Latics 2 Boro 2

An alternative? How about a decent centre half or a decent keeper as we seem to be lacking in those departments.

Hate to say it but I'm getting a bit of deja vu back to last summer when Shez signed a team of central midfielders in Whitts, Lee, Stephens and then threw in Maher at the last minute for good measure.

We have absolutely no need for another goal-shy striker. None whatsoever. Byfield gives nothing to warrant a place in the squad let alone the team.

Waste of a wage.

E4e

HEHAW

Couldnt agree more.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No friend of mine...what a daft remark Rick...just met him at a charity do. He just wasnt fit last year and he accepts that. Was good to hear him say nice things about his time at latics compared to Donny. I respect you dont think hes the answer but who is? Hes another polarised Striker love him or hate him by sound of things. BUT unless they score I agree the term striker is a bit tame.

So why are you so adamant that he is the answer to all our problems if he is not your friend?

Did you go to the match last night? Or is all this blather from you based upon the opinions of Prozac?

Oh yeah, and PLEASE stop SHOUTING

So why are you so adamant that he is the answer to all our problems if he is not your friend?

Did you go to the match last night? Or is all this blather from you based upon the opinions of Prozac?

Oh yeah, and PLEASE stop SHOUTING

The way I read Hallam's post he just chatted to the player and found him to be decent and genuine guy, I don't see what's wrong with that.

I went to the match last night and thought Byfield put in a lot of effort showing some skill and pace, in fact had he been on Middlesbrough's side I think Latics fans would enthused about him as I thought he was more impressive than any of their strikers.

Edited by BP1960

The way I read Hallam's post he just chatted to the player and found him to be decent and genuine guy, I don't see what's wrong with that.

I went to the match last night and thought Byfield put in a lot of effort showing some skill and pace, in fact had he been on Middlesbrough's side I think Latics fans would enthused about him as I thought he was more impressive than any of their strikers.

I dont think that there is anything wrong with someone meeting a player and thinking that they are a nice person, but to use this and the third party account of a messageboard poster as a basis to tell other people (including myself) who were at the match that we should give the guy a contract, is somewhat questionable in my view.

My take on Byfield's performance last night is - Energetic, but no End Result - 0 goals, 0 shots on target, 0 shots if I remember correctly. If we are to progress, we don't need another Paul Warne, we need another Chris Porter / Lee Hughes / Craig Davies / Jim Steele. In my opinion of course.

JESUS - why do you have to constantly repeat and justify yourself on this Board. Tsk

Or just perhaps the whole commentary and reports from last night suggested Byfield played well. Not one person but lots of people. Was surprised that so many thought he hadnt via board today. Would prefer a host of strikers who we cant afford, just keep asking who instead but no answers to the question..or better solutions so far.

All i said was he said to me at a charity function when I asked how he thought things had gone, was he said something like. " I feel as though I let myself down a bit as wasnt match fit, ........getting there but not my level of fitness...enjoyed playing with Taylor...FANS I met really supportive wanted me to do well, felt at home, would like to have proved a few wrong at Donny." wouldnt be drawn on Hughes...

As for the last bit Rick feel just the same its an opinion...nothing more.

No problem, but I think we Agree to Disagree on this one. Can't believe that it took 4 pages to get to this.

As far as who else, I think that we need to sign A.N Other-Stiker from Someone Else FC if they present themselves or are found by our networking and scouting intrastructure - but we need to strengthen our Centre Half position and then Goal Keeper before worrying too much about re-signing someone who failed to impress in 8 games last season and has divided opinion on here after 3/4 of a game last night.

Just getting back to the main topic of the post (cos im bored of byfield yes/no debate).

A good write up from their official site and some fair comments by Mr Southgate:

A Kick Up The Backside

BORO were given a sharp lesson in what life outside the Premier League will be like at Boundary Park last night - that's the view of Gareth Southgate.

The Boro boss was less than impressed with a first half performance which saw Boro go in one down after their most ineffectual 45 minutes of the summer.

Pleased with the response the second half brought, Southgate was still in no mood to offer plaudits: "The players have been fantastic for three weeks and that's the first time we have let our standards drop and I didn't think that performance in the first half was acceptable or anywhere near what we need to achieve," he said.

Boro were second to most ball as Oldham closed down quickly, were sharper and more determined. When Boro did get their passing game going there was no cutting edge.

"There's no hiding from the fact we are missing senior strikers," Southgate acknowledges, " but I don't think we were sharp enough in our passing, we wanted too many touches and were flowery, we didn't look like a team of winners. To be fair we got better as the game went on and Rhys Williams did well when he moved into the middle of midfield, he kept his game simple, broke moves up and scored again. And I thought Mark Yeates gave a real spark when he came on as well."

The third goal in as many games from Rhys Williams cancelled out Chris Taylor's early strike, a powerful header from Robert Huth edged Boro in front only for Keigan Parker to curl a stunning free-kick into the top corner from 30 yards.

"What you have to realise is that some of those Oldham players have played at a higher level," says Southgate. "I started with some of them as kids at Villa. Some of them are playing for their contracts, some are playing for their futures, well some of ours have to realise they are too.

"To be a top player you have to answer every challenge, physical, mental and have technical ability. At times we showed great technical ability but were beaten to too many tackles and for me our body language wasn't right at times.

"In a sense I'm glad because we've had a kick up the backside and the game was a wake up call for a few.

"In fairness we were a lot sharper in the second half, we started winning our tackles and were a lot better, but after getting in front we weren't ruthless enough to see it through.

"I'm not happy with the performance, we're going to have to raise our game."

Ok, I’m bringing my (rather late) thoughts on the game.

Enjoyable, good tempo, good first time passing moves. Was quite encouraged by how we played.

Very impressed with the centre mid two. Dunno were this Worthy can’t pass thing came from, he looks ok in that department to me, not a world beater, but good enough. The rest of his game is excellent. Furman looks like he could be a big favourite with the fans.

Thought Hazell did better, more physical and worked harder, obviously had a kick up the backside.

I really like Jacobson, any news on his injury?

Abbott worked hard, didn’t look lazy to me. Can play a bit too, some nice flicks and unfortunate not to get a goal.

Byfield, the controversial man himself. Well I thought he did well, it was a very Warney type performance, but if he did a Warney every game I reckon he would get some goals at this level. If we were to sign him then they we would need to shift Lewi out on loan.

What a freekick from KP!

Still need a CB!

The only other negative is the keeper looks suspect, but everyone seems to agree with that one, no controversy there! Give him time and we will see…

"What you have to realise is that some of those Oldham players have played at a higher level," says Southgate. "I started with some of them as kids at Villa"

Who played with him at Villa...it's too late and CBA lookin online.

Someone with Latics links taking a look at him I hear.

Ratboy supplying Lewi......

Parker's freekick was superb.

Was fortunate to be sat just to the left of the goal so saw the delivery, trajectory and the satisfaction of the ball smacking the corner of the frame, down across the line and into the net.

The great thing was Parker just beforehand. He kept glancing over at that far corner of the goal so you knew that he meant it and you couldn't score a better freekick, right in the corner.

Parker's freekick was superb.

Was fortunate to be sat just to the left of the goal so saw the delivery, trajectory and the satisfaction of the ball smacking the corner of the frame, down across the line and into the net.

The great thing was Parker just beforehand. He kept glancing over at that far corner of the goal so you knew that he meant it and you couldn't score a better freekick, right in the corner.

seems to of had laugh with penny when he scored... couldnt really see what he did put all smiles

quality!!!! :grin: