Latics 2 Boro 2

A suprisingly keenly fought contest ended all square at BP, Latics were by far the better side in the first-half with Neal Eardley putting in a superb display (obviously the scouts were there). Chris Taylor's sublime finish was the difference at the break with Darren Byfield catching the eye too in a display of effort and endeavour.

Second-half we fell asleep at two corners and if i'm honest Dean Brill's fumble which led to the corner and the fact the header was straight at him again raised a question mark over his reliability. He did manage to finally make a save and a very good one too. Keigan Parker replaced Byfield and within a minute of us going 2-1 down the Scot crashed in a cracking dipping and curling free-kick in off the underside of the cross-bar. Latics could have won it with two pile drivers blocked from Kelvin Lomax and early in the second-half Pav should have made it 2-0 but could not keep his drive down. All in all a very good display and a marked improvement from Saturday's showing.

Brill - One good save, two dodgy goals from corners - especially the second one, a bullet maybe but straight at him

Eards - Best performance from him in a long time

Jacobson - steady, but went off injured in the second-half

Rubes - mUch better than Saturday, but lack of concentration cost goals again

Greegs - See Rubes

Holdsworth - Average

Furman - Again full of hardwork keeps the ball and put his foot in several times. Went off with cramp I hope

Worthy - Full of running and tackling, distrubution was ok

Taylor - Good finish and did well against higher opposition

Abbott - Should have scored with the chance at the Chaddy, some neat touches and was decent in the air

Byfield - Different player to the one we had on loan, put himself about and was a real thorn in the side of Boro's defenders

Subs:

Whits - Did ok on the right, but obsessed with short-corners!

Parker - Great goal, but all round impact was minimal, to be fair he was a sub in a friendly!

Rowney - On for 2 minutes

O'Grady - huffed and puffed

Lomax - Played as well as Eards did in the first-half and played on both flanks, looked to push forward much more than I have seen in the past.

All in all a decent workout, the Keeper still concerns me and I hope the knocks we've picked up are not serious. Boro put out a decent team including Aliadiere and Arca.

As for Byfield? I'd give him a deal looks fit and hungry.

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suprisingly keenly fought contest ended all square at BP, Latics were by far the better side in the first-half with Neal Eardley putting in a superb display (obviously the scouts were there). Chris Taylor's sublime finish was the difference at the break with Darren Byfield catching the eye too in a display of effort and endeavour.

Second-half we fell asleep at two corners and if i'm honest Dean Brill's fumble which led to the corner and the fact the header was straight at him again raised a question mark over his reliability. He did manage to finally make a save and a very good one too. Keigan Parker replaced Byfield and within a minute of us going 2-1 down the Scot crashed in a cracking dipping and curling free-kick in off the underside of the cross-bar. Latics could have won it with two pile drivers blocked from Kelvin Lomax and early in the second-half Pav should have made it 2-0 but could not keep his drive down. All in all a very good display and a marked improvement from Saturday's showing.

Brill - One good save, two dodgy goals from corners - especially the second one, a bullet maybe but straight at him

Greegs - See Rubes

Holdsworth - Average

Furman - Again full of hardwork keeps the ball and put his foot in several times. Went off with cramp I hope

Abbott - Should have scored with the chance at the Chaddy, some neat touches and was decent in the air

Byfield - Different player to the one we had on loan, put himself about and was a real thorn in the side of Boro's defenders

Subs:

Parker - Great goal, but all round impact was minimal, to be fair he was a sub in a friendly!

Lomax - Played as well as Eards did in the first-half and played on both flanks, looked to push forward much more than I have seen in the past.

All in all a decent workout, the Keeper still concerns me and I hope the knocks we've picked up are not serious. Boro put out a decent team including Aliadiere and Arca.

Sounds like we are progressing but like you I feel Fleming should have been given a chance as Brill appears to be taking some time to settle. Maybe we will sign a reserve goalie from a Premiership / Championship team before the season starts.

Can't wait !!

Does seem strange, noticed on Saturday at half time Brill seemed to be making excuses to Collett that goals were nowt to do with him, although I agree Reuben more than played his part!

Hope he gets it sorted as was very highly rated and would hope if not we dont settle for any old s**t like the Hartlepool fool we had last season!

If Beckham had took that free-kick in a world cup final people would be talking about it for years!

A very good game with Latics dominating till they equilised by a poor unmarked header from a corner, their 2nd goal was very similar to their 1st aswel. Taylors goal was well worked with some neat passes leading upto it. I personally didn't think Eardley was that good (not a boo boy before people go there) his crosses were way off the mark and he just seemed to kick the ball into no mans land when he didnt have a man in front to pass it to.

Special mentions to Hazell first half who was very good, Worthington played well as a defensive midfielder throughout and Furman did some fantastic tackles in the centre of the park. A good workout for the lads tonight.

Enjoyed the game, despite a fool in the main stand effin and blinding at every opportunity.

Parker's goal was a gem.

Brill - hmmm not really sure about him

Byfield ran himself ragged but didn't do all that much for me

impressed with kelvin again played very well

He looks a lot more confident when the ball is at his feet and linked very well going forward. It will be interesting to see if he can break into the starting 11 with so much competition for 2 fullback posistions.

Greegs - See Rubes

Holdsworth - Average

Subs:

Excellent write up there...can't fault it...only would like to add that Gregan proper got his pants pulled down for that 2nd corner. A corner which worryingly came from Brills fumble. Don't mind it if he gets them out of the way now.

If we go into the season without any more additions then it's simple how next season will pan out...we'll be a side that will say to its oppo "we'll score one more than you!"...with many goals in games. Coz the back 2 can't defend together but we've got goals in us. Lots and lots of goals...I'm now, finally, starting to get a little excited (not as much as I normally am) but more than I have been. Furman, Parker, Taylor and Byfield will provide lots of problems with Abbott nicely glueing the pieces together with his flicks and intellegence. Another CB please tho DP!

Deja vu with Byfield?

Remember Frankly texting me after Northampton away (Byfields debut) saying how decent he looked! Saw him plenty of times for myself after that and he was absolute toss.

Give him a contract and watch the cigar come out.

He's had his chance (in fact he's had about 15!).

Thanks but please, no thanks.

E4e

GTRID

he was exactlyy the same as last season he just ran around nothing more i really hope we dont get this guy on board he is just boring to watch plus we dont need him as for the goal keeper i cant see why fleming has gone close source told me thay didnt rate him the coaching staff :S he was by far best goal keeper we had at latics only thing that let fleming down was his odd running out like a loone bad choice to send him away.

great game looking stronger mentaly gona be a good force this coming season

Byfield didnt do enough to earn himself a contract for me. Put himself about but that was about it. Give him another run out against Blackpool. I don't see how he is better than what we have got.

Steak Pie was pretty good tonight but that freekick was better.

yep, hope we get to see Kiegan's free kick again

hope i get to see it in the first place. decided not to go tonight becuase of the sunderland performance + weather forecast but seems like i missed a decent game. i listened to some of the game and it seemed to me that furman was playing well and running the game for latics or was it just me?

Scouts maybe forgetting bout Eardley an goin for a cheaper option?

Byfield didnt do enough to earn himself a contract for me. Put himself about but that was about it. Give him another run out against Blackpool. I don't see how he is better than what we have got.

Steak Pie was pretty good tonight but that freekick was better.

Constantly niggling and nicking the ball off defenders is more than other forwards were doing...nicely won a corner in 1st half by robbing the ball, holding his man off and with no support, playing it off the man. That's the stuff we want. Plus he's always scored goals at this level when fit...he looked twice as lean tonight as he did last time. Coz he wasn't fit the last time and Shez didn't know how to play him. Sign him up...be a great addition!

Edited by boundaryblue80