ifooty

Is there any truth in the rumour that the phone companies in Europe (O2 & T-Mob) are trying to get rid of the Skype app on iphones?

They did a while back (see here) but thought they'd given up on that now... maybe they've come up with a loophole to do it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got bored of Paper Toss.

You have unlimited 3G access, so if you use the radio app you will not be charged. However I've not tried that and if you dropped out of a 3G networked area then I'd guess you'd lose signal...

Nah you wouldnt... I have wunderadio, which essentially gives you access to any radio station in the world.. if you lose 3G it may have to 'buffer' a couple of times but it will still retain as long as you have mobile signal... its not perfect but you will still get signal...

They did a while back (see here) but thought they'd given up on that now... maybe they've come up with a loophole to do it.

Ok cheers Ste.

I've got a question for you as I know you're handy when it comes to the techhy stuff: do you know if O2 has an app that I can add to my US iphone? It might seem like a stupid question but I can explain why I want it if you want.

Ok cheers Ste.

I've got a question for you as I know you're handy when it comes to the techhy stuff: do you know if O2 has an app that I can add to my US iphone? It might seem like a stupid question but I can explain why I want it if you want.

Yes, and no.

It's a nightmare from what I remember (my mate did it the other way when moving to San Francisco), you'd have to have a UK iTunes account, which would have to be set up with a UK bank card and address (parents card, give them the money maybe?).

The only reason he got a US credit card was to allow him to use iTunes in the US in the end.

So it's doable but a pain, and I wouldn't be able to walk you through it, as they may well have thought about that by now.

Also be careful that if you plug it into a PC here it might auto-sync and wipe all your stuff off (happened to me and my iTouch in aforementioned San Fran!)

Got these two, both vital Apps for anyone.

hi mate is shazam free??

All these are free:

Darkslide - Photo management/Upload App that's compatible with Flickr

Facebook - Facebook :)

Twitterific - Twitter application, free, excellent.

TweetDeck - Second Twitter application, free, excellent. Better reader, but not as good for quick usage like Twitterific.

AudioBoo - Voice recorder which uploads and links into your Twitter stream.

9-Toolbox - 9 tools, some very valuable such as a converter, a level tool and tip calculator.

Flixster - Cinema listing app. Fantastic.

Urbanspoon - Restaurant listing. Excellent (works better in the USA than here though).

Epicurious - Recipe listing.

Mover - Lets you drag and drop from iPhone to iPhone via a wireless network.

TVU Player - TV on your iPhone. Not the best, but it could get good, so I've got it now incase they start charging for it :)

Linkedin - iPhone version of the website

xe Currency - currency converter based on live valuations.

TVGuide - TV guide

Sky News - decent news application, with built in news uploader if you happen to see something happening live.

Google - advance google searching and Laps applications

pic2shop - barcode reader (can't get this to be useful yet, but only had it a couple of days. There may be better ones?)

Yes, and no.

It's a nightmare from what I remember (my mate did it the other way when moving to San Francisco), you'd have to have a UK iTunes account, which would have to be set up with a UK bank card and address (parents card, give them the money maybe?).

The only reason he got a US credit card was to allow him to use iTunes in the US in the end.

So it's doable but a pain, and I wouldn't be able to walk you through it, as they may well have thought about that by now.

Also be careful that if you plug it into a PC here it might auto-sync and wipe all your stuff off (happened to me and my iTouch in aforementioned San Fran!)

Thanks. I actually have a UK iTunes account, UK bank card and address. Can you tell me what's involved? Thanks again.

Thanks. I actually have a UK iTunes account, UK bank card and address. Can you tell me what's involved? Thanks again.

If you have a UK iTunes account then you should be able to log into it on the Apps store on your iPhone and download UK based Apps/songs mate... that simple.

