!

A squad of players willing to put a hard shift in evey time the go out on the pitch who will work for each other the manager and the club.

Followed by world peace, cars fuelled by earl grey tea and Ronaldo acquiring Tourette's.

Can't really pick myself up into a positive view on next season at the moment, hopefully when the pre season starts and i can see the team things will change but at the moment i think we could well finish around 14th. As long as we don't get relegated or anything like that then i won't mind. I can see it being a season for team building and if thats what it turns out to be i won't mind.

I'm not going to get my hopes up so I'll say anything better than survival is a bonus! At the moment I really cannot summon the slightest bit of enthusiasm fot the coming season. Hopefully DP and the team can surprise me but I will remain understated!

Same here. As we prepare to start our thirteenth season in this division, with yet another almost entirely new playing squad (possibly the weakest since the Ritchie years), people are talking about success in terms of staying up or another 'top half finish.'

Forgive me for feeling underwhelmed.

Not knowing what the tema/structure of the squad is yet, how can anyone judge yet?

Surely seeing a group of younger, hungrier players manged and playing in a disciplined manner gives folk an optimistic feel this season.

Wait and see boys and girls....it's early days!

Why are people assuming the players will be 'hungry'. What does it even mean? Hungry for what? For promotion? For simply playing? For Bovril flavoured crisps? For lager? Or what?

Players can be as hungry as they like, but without quality in a team it usually goes nowhere.

And why do we assume the young players will be hungry? Were they hungry during last season's fiasco? Wasn't it one of the younger players who allegedly texted a fan and told him he takes the club too seriously?

Why are people assuming the players will be 'hungry'. What does it even mean? ** Hungry for what? For promotion? For simply playing? For Bovril flavoured crisps? For lager? Or what?

Players can be as hungry as they like, but without quality in a team it usually goes nowhere.

And why do we assume the young players will be hungry? Were they hungry during last season's fiasco? Wasn't it one of the younger players who allegedly texted a fan and told him he takes the club too seriously?

Scunthorpe this season, were not the best squad of players in our division but the management team made them hungry for success, gave them a drive to be winners .......

Leeds, great squad but the players didnt want it enough....

If a young player isnt hungry for being in the first team and collecting their win bonus, I dont want them in the team

** In this context hungry = passion, ambition, zeal, aspiration

The management this season is more PROFESSIONAL if players dont take there game and career seriously, a loan move or Transfer will be on the cards

Top 8 next season will be the target...

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I see quality in this squad that would suggest to me that we're stronger than when Ritchie was in charge. Fleming, Eardley and Taylor are three players who I think any team at this level would consider well worth a place...

From what little I know of Purdie he sounds like a good signing, and I'm hoping for a good season from Lee this year because I am confident that we have a good player there.

As has been said it is idle speculation until we know what players are still to come in, but the couple that we have signed fit what I see as being the model we're looking for - young but experienced, athletic and with a bit of steel to add to a soft midfield. If, and it is a big if I grant you, we sign well up front and at centre-half then we'll have the basis of a decent first XI which could do well if they can knit.

There are some pretty average teams at this level and in light of the above I'm reasonably hopeful of seeing us do well next year. Whether that means bothering the play-offs or the top half will depend on the quality of our reinforcements, how well the relegated teams do and how good the promoted teams turn out to be.

Why are people assuming the players will be 'hungry'. What does it even mean? Hungry for what? For promotion? For simply playing? For Bovril flavoured crisps? For lager? Or what?

no childrens parties this afternoon?

Scunthorpe this season, were not the best squad of players in our division but the management team made them hungry for success, gave them a drive to be winners .......

Leeds, great squad but the players didnt want it enough....

If a young player isnt hungry for being in the first team and collecting their win bonus, I dont want them in the team

** In this context hungry = passion, ambition, zeal, aspiration

The management this season is more PROFESSIONAL if players dont take there game and career seriously, a loan move or Transfer will be on the cards

Top 8 next season will be the target...

I appreciate those facts. However, it is another version of the 'Blackpool came from nowhere to get promoted in the play-offs' argument that was wheeled out when we lagged behind the top six two seasons ago. Overall, squads with quality are more successful than those who rely on pure endeavour or 'hunger.'

In the situation in which the club finds itself, eight postion is no different than eighteeth: the stagnation will continue.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I see quality in this squad that would suggest to me that we're stronger than when Ritchie was in charge. Fleming, Eardley and Taylor are three players who I think any team at this level would consider well worth a place...

From what little I know of Purdie he sounds like a good signing, and I'm hoping for a good season from Lee this year because I am confident that we have a good player there.

As has been said it is idle speculation until we know what players are still to come in, but the couple that we have signed fit what I see as being the model we're looking for - young but experienced, athletic and with a bit of steel to add to a soft midfield. If, and it is a big if I grant you, we sign well up front and at centre-half then we'll have the basis of a decent first XI which could do well if they can knit.

There are some pretty average teams at this level and in light of the above I'm reasonably hopeful of seeing us do well next year. Whether that means bothering the play-offs or the top half will depend on the quality of our reinforcements, how well the relegated teams do and how good the promoted teams turn out to be.

Fair comments, although I think you under-estimate the strength of the division.

It is a strange one, but what I mean is that there are few teams that are outstanding but some that are very poor. Look at Scunny and MK Dons for instance - both did well last year and yet I thought both of them were awful at centre-half, really poor.

Not many teams are great 1 to 11, but that said there are a couple who seem to be getting their houses in order (i.e. Huddersfield).

Organisation and fitness can get you a long way in this league from what I've seen, and I think if we can sharpen up those areas we'll be okay.

