100 hundred years ago today at Boundary Park

Guest sheridans_world

94 years ago this year, Latics finished second in the first division (as it was). We are one of the "Nearly" clubs, finished second in the highest league in the land but never finished first.

Those that finished second but never first.

Club........................Seasons

Bristol City..............1907

Oldham Athletic.......1915

Cardiff City.............1924

Leicester City..........1929

Charlton Athletic......1937

Blackpool................1956

Queens Park Rangers1976

Watford...................1983

Southampton 1 1984

One hundred years ago Latics were on the verge of becoming, for a short time, one of the top clubs in the country.

Wonder what would have happened if WW1 hadn't got in the way?

Yes Kaiser Wilhelm and Mark Hughes are personally responsible for the state we find ourselves in today.

94 years ago this year, Latics finished second in the first division (as it was). We are one of the "Nearly" clubs, finished second in the highest league in the land but never finished first.

Queens Park Rangers1976

Southampton 1 1984

I think we are also the club that has appeared in the most FA Cup semi finals without ever winning one. I don't know who holds that record for Play Off semis but it could well be us too!

Yes Kaiser Wilhelm and Mark Hughes are personally responsible for the state we find ourselves in today.

Yes, and I think we should target him for a few favours of players.

I ahve contacted Alan Hardy adn we have doen some tpractising over the phone.

AH: Hi Mark, could you loan a few players to Latics.

MH: No sorry.

AH: But look what has happenend to us since you scored THAT goal, all the LAtics fans blame you personally. And you are less popular than Hitler and Kaiser Bill. You have single handely caused the rot in OLdham. A small crumb will do.

MH: OK, seing as you put it like that....Have Ronalindo and Mich Richards till Juen next year.

Bound to work

Queens Park Rangers1976

Southampton 1 1984

messed it up in the last few games, were favourites and i think Everton took over, only needed a point or something - typical latics

Queens Park Rangers1976

Southampton.......... 1984

And not a single one of the clubs above is currently in the Premier League... :shock:

messed it up in the last few games, were favourites and i think Everton took over, only needed a point or something - typical latics

Bloody doddgy refs

“In April 1915 Billy Cook was playing in a game against Middlesborough at Ayresome Park. At the time Oldham Athletic was challenging for the First Division title. Middlesbrough quickly took a 3-0 goal lead. The Oldham players believed that the third goal should have been disallowed. They were further annoyed when they had a penalty appeal turned down.

Early in the second-half Cook fouled Willie Carr and boro scored the penalty to extend their lead to 4-1. Soon afterwards Cook brought down Carr again. The referee decided to send off Cook for persistent fouling. However, Cook refused to leave the field and the referee was forced to abandon the match. As a result, Oldham Athletic was fined £350 and Cook was banned by the Football Association for twelve months.

Cook continued to play for Oldham Athletic after the First World War. When he retired from professional football in 1919 he had scored 16 goals in 157 games for the club. “

linky thing

I think we are also the club that has appeared in the most FA Cup semi finals without ever winning one. I don't know who holds that record for Play Off semis but it could well be us too!

I can't be bothered to check, but Lincoln always seem to get there and fail, it might be them.

we lost the last two games of the season to Burnley and Liverpool....Everton won the title on 46 points, Latics on 45... :disappointed:

Interesting fact from this season....we played Bradford Park Avenue, away on Christmas Day and then at home on Boxing day, drawing 1 all away and winning 6 -1 at home...then played City at home on NYD and Bolton, away on the 2nd...drew against City and lost to Bolton

B)

we lost the last two games of the season to Burnley and Liverpool....Everton won the title on 46 points, Latics on 45... :disappointed:

Interesting fact from this season....we played Bradford Park Avenue, away on Christmas Day and then at home on Boxing day, drawing 1 all away and winning 6 -1 at home...then played City at home on NYD and Bolton, away on the 2nd...drew against City and lost to Bolton

B)

Wasn't there something about us missing a train which somehow or other :censored:ed us up in one of the last couple of games... ?