@ Chian - Yeah, Shazam is free mate, and fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 2g when that came out and upgraded to the 3g. If i'm honest im sick of it now. Internet drops out more and more, never seem to be in a 3G area when I want the net, no flash support so I cant use Live chat on OWTB, crap camera, no proper bluetooth, and since I upgraded to version 3.0 I can only get about half a day out of the battery. They reckon they have given the 3gs a better battery but according to the interweb its not much better, and the net isnt much quicker either. I even jailbroke it and filled it up with all sorts of goodies but it just ended up slower than Greegs after happy hour at the pie shop so i reset it ..... Etc etc etc.........

I been reading up on phones last few days cos im after a new one and dont know what to get. Not sure if im prepared to pay £87 for the phone and 45 a month PLUS pay a bolt on if i want unlimited texts. I can get a Nokia N97 or a HTC Touch HD for free, with unlimited texts and internet and more minutes than I would need. Theres also a new Samsung with a ridiculusly long name and a HD video camera but its huge! I think the box my iphone came in was smaller.....

SO... Im evidently not a fanboy OR have iphone envy. So what do i go for? I like the idea of this HTC jobbie but i'd probably just get wound up if the touchscreen or OS isnt as good as my iphone.... Decisions decisions..........

BTW I thought iFooty was good last season but it can be a bit slow, at least 5 or 6 minutes behind.... AND I remember reading the commentary of a game when i was working and Keiren Lee played. It mentioned him twice. Once when he gave a free kick away and once when he was subbed. I got home, looked on here, and everyone was raving about him!

Reason for edit - spelling, bloody iphone keeps inserting words when i dont want it to!

Edited by BlueJazzer

BTW I thought iFooty was good last season but it can be a bit slow, at least 5 or 6 minutes behind.... AND I remember reading the commentary of a game when i was working and Keiren Lee played. It mentioned him twice. Once when he gave a free kick away and once when he was subbed. I got home, looked on here, and everyone was raving about him!

Reason for edit - spelling, bloody iphone keeps inserting words when i dont want it to!

Anyone know if we can we get Latics World commentary on iphone now? I thought I read something about DRM being revised... Or did I dream it?!?!

BlueJazze, Was the Keiren Lee game Crewe away? I went and thought he played well that day.

Edited by martjs

May well have been Crewe. If he was subbed around the 70 min mark then probably.

I meant to mention (drip) about the maps app that comes with the phone being crap too. I had tom tom software on an old nokia about 4 years ago that was miles better. Would have brought it up earlier but I've not been able to get an Internet connection on the damn thing.....

:ranting:

To be honest, what applications on other phones gives you up-to-the-minute extensive coverage of Division 3 football? I don't think there's a lot out there. I know iFooty takes its data from BBC so if there's inconsitancies and errors in the content then it's the fault of BBC and not the app.

And the maps, well yeah it can be a little sluggish at times but I've found it OK on the whole. Not up to TomTom standard, but there's an app due out any day by them. For getting you out when you're lost, as I've found it's been more than fine for that. Let's remmeber, it isn't a sat nav device. It's just a map.

And as for O.S 3.0 sapping your battery life. It sounds like you've not switched off your notifications like the push features. Once you do this and manually have things pushed through you should be fine. Mine is anyway, so maybe it's a case-by-case thing rather than an across the board fault.

Personally, although I am a bit of a self-confessed Apple fanboy, I don't think another phone has a nicer and easier to use interface than the iPhone. This is what I've wanted most in a phone since I first got a mobile.

A friend of mine has the Pocket Partridge app, which must be the best 59p anyone will ever ever spend.

Right, without doing any research whatsoever, I'm hoping that this is an Alan Partridge audio quote app. Please tell me it is. Please.

Right, without doing any research whatsoever, I'm hoping that this is an Alan Partridge audio quote app. Please tell me it is. Please.

It is.

And like J say's if you turn off Push your battery will last a lot longer. I have it on, but that's a personal preference.

TomTom will be out soon for those who need it (I'd buy an in car charger before you download that monster!) and Maps is fantastic for those "holy crap where are we" moments (just ask the other 92InBlue guys!!).

