Latics Sign Gregan Back

THE BUCK STOPS AT THE BACK FOUR AND KEEPER!!!!! - who said that????

and I suppose the blame rests with only the centre forward if we are not scoring goals

DP has moved quickly to address one of last seasons biggest weakness - no enforcer in midfield -wether you agree with his choice of players or not he clearly saw one of our major problems.

Now let worthington and Purdie boss the middle and give Gregan the chance to perform at centre back -to the standard that we all know he can

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will end when we get a leader who can organise the back four and Gregan is not that man.

No it won't end there, we are in the 3rd division and haven't got a pot to piss in.

The best we can hope for is out of contract free transfers from other clubs of a similar ilk (like Hazell and Jacobsen).

Gregan is as good as we can afford at this point in time, he's not perfect but then again he does far more good things than you will ever allow yourself to admit.

Every player we can afford will make mistakes, even players we can't afford make mistakes.

there is no doubt on his day greagan is head and shoulders above most defenders in this league,but were pushing for promotion with a squad capable of playing higher level football...and he doesnt cut it now for that level.

This makes me laugh.

He's been offered a 1 year deal - same as Allott.

What we are trying to build is a squad capable of getting up up and out of this league. If we don't do it this season Gregan will be released. If we DO do it this season then he'll definitely get released. Frankly we can barely afford a squad full of players who can play well enough to get us out of this league at the minute, let alone a squad capable of playing at a higher level.

Gregan is as good as we can afford at this point in time, he's not perfect but then again he does far more good things than you will ever allow yourself to admit.

He's just not that good. In a 5 yard circle around his fat arse, he does ok, just so long as he doesn't have to challenge a forward of similar size and strength in the air when he invariably loses because he doesn't jump.

How many times have you seen Hazell for example cover ground for Gregan's lack of pace. I would say a number of occasions last year. Similarly, a few occasions when Jones did likewise. I can berate a player for his own mistakes, but I can't compound it when he tries to pull his captain of the :censored:.

Gregan offers several uncontested headers per game as well as a few well-timed tackles and a couple of accurate long ball clearances. Nothing more. Whereas, his failings are far more not only because he is past it (as per my opinion) but also as Ackey points out, his undermining of other members of the team who require leadership.

Edited by mikejh45

This 'doom and gloom' is very boring from the likes of Coco, and i'm sure he loves the attention he gets from some members on this board.

It's an alternative viewpoint, innit. Can't see much wrong with it.

He's just not that good. In a 5 yard circle around his fat arse, he does ok, just so long as he doesn't have to challenge a forward of similar size and strength in the air when he invariably loses because he doesn't jump.

What a pile of arse. Sure he finds it hard against a big brick :censored:house forward, that's why teams like having one. Whoever is playing at the back if you have a big unit up front and go long to him you would slag him off to high heaven if he wasn't able to ruffle the defence up. Gregan has had a couple of battles this year but he has dominated the vast majority of aerial contests to the degree that the other guy quickly figures out he doesn't want to be there when Gregan arrives. Contrast that to Hazell, who although very good on his day is vulnerable to men backing into him.

Though he has bossed a few bigger than him = Jermaine Beckford where are you?

How many times have you seen Hazell for example cover ground for Gregan's lack of pace.

Yes we know he's not fast. If he was he'd still be playing a t higher level. The back four have to work together , complementing and carrying each other. Your criticism is akin to saying that Gregan has to win balls in the air because others can't !

his undermining of other members of the team who require leadership.

this is a line that keeps being mentioned by a few. Where's the evidence that it means that teammmates don't want him? where's the evidence that Royle or Penney think this is a problem?

Edited by LaticsPete

quote name='mikejh45' date='Jun 25 2009, 15:10 PM' post='272751']

Jeez, its impossible to ever make any progress with you, you are talking out of your arse again. He loses very few headers as the majority of people on here have recognised (apart from you).

How many times have you seen Hazell for example cover ground for Gregan's lack of pace. I would say a number of occasions last year. Similarly, a few occasions when Jones did likewise. I can berate a player for his own mistakes, but I can't compound it when he tries to pull his captain of the :censored:.

