Latics Sign Gregan Back

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wasn't reading some of this, I really wouldn't believe it (you couldn't make it up its so ludicrous).

So in conclusion Eardley is brilliant when Gregan doesn't play and crap when Gregan does play.

I've never heard such :censored:e in my life.

Here's a thought, the quality of Eardley's performance is probably down to his own actions during the game rather than anyone else's.

Get a grip.

By the way, another possibility for our back four next season could be:-

Eardley, AN Other, Gregan, Jacobsen

with Hazell on the bench as cover, just a thought like.

welcome back greegs

not been the same without you

onwards and upwards

what you mean not been the same without you???

we havent even played a game so how can you make a pointless stupid post like that, im not a gregan fan but im going to let him do his talking on the pitch

gregan got alot of MOM wins last season near the end when the team went down hill as simple as that not because he was a world beater

think gregan coming back is 50/50 in oldham fans

so lets get more signings in to cheers the moaners up :grin: ME NOW

Just watched his interview on LW - he seems a bit disturbed by his recent experience - time will tell if being out of contract has a lasting effect on his attitude on and off the pitch.

He did say that Penney called him Tuesday afternoon to come to BP for a discussion - I wonder if Hughes was at the club for the same type of discussion?

Just watched his interview on LW - he seems a bit disturbed by his recent experience - time will tell if being out of contract has a lasting effect on his attitude on and off the pitch.

He did say that Penney called him Tuesday afternoon to come to BP for a discussion - I wonder if Hughes was at the club for the same type of discussion?

I thought exactly the same thing after I'd seen Gregan's interview.

Penney better have his balls in a vice on his return and warn him that his bullying, blamelessness and boozing are a thing of the past. Or else you guys will see Branston Mark II and will really have this post rammed down your throats as we battle for our lives at the wrong end!

Can we have a, "post bookmarked," emoticon please?

Incidentally, exaggerating for effect is one thing, but to compare one of the best defenders we have had in the last decade with one of the worst is pretty absurb.

I'm undecided.

On one hand a fitter, motivated Sean Gregan has the potential to be a top asset to a club like ours, especially if he's taken a pay cut. He played very well in games towards the back end of last season, but was that just to win a new contract? Having gotten rid of Allott and Maher might be better from him. Allott, although had a lot of heart and desire very rarely won his tackles and was not the best at linking up play, thus leading Gregan to hoofing the ball forward (see Tranmere at home), Maher's inability to play the ball anything but sideways or backwards and his distinct lack of pace. Hopefully Worthington can provide the protection from Midfield for our defence this season and we can sign another central midfield player who can not only create but defend as well (that rules out Whittaker). A commanding GK and a pacey centre halve wouldn't go a miss.

On the other hand, if we can't find players to hide Gregan's weakness's (and he does have them) then we could find ourselves with a leaky back line again. As it stands, I don't think its enough. If we can bring in Trotman and Furman then I might be a little more convinced.

Fleming

Eardley Gregan Hazell Jacobson

Smalley Worthington Prudie/Whittaker Taylor

Allesandra O'Grady

As it stands barely a mid-table side.

Fleming

Eardley Gregan Trotman/Hazzell Jacobson

Smalley Worthington Furman Taylor

Abbott Clarke

This side would fill me with a lot more confidence.

So please DP, go and make some more signings and show us all that you do indeed have 'master plan'. As it stands at the moment, looking in, it seems we barley have a plan.

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE give the players and manager a chance..........

This is ridiculous.... A right in the head and fit Sean is as good as anyone in the division...PERHAPS the chasening experience of being out of work will be what Sean needed.. I will predict more man of match awards than anyone in team.

Awaits negative crap............

I'm sorry but this is different to the usual ranting people do over new signings, we know everything this is to know about Sean Gregan as a player, we were forced to watch Captain Blameless last season and at 35 he isn't going to get any better and cosidering how he finished last season thats a huge worry.

I've heard many positive things that Sean has done in the off season to correct the fitness issues he had at Latics. I'm impressed by them.

However if he's to continue his aimless hoofs or to blame youth players for mistakes he himself has made then I'll be disapointed with this signing.

Either way he has his chance to prove himself.

Well what a surprise COCO you dont agree.........

DP>>>>>>>> He has impressed me with his attitude and fitness levels.”

