FAO TTA New stadium warning!

I dont think he has suggested he would not. Unlike some people who arent going to come just because its "not in Oldham" who are getting less grief... Its that sort and not the CJs of the world I cant understand.

I agree, all staunch Latics fans will go wherever it is, I will and I live just stones throw from BP.

In fact I'm looking forward to a posh new seat after having my leg scarred several times by sharp rusty fittings on the current main stand seats, a permanent reminder of the present ground that will always remain with me :grin:

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long-winded in your excuses as to why Latics always but always have to settle for being third-rate, aren't you?

Cool, slip in an insult to make it appear we share your dismal views. Fortunately, no settling going on here, despite how much you attmept to torture people's words to make it appear so!

For a start, we may be 'hemmed in' by the Manchester clubs, although I never noticed that they were positioned on either side of us. But there is no reason why they should be more attractive to the people of Oldham than to the people of Burnley, Blackburn or Bolton, say. The difference is in the way those clubs relate to the town, and the efforts they put into being successful. And you can't be seriously suggesting that the people of Oldham are attracted by Rochdale, Stockport and Bury.

No, if you read a bit more carefully you will see I am saying we are hemmed in by all the mentioned clubs. But thanks for the attempted pedantry anyway.

And sorry, that is utter rubbish, Blackburn and Burnley are distinctly Lancashire and tend to be outright Manc haters, whereas ourselves are in Greater MANCHESTER, hence we have to compete with the Manchester clubs for fans. As I said previously (how many times do I need to repeat mysefl? lol) Bolton are lesser the case in that respect.

The point about 'heritage is irrelevant. The likes of Bolton and Blackbiurn probably pulled in over 60,000 on as many occasions as we puled in over 40,000. The point is that from the early seventies onwards they were in the same boat as us. In fact, as recently as the early nineties, they were in a state that was a damn sight worse, in Bolton's case two divisions below us. You can't use the fact that they won something a few times in the early part of the last century as an excuse as to why Latics have to settle for permanent mediocrity.

Sorry, but not at all irrelevant. The clubs mentioned have, as explained less constrained fanbases, and subject to relative cycles (remember I mentioned that before!) of success, have consistently pulled in bigger crowds than we have. Sad but true. Though it doesn't stop you from using the fact that we manged to scrape our way into the Premiership for three seasons solely on the back of Joe Royle's brilliance as an excuse to .... blah blah boring boring blah blah!

Not only did I not have United in mind as a serious rivals, but I didn't have City in mind either. I've always said that not too long ago our natural rivals locally were the Lancashire clubs that have recently sailed past us-clubs from similar towns to Oldham, with similar populations. I've named the ones I mean too many times to mention. Not all of them have had 'sugar daddies,' and nor have clubs elsewhere who have managed to surpass us.

See above for explanation of how City and United vie with us (for support). Just a pity you've suddenly forgotten the names of any of these Lancashire clubs to quote, or did I comprehensively (sorry, long-windedly) explain those away?

It comes to something when a supporter of a club on its last legs for more than a decade now looks at the likes of Hull and Reading as having precarious futures.

Again, nice try, but how does a club which is not about to mortgage its future by trying to spend huge amounts of money it does not presently have, and is securing its future financial stability with a viable and expandable stadium qualify as being on its legs now? I'll give you that Oldham has been on its last legs, very true, but some of us can actually look forward with hope and optimism, unlike you.

And yes, I very much fear for the likes of Hull and Reading, and Wigan too, should their sugar-daddies have to pull out, because they will have serious problems just like we did when Chris Moore left.

I don't see why pointing out the fact that most stadiums with a capacity of around 12000 are concentrated at the bottom end of the Football League amounts to 'wriggling.' We'll see where our future lies

as events unfold. Those getting in the excuses al=ready know, deep down, where it is.

No, it was the attempted correllation between that and some fictional acceptance of a dismal future that was not acceptable.

Yes we shall see what the future holds, and as for your last bit, that is classic, I take it you mean deep down where the voices in your head reside??

Anyway, nice and hugely amusing though this exchange has been, you're starting to bore me, so I think I'll be leaving off this topic till the Architects come up with something, or we have any other similarly important breaking news to digest.

Cheers,

B

Once built it will never be increased for reasons already explained at least a dozen times.* Even if we try to imagine that the 12000 capacity doesn't mean that the club has resigned itself to permanent lower division football, can anybody think of a club that has built onto their existing stadium (already completed stadium, I mean)? Off the top of my head, I can only think of ManUre.

*Note to halfwits: this is opinion. We will see what happens...

Walsall

It's how it usually ends, isn't it?

Yes, true. Unfortunately I only then saw the 'who's ever expanded a completed ground' question and, once I had picked myself off the floor and stopped chortling, I was seriously tempted to take the bait once more.