What I have highlighted in red doesn't make any sense atall.

I have never seen Hazell cover ground for Gregan's lack of pace he is usually too busy trying to cover his own calamitous inadequacies and giving nearly a goal a game away (Colchester home, Millwall away, Yeovil away).

Jones was one of the worse defenders I have ever seen at the club (great going forward) but consistently out of position at the back and Gregan having to cover for him.

Gregan offers several uncontested headers per game as well as a few well-timed tackles and a couple of accurate long ball clearances. Nothing more. Whereas, his failings are far more not only because he is past it (as per my opinion) but also as Ackey points out, his undermining of other members of the team who require leadership.

Yeah right, I've never heard as much nonsense in my life, vast majority of people on this thread rate him and are glad he's back and these are Latics fans who watch the game. You need to take a wider view and see the bigger picture, you are so bitter and twisted in trying to prove (unsuccessfully) that Gregan is crap, watch the whole game instead of ruining you're whole Latics watching experience by trying to see any minor slip or error that Gregan might make.

Sheridan rated him, Royle rated him, Penney rates him but you don't, hmmmmmmmmm let me think about that, done no contest.

All his MoM's from last season should be shouting to you that you are wrong.MoM Polls

uncontested headers :lol: So now your saying anythig he was good at was because the other team wasn't putting the effort in?

And now he isn't a decent passer of the ball who found his target more than most because really they were all long ball clearances?

why are people turning on hazzel? dont forget he was the first player out of many that were out of contract near the end of last season and he signed a new one without stalling or holding out to see if anyone else made an offer. in my eyes that shows that he is commited to the cause and wants to play for the latics

i'd have Ruben over gregan any day of the week and i saw him covering for the training cone on numerous accasions last season

FFS even im not complaining at having him back whats the harm on reduced terms, i still think we will get another centre half in then we will be in a better position than last year!!!

We all know how solid Gregan is at most times no better centre half in the league, hes lost weight got fit.....

I for one am happy with this i dint want him to leave and it was probably a good thing he did as we have now got him back on reduced terms if we would have offered him new deal i guarantee he would be on more than he is now

i'd have Ruben over gregan any day of the week and i saw him covering for the training cone on numerous accasions last season

Isn't that normal for centre-backs? :unsure: Gregan is the one more likely to go to the ball so Reuben covers him.

why are people turning on hazzel? dont forget he was the first player out of many that were out of contract near the end of last season and he signed a new one without stalling or holding out to see if anyone else made an offer. in my eyes that shows that he is commited to the cause and wants to play for the latics

Damn it, we are also going to need some players to cover Hazell, Eardley and probably Jacobsen's weaknesses as well.

When will it ever end?

Maybe we should write to the FA and explain that a group of our supporters aren't happy with not having league class players and ask if we can have two GK's, 4 CB's, 2 full backs on each side, one for defending, one for going forward, 4 C/Mids, 4 wingers, and then 4 forwards...

Maybe THEN these people will have less to moan about our club and maybe whinge on more important stuff, like how we have Wimbledon but haven't had a decent tennis player for donkeys years....

The people who are constantly whining along the lines of "We need a defender who is great in the air, can turn with pace and keep up with strikers who have the indecency to break our defensive line is our priority" need to wake up.

99 times out of 100 these players are no secret to other teams and will either choose the club playing at the highest level, or offering more money, financial security is key to ANY job, and football is no different, especially in this current climate.

So with us being in the 3rd tier of the football league with recent season ticket sales in the region of 3000-4000 and attendances not far off apart from the big games or if there's an offer where its a quid entrance for kids, then we don't have much chance of attracting these great players to our club once a bigger/richer club comes in as well.

Instead of whinging why not try be a supporter and support who we've got and who we get?!

This makes me laugh.

He's been offered a 1 year deal - same as Allott.

What we are trying to build is a squad capable of getting up up and out of this league. If we don't do it this season Gregan will be released. If we DO do it this season then he'll definitely get released. Frankly we can barely afford a squad full of players who can play well enough to get us out of this league at the minute, let alone a squad capable of playing at a higher level.