In the situation in which the club finds itself, eight postion is no different than eighteeth: the stagnation will continue.

sorry but you are wrong...

18th isnt 8th.... when you listern to interviews with new players at our club and others, one of the things they all mention is that " I joined because this club is challenging for promotion"

1 player in 1000 will join a club that is struggling in the league which 18th is.

A player will choose a club that impress him, by its attitude and that of its manager.

This season we have a manager who's attitude is productive to the cause. Shez had many many positive qualities but also let himself down with many more that were not so positive.

A manager wants to mange at the top just like a player wants to play at the toop, Adams (Micky) said has much in his interview at Port Vale, an experienced manager will pick and sign players that match there own ambition and this is something we have lacked in the last 3 years.....

A player will not play for Oldham this coming season if he doesnt toe the line on or off the pitch, that I know for certain...

sorry but you are wrong...

18th isnt 8th.... when you listern to interviews with new players at our club and others, one of the things they all mention is that " I joined because this club is challenging for promotion"

1 player in 1000 will join a club that is struggling in the league which 18th is.

A player will choose a club that impress him, by its attitude and that of its manager.

This season we have a manager who's attitude is productive to the cause. Shez had many many positive qualities but also let himself down with many more that were not so positive.

A manager wants to mange at the top just like a player wants to play at the toop, Adams (Micky) said has much in his interview at Port Vale, am experienced manager will pick and sign players that match there own ambition and this is something we have lacked in the last 3 years.....

A player will not play for Oldham this coming season if he doesnt toe the line on or off the pitch, that I know for certain...

Logically I'd say you're right, but during our time in the division we've had brushes with relegation, mid-table mediocrity and promotion challenges, and players and managers who are good, bad and indifferent, but the club remains in exactly the same mire with no real prospect of getting out of it.

In other words, as long as you remain in this division it's all much of a muchness regardless of where you finish at the end of a season.

(By the way, how do you get to know anything 'for certain' when it comes to all this?)

Logically I'd say you're right, but during our time in the division we've had brushes with relegation, mid-table mediocrity and promotion challenges, and players and managers who are good, bad and indifferent, but the club remains in exactly the same mire with no real prospect of getting out of it.

In other words, as long as you remain in this division it's all much of a muchness regardless of where you finish at the end of a season.

(By the way, how do you get to know anything 'for certain' when it comes to all this?)

Again you persist with this statement -If you continully finish near the bottom of the league the better players will not join you, that is for certain- Players like Wellens, Gregan, Ricketts only joined us because the attitide was right when they were approached to join, each of those players could have joined another club for more money.. but these teams didnt have the collective attitude and aspirations at that time.

The club is NOT stuck in exactly the same mire has you said, each season things become easier and experices are learnt..

Shez left the club, like Moore because the attitude of the management changed or infact wouldnt changed when the experinces wouldnt been learnt...

The club know exactly were it needs to be for promotion, its just gathering the ingredients needs to make the success that is proving difficult.

Scunny are very similar to ourselves but they have a managemnt team that has been settled at the club and all pull the same way, Penney IMO will give the club that same stabilty

In regards to what I know for certain ! I'm lucky enough to be one of the first fans to have met penney and had a chat with him about things from last season and what frustrated fans ..... he reponse to me showed that he will not take half of the crap we the fans will take, you dont do your job, there is somebody out there that will !!!

Gregans wouldnt havent done well under Penney - I wonder why he wasnt kept on even though Big Joe recommended him ?

No player should think he is bigger than the club or his manager, we have had too many players over the last 4 years who have thought this and along with a weak management team, this is where dressing rooms are lost and respect is thrown out of the window

You're not allowed to use that word, LL will moan.

I have the enthusiasm and enterprise to use any words I wish !!! (As long as they dont conflict with the MB terms and conditions) :wink:

'The club is NOT stuck in exactly the same mire has you said, each season things become easier and experices are learnt.. '

This is one of the strangest statements I've ever read on here. We are by definition in the same mire when you consider that we are exactly where we were twelve years ago with no apparent strategy for progressing. Appointing another manager who sounds like he knows what he's talking about-and I share that opinion of him-and a good record doesn't amount to any kind of strategy; Warnock was exactly the same (he actually had a better record despite a reputation for unattractive football), and similar things have been said about every manager who has been brought in. What exactly has been learnt?

Similarly: 'The club know exactly were it needs to be for promotion, its just gathering the ingredients needs to make the success that is proving difficult.'

We all know exactly where we need to be for promotion. We need to be either first or second on the last day of the season, or at least one goal up when the final whistle blows in the play-off final. The 'ingredients' for achieving this, however, seem to change with the wind: tear up another playing squad here, sack another manager there and then repeat the process. It'll all be financed by the stadium redevelopment, but not yet (not for a very long time, actually, if ever), so in the meantime we'll replace quality with endeavour and hope for the best.

As I said, I'd like to rejoin the believers, but it's proving difficult.

Edited by Ackey
Quote fixed

No, i'm not just referring to the players. I'm talking about the overall situation on and off the pitch last season - which has been discussed over and over and doesn't need delving into again.

I'm talking about the desire and hunger to play for the manager and the club, which many had seemed to have lost.

Although i'm fairly sure you know which hunger I was talking about - nowt to do with crisps or lager

Without the quality you may not achieve promotion - without the respect of the manager/teamates you'd achieve even less.

DP will bring respect and discipline back into the team and hopefully assemble a band of players pulling in the same direction.

i know this kind of thought pattern is not generally your thing corp, but maybe, just maybe, there are fans who would feel much better should this happen