Glastonbury 2009

Matt

Fair enough, but surely popularity and prowess are related in almost any entertainment business?

It's slightly linked, but certainly not enough to base on an opinion on how good, relevant or influential they are. As it goes I understand AC/DC are fairly influential in their own right; many a rock band will tell you that, but I don't think they're as good as everyone makes out myself.

Coldplay, Keane and Snow Patrol are all massively successful at making and selling records, but are as boring and bland as bands come. So a benchmark of records sold should mean very little in a debate convinicing someone else that they're an amazing band.

Incidentally, has anyone heard Celine Dion and Anastasia's version of "You Shook Me All Night Long"? :lol:

No, but I've heard Arab Strap's version and it's absolutely bloody brilliant.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's slightly linked, but certainly not enough to base on an opinion on how good, relevant or influential they are. As it goes I understand AC/DC are fairly influential in their own right; many a rock band will tell you that, but I don't think they're as good as everyone makes out myself.

Coldplay, Keane and Snow Patrol are all massively successful at making and selling records, but are as boring and bland as bands come. So a benchmark of records sold should mean very little in a debate convinicing someone else that they're an amazing band.

Agree on the second paragraph - although I have no idea who 'Snow Patrol' are. I would bet that Back in Black alone has out-sold these 3 bands put together though. Then there's their 17 other albums.....

Record sales are more than 'slightly linked' to musical prowess. Sales are determined by that and marketing alone.....and seeing as AC/DC dont even really release singles it can hardly be put down to the latter.

Also, sales form a better basis for general opinion than, erm, ones personal opinion.....after all, it is a representation of the opinion of the masses. That album has sold more copies than there is Englishmen FFS!

Edited by Stitch_KTF

No, but I've heard Arab Strap's version and it's absolutely bloody brilliant.

I'm not sure that anyone who has been seeing them needs convincing, whilst those who haven't seen them cannot therefore form an informed opinion on how good/bad they are live.

One man's pleasure is another's poison so to speak, as for coldplay, Keane etc.....if they are still making popular selling (popular termed by numbers sold etc) records/albums in 20 years, then they will have earned any further/future plaudits.

You're right, just because they are one of the top selling bands of all time does not make them popular to all - - - - - But boy they do still rock live. :wink:

Why on earth do people associate the amounts an artist has sold to be a key indicator on how good a band is? It just points to popularity, not musical prowess. It's also a sign of someone desperate to prove a point.

AC/DC just do nothing for me, apart from dropping "You Shook Me All Night Long" to get a crowd going.

it does nowt for you,but it get everyone else going.

ditto me and neil young / bruce springsteen i suppose.

Definitely not a fan of Bruce Springsteen myself, but what I saw of his Glasto set was pretty bloody impressive.

Of the other bands this year, I saw Blur at Glastonbury in 1998 and was pretty impressed - although it was REM that tore it up that year (or was that the year after? Glastonbury is like the sixties after all - if you remember it you weren't really there...). Saw most of Blur's set on tv this year and was blown away - as some have said, probably their best gig ever.

But for sheer power and insanity, it has to be Prodigy. Just F*cking Immense!! No band should be that mental after nearly twenty years ... has anyone any idea how Keith is still alive?! :lol:

Agree on the second paragraph - although I have no idea who 'Snow Patrol' are. I would bet that Back in Black alone has out-sold these 3 bands put together though. Then there's their 17 other albums.....

Record sales are more than 'slightly linked' to musical prowess. Sales are determined by that and marketing alone.....and seeing as AC/DC dont even really release singles it can hardly be put down to the latter.

Back in Black is actually the 3rd best selling album of all time, behind Dark Side of The Moon and Thriller. If you have a look at the best selling albums of all time article on Wikipedia, the list of the albums selling over 20 million copies is chock full of :censored:e such as Backstreet Boys, Billy Ray Cyrus and Usher for example. Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette selling twice as much as Parallel Lines by Blondie? Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash being absolutely dwarfed by sales of Shania Twain's Come On Over? Mental.

It just irks me a bit when people debating about how good a band are just go down the "Well they've sold more" route, regardless of who the band in question is. A lot of album sales just hinge on how much radio play they get worldwide and how much exposure the record label is willing to plough behind the artist, apart from Dire Straits who are just included purely on how many taxi drivers bought Brothers In Arms.

