Alright folks,

As an avid Rangers fan for a few decades now, may I convey my disgust in our management deciding to let one of most promising players in years leave the club and join yourselves on a 2yrs deal. :ranting:

At the same time, I must congratulate you in landing a player who I have no doubt will be up there fighting for POTY next season. Dean Furman was NEVER given the chance to shine at Ibrox because of our Manager's reluctance to play young, up and coming players. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that Walter Smith left the club the last time, we would have lost Barry Ferguson. It was only the fact that Dick Advocaat came to the club that Ferguson was given his chance. Smith does not play youngsters simple as that. :disappointed:

We currently have another youngster at the club by the name of John Fleck. Older Oldham fans may remember his Uncle, Robert Fleck, who played with Norwich City in the 90's. I regard the two of them as the best prospects to play in Scotland in years. I fully expect Smith to sell him also, it's a crying shame. Fleck and Furman should have been at the centre of our plans for years to come.

Dean plays in central midfield, where Ferguson also plays. Hence the reason why he was never given his chance. He is skillful, direct, always wants the ball and always plays with his head up looking to spray the ball from one side of the park to the other. Plus he has been known to pitch in with plenty of goals in our league winning youth side.

With no disrespect intended to Oldham, you will do very well to hold onto him. Treat him well and enjoy him while you have him. Your side will be better with his inclusion. I wish Dean all the very best and hope he continues his progress with Oldham. He will be sadly missed and I will watch his development with great interest.

Craig Hunter. :grin:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds promising, although in all fairness this is probably a step up for him. :wink:

Just watched his Latics World interview.....is Dean actually South African or is he just posh, like?

South African pal. Signed for Chelsea, but couldn't break thru', obviously. Only played one game for us, but was captain of our youth side. I know that doesn't sound like much, but they won the league twice while he was there and numerous cups. Due to the fact that Smith wouldn't play him, he moved to Bradford last season scoring 4 in 30-odd games from central midfield. Just trust me, he's a cracker!

I post on here throughout the season to get your opinions on how he is progressing. Remember where you heard it first, I predict he'll get POTY in 2010! :Israel:

Just spotted that icon, by the way, he's Jewish too. How many Jewish geniuses do you know? Mel Brooks, Neil Diamond, Woody Allen, Barry Manilow, Dean Furman!!!!!!

Glad to hear from someone who agrees with me.

Fleck and Furman could've been Rangers' greats!

Pity, he'll be a star at Oldham, I promise!

This all sounds really, really promising BUT;

can we just reel in the plaudits a tad until we've all had chance to see him in at least 10 or so full 90min games?

I understand (& am pleased with signing myself too) why people are talking him up.....but think we need to put some perspective on it until we're a good number of appearances into the season....by then we'll see just how good this lad is!

Haha, are you Craig Hunter as in Ter?

Amazing on Football Manager. Sign him up, Corney!
The fact Craig likes Fleck and that he's amazing on Football Manager may be linked more closely than you think, if he's who I think he is! :D Edited by Simpo

Furman loved his time with City but wanted to perform regularly at a higher level - and McCall admitted he could not compete with the prospect of League One football.

McCall said: "I had a good long chat with Deano on Sunday and wished him all the best. He’s got a great future in the game because of his attitude and his ability.

"I’m sure if we’d managed to get promotion, he would still have been playing here.

"Deano wanted to play at a higher level. He’s gone there for genuine footballing reasons and not bundles of money.

"League One is a good division next year and he wants to challenge himself against good players.

"I’m naturally disappointed but I knew from the onset there would be clubs from higher divisions wanting to take him. Oldham are building a good squad and I told Dave Penney they’ve got themselves a good one there."

Greg Abbott’s Carlisle were also in the chase for Furman, who will cost Oldham £50,000 in compensation.

McCall added: "Deano gave us some great moments and he’s grateful that we gave him his chance. He was as disappointed as anyone we didn’t make the play-offs.

"But I will be on the phone to Rangers to recoup some of the money Oldham have paid. Because without playing here, he wouldn’t have gone for that!"

Haha, are you Craig Hunter as in Ter?

The fact Craig likes Fleck and that he's amazing on Football Manager may be linked more closely than you think, if he's who I think he is! :D

Ter = SI Forum mod? Is he the Rangers researcher as well?

Alright folks,

As an avid Rangers fan for a few decades now, may I convey my disgust in our management deciding to let one of most promising players in years leave the club and join yourselves on a 2yrs deal. :ranting:

At the same time, I must congratulate you in landing a player who I have no doubt will be up there fighting for POTY next season. Dean Furman was NEVER given the chance to shine at Ibrox because of our Manager's reluctance to play young, up and coming players. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that Walter Smith left the club the last time, we would have lost Barry Ferguson. It was only the fact that Dick Advocaat came to the club that Ferguson was given his chance. Smith does not play youngsters simple as that. :disappointed:

We currently have another youngster at the club by the name of John Fleck. Older Oldham fans may remember his Uncle, Robert Fleck, who played with Norwich City in the 90's. I regard the two of them as the best prospects to play in Scotland in years. I fully expect Smith to sell him also, it's a crying shame. Fleck and Furman should have been at the centre of our plans for years to come.

Dean plays in central midfield, where Ferguson also plays. Hence the reason why he was never given his chance. He is skillful, direct, always wants the ball and always plays with his head up looking to spray the ball from one side of the park to the other. Plus he has been known to pitch in with plenty of goals in our league winning youth side.

With no disrespect intended to Oldham, you will do very well to hold onto him. Treat him well and enjoy him while you have him. Your side will be better with his inclusion. I wish Dean all the very best and hope he continues his progress with Oldham. He will be sadly missed and I will watch his development with great interest.

Craig Hunter. :grin:

It's a 3 year deal mate, thanks for the heads up. After visiting some Rangers' message boards I'm surprised how many of your fans didn't want to see him sold and thought he had good potential, a few even said he could push through this season, add that to Bradford fans' reviews of him who thought he was the best midfielder in their division last season and match that with his Latics World interview in which he sounds very calm and down to earth, I think we've landed a gem, and if he is as good as we all hope he is then you're right, we'll do well to get those 3 years out of his contract.

South African pal. Signed for Chelsea, but couldn't break thru', obviously. Only played one game for us, but was captain of our youth side. I know that doesn't sound like much, but they won the league twice while he was there and numerous cups. Due to the fact that Smith wouldn't play him, he moved to Bradford last season scoring 4 in 30-odd games from central midfield. Just trust me, he's a cracker!

I post on here throughout the season to get your opinions on how he is progressing. Remember where you heard it first, I predict he'll get POTY in 2010! :Israel:

Just spotted that icon, by the way, he's Jewish too. How many Jewish geniuses do you know? Mel Brooks, Neil Diamond, Woody Allen, Barry Manilow, Dean Furman!!!!!!

The Ramones.

The 21-year-old has penned a three-year deal after the two clubs agreed a training compensation payment for the player in line with the FIFA solidarity mechanism.

Great capture...

Yeah, I just noticed that.

Wikipedia - "On June 29th 2009, Furman agreed a two-year contract with English League One side Oldham Athletic"

Rangers Website - http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1705535,00.html

Doesn't matter whether or not it's a 2 or 3yrs deal, I genuinely hope the lad does well for you, I'll be watching closely.

Good luck Dean and good luck to the Latics! :grin: