Smalley to Norwich?

My mate down in Norwich is saying they have put in a 100k bid for dean smalley. Not sure how true this story is? I've not seen any reports of this up north so far.

lee croft has left so there short in that department....depends how penny rates him and if we need the money...

although 100k sounds a bit cheap really,considering sheffield enquired and we said 200k

As a replacement for Lee Croft presumably. But £100K is a derisory offer. Can't feel he's worth £500K but somewhere in between would tempt the club I think.

I think £300k would be a fair offer. I would rather keep him but we aren't exactly a rich club and I feel a decent offer would be accepted.

to be perfectly honest i wouldnt be bothered to see him go as long as we brought someone better in to replace him

With respect, I don't think that's a rocket science insight. Any player who is better than one he replaces is generally a good deal.

The challenge is in achieving that.

Edited by LaticsPete

Cloud cuckoo land these figures of £300 - 500K!!! He's proved nothing yet......... just un-doubted potential and nothing more.

For what it's worth, I would hang onto him for while, he's worth more than £100K to us as he might turn out to be great yet and we can cash in on him in a few years.

I work with someone who's known Deane since he was a nipper. I asked on monday about the Blackpool rumour and was told no club had made a bid for him, but there were a few interested. (both sheffield clubs, and a couple in scotland)

Cloud cuckoo land these figures of £300 - 500K!!! He's proved nothing yet......... just un-doubted potential and nothing more.

For what it's worth, I would hang onto him for while, he's worth more than £100K to us as he might turn out to be great yet and we can cash in on him in a few years.

Thats where the price comes from, either recognised ability or potential. Smalley is a big bag of potential, if he continues improving at the rate he is doing then £100k will buy you an arm.

Neil Trotman - sold for £500k after 20 1st team games. £300k isnt unrealistic for someone thats played 50+ first team games for us.

Also, its not that expensive if they sell him on a year a two later for two or three times the amount they paid for him.

£300 - 500k isnt much for a club like Norwich.

Edited by daniel8157

Neil Trotman - sold for £500k after 20 1st team games. £300k isnt unrealistic for someone thats played 50+ first team games for us.

Also, its not that expensive if they sell him on a year a two later for two or three times the amount they paid for him.

£300 - 500k isnt much for a club like Norwich.

Yes but there was a big difference with Trotman, it was clear he was/is a great player, hence why a bigger club snapped him up so quickly.

That's what gets me about the figures quoted on here and how good we think some of our younger players are..... if they were so good they would never get to play 50 or 100+ times for us as they would be snapped up pretty quickly. That's one of the reasons I beleive that Eardley and Smalley are not as good as we think, they would have gone long ago if they really were so good.

I guess you could lump Taylor in to that arguement as well, though I beleive that he really is a player with genuine potential out of our youngsters.

Tell them to times it by 5 before we stop laughing and it may be a starting point for negotiations.

£500k as a starting point for Dean Smalley? That would start me laughing.

£100-200k is my thoughts on any realistic fee we would receive for him. First of all, Oldham are generally really poor at getting good prices for players, and secondly, Oldham fans are generally really good at having very high expectations on our players valuations.

£500k as a starting point for Dean Smalley? That would start me laughing.

£100-200k is my thoughts on any realistic fee we would receive for him. First of all, Oldham are generally really poor at getting good prices for players, and secondly, Oldham fans are generally really good at having very high expectations on our players valuations.

Thought we'd nailed this untruth a few weeks ago. Other than in the C Moore fire sale, who have we let go for a lesser fee than we should have? A "really poor" one?

If anyone offered £100k for Smalley, I'd snap their hands off. He is gash.

Smalley has the potential to play in the championship if he continues to make progress but I've got my doubts that he ever will!!!

He's certainly not gash and has natural pace and a fair bit of technical ability but it's upstairs where I think he's lacking...ie. knowing when to hold and when to pass.

£100,000 with add-ons is a fair price to pay purely for potential .

If the money would help us to secure the likes of Dean Furman and another striker then I would be happy to let him go!!!

Thought we'd nailed this untruth a few weeks ago. Other than in the C Moore fire sale, who have we let go for a lesser fee than we should have? A "really poor" one?

There's a difference between getting good prices, and not getting :censored: ones.

Who have we really got a good price for recently?