Back in Black is actually the 3rd best selling album of all time, behind Dark Side of The Moon and Thriller. If you have a look at the best selling albums of all time article on Wikipedia, the list of the albums selling over 20 million copies is chock full of :censored:e such as Backstreet Boys, Billy Ray Cyrus and Usher for example. Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette selling twice as much as Parallel Lines by Blondie? Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash being absolutely dwarfed by sales of Shania Twain's Come On Over? Mental.

It just irks me a bit when people debating about how good a band are just go down the "Well they've sold more" route, regardless of who the band in question is. A lot of album sales just hinge on how much radio play they get worldwide and how much exposure the record label is willing to plough behind the artist, apart from Dire Straits who are just included purely on how many taxi drivers bought Brothers In Arms.

Just two names to tip the discussion even more in FMS' favour, (i don't want to do this) Westlife and Boyzone.......utter :censored:e. But popular in their own right I suppose.

You're very own link has it as (joint) second. :unsure:

To be fair to me/us, the 'look how many albums they've sold' card has only been played because they have THE biggest selling album of any band ever. It's not like I said, "Look Frankly, they have sold 4 million albums, they must be good". In this instance it's a worthwhile point.

If you ever get the opportunity to see them then do it. I was sceptical myself having always, ignorantly, had them down as some heavy metal act that wasn't for me. However I was assured I would enjoy it, and christ, I did! I knew I would though after being lent some albums and scoping youtube. :headbang:

Incidentally, your radio airplay point could be spun round the other way - they play what is popular......which happens to be the same music that sells well.

Apologies for 'Irking You' Franks.......Though i wasn't pushing the 'they've sold' routine - I was pointing out that the guitarist in question with the schoolboy outfit ...'what's his name again...... :wink: ' has done pretty well for a 'prat' (As somebody described him as!!)

A band is surely as good as the individual thinks they are and vice versa - horses for courses.......

Apologies for 'Irking You' Franks.......Though i wasn't pushing the 'they've sold' routine - I was pointing out that the guitarist in question with the schoolboy outfit ...'what's his name again...... :wink: ' has done pretty well for a 'prat' (As somebody described him as!!)

A band is surely as good as the individual thinks they are and vice versa - horses for courses.......

Oh most definitely. The "band sold well so they're really good" thing just gets on my nerves because people use it in football parlance too, like "Man City have the biggest floodlights in the land so they're massif!"

Like you say, each to ones own. Turn it up to eleven man.

That was me, by the way.

To be honest, I do like some of their stuff but preferred Bon Scott singing to the present singer who I find teeth-grating.

I just wonder (wrote "shake my head" at first) at a middle aged bloke dressed as a 1950's schoolboy, even if his axe-playing does kickass. Probably good mates with Jacko & Bubbles. Does anybody know why and how it first started?

wiki says..

"By this time('73-74), Angus Young had adopted his characteristic school uniform stage outfit. The original uniform was reputedly from his secondary school, Ashfield Boys High School in Sydney; the idea was his sister Margaret's. Angus had tried other costumes, such as Spider-Man, Zorro, a gorilla, and a parody of Superman, named Super-Ang. In fact in its early days, most members of the band dressed in some form of glam or satin outfit but this approach was abandoned when it was discovered Melbourne band Skyhooks had already adopted this approach to their stage presentation.

That was me, by the way.

To be honest, I do like some of their stuff but preferred Bon Scott singing to the present singer who I find teeth-grating.

I just wonder (wrote "shake my head" at first) at a middle aged bloke dressed as a 1950's schoolboy, even if his axe-playing does kickass. Probably good mates with Jacko & Bubbles. Does anybody know why and how it first started?

Bon Scott created the original DC sound i guess and probably like most if not all bands, the lead singer is rarely bettered. However I think Brian Johnson has certainly help bring them into 'now' - and live he was also very good - although never going to 'outdo' the 'schoolboy'.

As for Angus, the more the evening wore on, the more he resembled Gollum from Tolkien's little number :grin:

Anyway....Back to Glastonbury.............

If you like loud then you ought to attend an AC/DC gig. :omg: You will probably lose all enthusiasm for any other gig mind, that's the price I have paid.

:headbang:

My Bloody Valentine were the loudest I've ever heard - lost me hearing for a week. Big up for the Latics Rude Bwoy showing the flag during the Specials. Couldn't help but do some running on the spot. Top Tunes!