Police Violence

Ackey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/8101763.stm

Back during the protest shenanigans the press were all over the guy who died as a result of being pushed over by the police during a high pressure situation. I defended their actions and still would.

The above however is totally different, but backs up my argument (and that of several others) that response to the incident then was the result of negligent/irresponsible media coverage and not the result of the actions taken by police.

This guy gets his head kicked in and I've barely seen a drop about it.

Just seen this on the telly, I'm sure the footage doesn't tell the whole story - but it looks excessive at first view.

Indeed, I doubt it does too. One Cop had to have hospital treatment so it's possible this guy's already laid into him and after being tazered twice he's still kicking out.

My point is that this will get less media coverage than a guy who was pushed over simply because the media don't have a horse to flog this time.

Perhaps a tad OTT - saying that - if he'd have calmed and conformed when asked, there'd have been no need for further restraint.

When will people learn pissed or not, once you're being restrained by the police you're highly unlikely to get out of it and even less likely to escape - go with the flow!!

I can't get the tape at home, so I can't comment on the content of this one just now. There is so so so much difference however in how the police deal with pissed up people who give trouble compared to how they deal with people making a political protest. The only difference I can see between what the Iranian police and secret police are doing in Tehran and what took place in London this year is that the UK police are better organised whilst facing virtually no real physical threat.

This is one of those things where I think the original post has summed it up- media coverage. Someone with a camera phone films a bloke getting tasered once and because he's still lashing out and struggling they taser him again. (Its amazing how certain substances can make you have 'superhuman' powers of pain control). The only difference with this incident and all those thousands of similar incidents which happen round the country on an annual basis and are filmed (usually by CCTV) is this one has some taser action. Tasers have a purpose in society and I would much rather they used tasers than rubber bullets (I've actually heard a story about a taser being beneficial to a bloke who had some mental health issues).

I don't like the phrase 'hospital treatment' though as any one who assaults a copper probably requires the copper to go to hospital- even for a cursory x-ray. Stitches are not major things but require 'hospital treatment' (certainly when GPs are shut) and unlike the general public a copper won't have to wait all that long to have a few stitches in a head wound.

These days its very hard for the coppers to do this sort of thing without being filmed (100% of new mobile phones sold today have a camera- even if it doesn't get used). I don't know the guidelines about use of tasers or excessive force but I would much rather the coppers be struggling with the man than have the man free because the coppers were frightened of using excessive force. We shall see if anything comes from it- I get the impression that the man concerned hasn't made a formal complaint and the footage has got out because someone sent it to a media organisation (with possibly some money changing hands).

This is one of those things where I think the original post has summed it up- media coverage. Someone with a camera phone films a bloke getting tasered once and because he's still lashing out and struggling they taser him again. (Its amazing how certain substances can make you have 'superhuman' powers of pain control). The only difference with this incident and all those thousands of similar incidents which happen round the country on an annual basis and are filmed (usually by CCTV) is this one has some taser action. Tasers have a purpose in society and I would much rather they used tasers than rubber bullets (I've actually heard a story about a taser being beneficial to a bloke who had some mental health issues).

I don't like the phrase 'hospital treatment' though as any one who assaults a copper probably requires the copper to go to hospital- even for a cursory x-ray. Stitches are not major things but require 'hospital treatment' (certainly when GPs are shut) and unlike the general public a copper won't have to wait all that long to have a few stitches in a head wound.

These days its very hard for the coppers to do this sort of thing without being filmed (100% of new mobile phones sold today have a camera- even if it doesn't get used). I don't know the guidelines about use of tasers or excessive force but I would much rather the coppers be struggling with the man than have the man free because the coppers were frightened of using excessive force. We shall see if anything comes from it- I get the impression that the man concerned hasn't made a formal complaint and the footage has got out because someone sent it to a media organisation (with possibly some money changing hands).

...key words, excessive and minimum force. Whilst minimum force is the amount of force needed to achieve the objective, who determins excessive force? IMO normally do gooders and the media on the hunt for a story. Even the most evil of people know, if you dance with a copper, his mates will do the fandango all over you......which I 100% support. The message is, go quietly, or in the words of several comedians 'ouch officer, stop hitting me'.

This bloke struggling and scrapping with the coppers wouldn't think twice about smacking you in the chops if you bumped into him.

Speaking about it with a lad at work and between us we reckoned there must be thousands of people staggering home worse for the drink every weekend who aren't getting tasered by the police. Him getting done probably saved some other sod getting a beating.

It's about time these Pigs were made an example of. Some of them really do disgust me. They are there to do a job and be professional - no matter what they are faced with.

Edited by Yard Dog

It's about time these Pigs were made an example of. Some of them really do disgust me. They are there to do a job and be professional - no matter what they are faced with.

I think some police do fall well before the standards that they should maintain although I think your message is a little harsh. Living in the real world we all know that there can be cases in life where violence is not only an option, but a total necessity, and the police come across those situations more often than most, but we are entitled to expect that they will use it as and when appropriate. I hear what RBL is saying about the fact that the bloke might/may already have kicked off with people. So, arrest him and charge him with whatever you can show he has done. If there is fair cause to arrest him, then I have no issue with using whatever level of force is needed to prevent him escaping, and I seriously mean whatever level of force.

What isn't right is the idea that they had it coming to them, and they must have done because it was the police that did it. Punishment is not for the Police to give out, they are servants, not judges, not a jury. If I as a passer by decide someone is being a bit lairy and kick the :censored: out of him, I go to jail. A policeman is not some magic figure above the law. If policemen are beating people in anger rather than in the course of their duties then that is assault.

couldnt have said it better myself

cant say to much at the minute but ive got an ongoing 'situation' with GMP, CICA and the IPCC

I am living proof that there is a 'policeman' working out of Oldham who is an incompatant :censored:

and believe me i am in the process of making an example of him :laught16:

he picked on the wrong person with me :laught16:

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who calls them pigs and gives it the big I AM in front of them deserves a truncheon round their heads to knock some fecking sense into them.

Sorry Officer, but I could think of far stronger words to use for aggressive thugs like those.

just to say the 'situation' i am in is not because of me behaving like a :censored: with the police - its the other way around :wink:

and i agree if you balloon it with the police then you deserve a truncheon around your head - if i was a copper i would use it

Sorry Officer, but I could think of far stronger words to use for aggressive thugs like those.

:grin:

There are plenty of coppers out there who, er, enjoy the physical side of the job a bit too much.

However, I don't think this is an obvious brutality case. Sometimes the minimum necessary force to nullify the threat from someone can be pretty bloody brutal.