Maps is also fantastic for its local search feature. The other day I was in town and couldn't for the life of me remember where Holland and Barrett had moved to from Deansgate (I don't go in as all they sell is useless trash, but I was being nice for my mum). Tapty-Tap and there it is a little arrow showing me the way. Bingo Bango.

It is.

And like J say's if you turn off Push your battery will last a lot longer. I have it on, but that's a personal preference.

TomTom will be out soon for those who need it (I'd buy an in car charger before you download that monster!) and Maps is fantastic for those "holy crap where are we" moments (just ask the other 92InBlue guys!!).

Maps is also fantastic for its local search feature. The other day I was in town and couldn't for the life of me remember where Holland and Barrett had moved to from Deansgate (I don't go in as all they sell is useless trash, but I was being nice for my mum). Tapty-Tap and there it is a little arrow showing me the way. Bingo Bango.

My name is Mart and I am an "iphone-olic" but iphone's maps app helped me and my mate out immensely the other Saturday...

Allow me to indulge myself... :lol:

We were drinking in Downtown Seattle after the Seattle Sounders v. Chelski match and we wanted to get to a German bar on the outskirts of town. So I searched for the bar on Safari then hit maps for directions. We had no car as we were on the pish (even though that doesn't seem to matter here but I digress!) so I hit person thingy to see how long it would take to walk. Can't remember what it said but we'd already walked from Qwest Field to Pike Place Market in the blazing sun so we didn't fancy that! Now many of you will know how difficult and expensive it is to get a taxi in most US cities (except for New York) so that option was out. So just for sh*ts and giggles I pushed the bus icon and what happened next I will remember forever :lol: . It not only told us what number bus to catch but it said what time it was leaving from, told us where to walk to, and where to get off (how rude!)... And it all went to plan as described by 'maps' - fantastic.

It sounds crap now but to two half-cut blokes in desperate times it was brilliant and well worth it for the German beer.

PS I tried the same thing later on to get the 20 miles home from Downtown Seattle and it was useless but that's Seattle's Public Transport system's fault not iphones! :grin: Taxi fare = $52 :ranting:

Edited by martjs

...that's Seattle's Public Transport system's fault...

Now then. I've got to say downtown Seattle's transport is outstanding.

First you have the crazy bus tunnel that helps no one as there's hardly any traffic anyway. Then you have the Monorail which goes from A to B and back again... linking the Needle and a bloody mall!!

The market was cool though... aside from all the tourists getting over excited by a rubber fish.

Now then. I've got to say downtown Seattle's transport is outstanding.

First you have the crazy bus tunnel that helps no one as there's hardly any traffic anyway. Then you have the Monorail which goes from A to B and back again... linking the Needle and a bloody mall!!

The market was cool though... aside from all the tourists getting over excited by a rubber fish.

Lol, spot on there Ste. They've just opened up a new light rail system that goes from Downtown Seattle to... a shopping mall! :lol: Actually, when it's finished it will go to the airport. A direct service to the airport was the original plan but the mall owners successfully lobbied that it should stop there on the way... Unreal.

http://www.seattle.gov/Transportation/lightrail.htm

When were you here? If you come over again give me a shout and I'll buy you a pint in the German bar!

When were you here? If you come over again give me a shout and I'll buy you a pint in the German bar!

Erm... Some time late last year... maybe late November early December. If I'd known you were out there I'd have shouted out. Loved it. It's a great city.

I f:censored:ing HATE Pike Place Market, and I've never been there. F:censored:ing FISH PHILOSOPHY my arse.

hahaha

That's some top notch irrational hatred right there.

I f:censored:ing HATE Pike Place Market, and I've never been there. F:censored:ing FISH PHILOSOPHY my arse.

Kinhell mate I can see why... I had no idea about this until now - I just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISH!_philosophy

Edit: sounds like the workers at Pike Place agree with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oga_DBOP1Y&NR=1/

Edited by martjs

• 9 months later...