But, no, I will be strong, I will be strong, I will be strong ......... lol

You new here or summat? That's how every discussion with CJ goes because he never offers any possible solution or move at all despite people offering numerous reasoned arguments. Then they offer possible solutions and he in effect replies, "that won't work" and it so it goes on.

Nobody offers any 'solutions', actually. How could they?

Just walked past west broms ground. That's tidy. Was it a redevelopment or a brand new build? I'd look up the capacity but I'm on a train using iPhone and we will have probably built the goddamn thing by the time it opens a new page....

Just walked past west broms ground. That's tidy. Was it a redevelopment or a brand new build? I'd look up the capacity but I'm on a train using iPhone and we will have probably built the goddamn thing by the time it opens a new page....

The Hawthorns has been extensively rebuilt since in the 1990's. Last time I was there was in 1990.

Don't bother Jazzer, it would seem that O2's 3G network is down (again, for the 2nd time this month)! I've been unable to get a connection since around 10am ish. :angry:

Cool, slip in an insult to make it appear we share your dismal views. Fortunately, no settling going on here, despite how much you attmept to torture people's words to make it appear so!

No, if you read a bit more carefully you will see I am saying we are hemmed in by all the mentioned clubs. But thanks for the attempted pedantry anyway.

And sorry, that is utter rubbish, Blackburn and Burnley are distinctly Lancashire and tend to be outright Manc haters, whereas ourselves are in Greater MANCHESTER, hence we have to compete with the Manchester clubs for fans. As I said previously (how many times do I need to repeat mysefl? lol) Bolton are lesser the case in that respect.

Sorry, but not at all irrelevant. The clubs mentioned have, as explained less constrained fanbases, and subject to relative cycles (remember I mentioned that before!) of success, have consistently pulled in bigger crowds than we have. Sad but true. Though it doesn't stop you from using the fact that we manged to scrape our way into the Premiership for three seasons solely on the back of Joe Royle's brilliance as an excuse to .... blah blah boring boring blah blah!

See above for explanation of how City and United vie with us (for support). Just a pity you've suddenly forgotten the names of any of these Lancashire clubs to quote, or did I comprehensively (sorry, long-windedly) explain those away?

Again, nice try, but how does a club which is not about to mortgage its future by trying to spend huge amounts of money it does not presently have, and is securing its future financial stability with a viable and expandable stadium qualify as being on its legs now? I'll give you that Oldham has been on its last legs, very true, but some of us can actually look forward with hope and optimism, unlike you.

And yes, I very much fear for the likes of Hull and Reading, and Wigan too, should their sugar-daddies have to pull out, because they will have serious problems just like we did when Chris Moore left.

No, it was the attempted correllation between that and some fictional acceptance of a dismal future that was not acceptable.

Yes we shall see what the future holds, and as for your last bit, that is classic, I take it you mean deep down where the voices in your head reside??

Anyway, nice and hugely amusing though this exchange has been, you're starting to bore me, so I think I'll be leaving off this topic till the Architects come up with something, or we have any other similarly important breaking news to digest.

Cheers,

B

Here's some news for you-it isn't an insult to make the simple observation that you, like so many others, always have excuses at the ready as to why Latics must always settle for being third rate.

The point about Burnley and Blackburn being 'outright Manc haters' is, again, irrelevant. And not only that, it's mere opinion and not fact. In my experience, you see as many ManUre shirts as can be spotted in Oldham wherever you go (with obvious exceptions such as Liverpool.) That's an opinion, or observation, too. I don't see why it means Latics have to be eternally crap.

What's a constrained fanbase? And are you an example of a constrained Latics fan? If so, I recommend prunes. Faling that Senopods. The clubs I mention might be traditionally better supported than Latics, but, as I said, they weren't in the early nineties-far from it. Latics' task at the time was to keep hold of the newly expanded fanbase. Those others clubs had the task of reviving theirs. They succeeded; Latics failed miserably. Again, though, we must have the usual excuses at the ready. And I've quoted the Lancashire clubs I mean too many times to remember. Trying reading the thread you mistakenly think you're making a worthwhile contribution to. And then start on the others where I've mentioned all the same clubs ad infinitum.

You can look forward to the future with as much optimism as you like, buddie-optimism, however, will affect nothing when you consider that we're having a twelve thousand capacity stadium because the club has settled for never again playing games where we attract more than that. If that makes you optimistic, fine. I reserve my right to find this not a cause for optimism, however. Each to their own, eh?

How long can the Chris Moore fiasco be used as a stick to beat Latics fans with ambition with, by the way?

Moving the goalposts so to speak.

What? To point out to yet another poster who raises the Chris Moore bogeyman (the last resort of the apologist for mediocrity) that it's a stick to beat down any suggestion that Latics, God forbid, show some ambition is moving the goalposts?

What, like that newly built stadium Old Trafford?! :unsure:

Edit - PS: The Stadium of Light was extended in 2002 from a capacity of 42,000 to 49,000. Apparently it can be extended further in the future (fairly simply apparently) to around 64,000.