Royle, who took over from Sheridan for the last nine games of the season, had recommended that Gregan be offered a new contract after a string of impressive performances.

However, he was still one of a clutch of players to be released.

It is understood that Gregan, who joined Athletic from Leeds United in October 2006 and has so far made 82 appearances for the club, was the highest-earning player on the staff and that had a bearing on the decision.

THEN

Gregan was highly-rated by former boss Joe Royle, who awarded him man of the match status in all but one of his games in charge.

"It's no secret that I never wanted to leave here and it's been a whirlwind with everything happening so quickly. I'm delighted."

I don't give a rats ass what they say, myself and others on here saw more than enough of Sean Gregan last season to form our own opinions on his supposed talents.

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE give the players and manager a chance..........

This is ridiculous.... A right in the head and fit Sean is as good as anyone in the division...PERHAPS the chasening experience of being out of work will be what Sean needed.. I will predict more man of match awards than anyone in team.

Awaits negative crap............

Nothing negative from me. agree 100%.

I don't give a rats ass what they say, myself and others on here saw more than enough of Sean Gregan last season to form our own opinions on his supposed talents.

i dread to think what you thought of the rest of the team, the majority of whom were far worse than Gregan :shock:

we will just have to wait and see now wont we...im sure everything pre season will be nicey nicey...

however when things get tough i hope the same mistakes as previous seasons are not repeated...

there is no doubt on his day greagan is head and shoulders above most defenders in this league,but were pushing for promotion with a squad capable of playing higher level football...and he doesnt cut it now for that level.

plus it will be the same keeper,and 3 of the same defenders that shipped goals for fun last season...yes we can point to midfield and there inability to stop balls coming through....but that doesnt cut it....the buck stops with the defence and the keeper,and last season they were woeful....

i can understand why people may be happy at him re-signing but i and the others who are not happy just see this as a massive step back. i know his wages were a big factor in his departure he was probably on 5K (guess) and now im guessin he will be on maybe 1.5K at the max. i think the fact that no one else (even shez at chesterfield) wanted him says everything.

i could understand people being pissed off with us "moaners" if he was someone compleatly new but like Senor_Coconut said we already know everything that there is to know about him and we pay our hard earned cash to watch the latics as well so we are entitled to our opinion

i personaly think people should take off their rose tinted glasses and admit for the majority of games last year he was awful

majority of games last year he was awful

No disagree he was one of our better perfomers last season and awful would be the wrong word at times he was give the run around and will be again by anyone with pace. However like you I have my concerns on this its hardly a step forward bringing him back and at 35 his powers are receeding plus is he going to go through the whole season injury free my guess is no given his age. I hope that we are signing more defenders because currently we are still weak in that area.

On the other hand, if we can't find players to hide Gregan's weakness's (and he does have them) then we could find ourselves with a leaky back line again. As it stands, I don't think its enough. If we can bring in Trotman and Furman then I might be a little more convinced.

Why should we be looking at players to cover his weaknesses?

Why should we be looking at players to cover his weaknesses?

Because we are a tinpot third division club who can't fill 3 stands, half the fans are moaning old gits who have forgotten that going to the match is supposed to be fun or angry young men who have nothing else in their lives and think that a full back miscontrolling a stray pass is a worse crime than killing upwards of 6 million people and that said young fullback deserves to be pillared from now on until he signs for another club.

If we could sign Cannavaro then we would do, things as they are we can't sign a can of pop and to play along side that Gregan is more than good enough.

He will have some bad games, he will drop some right clangers, we will probably lose about 5 games at home next season. The world will keep turning.

Edited by beag_teeets

Damn it, we are also going to need some players to cover Hazell, Eardley and probably Jacobsen's weaknesses as well.

When will it ever end?

It will end when we get a leader who can organise the back four and Gregan is not that man.

He will have some bad games, he will drop some right clangers, we will probably lose about 5 games at home next season. The world will keep turning.

Said it before, I will always accept players at this level making mistakes. That's the life of a third division football fan. What I can't accept is the berating of his fellow players for his own mistakes. Players who he's supposed to be leading.

Said it before, I will always accept players at this level making mistakes. That's the life of a third division football fan. What I can't accept is the berating of his fellow players for his own mistakes. Players who he's supposed to be leading.

Perhaps that was his mistake...the berating i mean. Didn't do much else wrong on the pitch.