I'd love this to be true, but I don't think we are. Last season, Sheridan will have been told to get us promoted. I very much doubt Penney has been told to do the same.

Our squad is average, and definitely not up there with at least 6/7 other clubs.

Thankfully, we've cleared some aging has-beens, so we're onto the next building side. It was built up from Ronnie Moore, which originally wasn't good enough for promotion, passed onto Shez, then between Joe and Penney they got rid of most of them, so now Penney has to start again.

As for Gregan, he's amongst the has-beens. He's been fantastic, but he's got to a point where he hack even the pace of league 1. Last season we were constantly cut apart by clever passers passing to the faster strikers, so I'm disappointed that after Zesh Rehman, Penney's given up and gone for the Gregan option (I'm not buying into the "I never doubted his ability" line he came out with).

As far as I'm concerned, the signings so far suggest we don't stand a very good chance of promotion. I hope its not to be though...

Just had a look at the comments at the bottom of the Chron article... and for once OLDHAM SCOTLAND's post doesnt seem to be the most stupid...

I have to take it that the re-signing of Gregan, no one else is dAft enough to sign for us, after seeing the shambolic management who can blame them. Looks like Burnley next season, the tts are just killing this club.

By Magsie28 @ 25/06/2009 15:18:14

Report this comment (8178)

If we are playing Burnley next season I for one would be very very happy!

Maybe we should write to the FA and explain that a group of our supporters aren't happy with not having league class players and ask if we can have two GK's, 4 CB's, 2 full backs on each side, one for defending, one for going forward, 4 C/Mids, 4 wingers, and then 4 forwards...

Maybe THEN these people will have less to moan about our club and maybe whinge on more important stuff, like how we have Wimbledon but haven't had a decent tennis player for donkeys years....

The people who are constantly whining along the lines of "We need a defender who is great in the air, can turn with pace and keep up with strikers who have the indecency to break our defensive line is our priority" need to wake up.

99 times out of 100 these players are no secret to other teams and will either choose the club playing at the highest level, or offering more money, financial security is key to ANY job, and football is no different, especially in this current climate.

So with us being in the 3rd tier of the football league with recent season ticket sales in the region of 3000-4000 and attendances not far off apart from the big games or if there's an offer where its a quid entrance for kids, then we don't have much chance of attracting these great players to our club once a bigger/richer club comes in as well.

Instead of whinging why not try be a supporter and support who we've got and who we get?!

If this outburst is directed at me then you need to go back and re-read the thread again (more carefully).

I was not whinging as you put it but defending Sean Gregan against some uninformed criticism and as for being a supporter I've been supporting the club for 38 years (most of those as a season ticket holder) so your comments are very misdirected on every count.

I don't give a rats ass what they say, myself and others on here saw more than enough of Sean Gregan last season to form our own opinions on his supposed talents.

Forming opinions on players' actual performances? Enough of this craziness! :shock:

(FWIW, entirely agree, it's just that I suspect the opinion I've formed is somewhat different to yours matey :wink: )

Because we are a tinpot third division club who can't fill 3 stands, half the fans are moaning old gits who have forgotten that going to the match is supposed to be fun or angry young men who have nothing else in their lives and think that a full back miscontrolling a stray pass is a worse crime than killing upwards of 6 million people and that said young fullback deserves to be pillared from now on until he signs for another club.

If we could sign Cannavaro then we would do, things as they are we can't sign a can of pop and to play along side that Gregan is more than good enough.

He will have some bad games, he will drop some right clangers, we will probably lose about 5 games at home next season. The world will keep turning.

Amen brother ... What the effing hell is wrong with you lot we have had some truly awful centre half's.. awful and Greegs is NOT one but a Preston Mile .. I seem to remember we had a young tough tackling commanding defender who you could not turn for pace .. What happened .. oh yeh we sold him ... half a million quid ..... I have never known as many people turning coats and switching opinion to piss off a few people on here.. for the love of god he should have been offered a contract .. we have him now .. tesco value Gregan .. how on earth people can moan ... Maybe were saving up for Furman ... the big picture