Latics 2 Boro 2

BBC's Ceefax says we drew 2-2 at Bradford PA tonight and they're still waiting for our other result from Ashton United.

It said them games in The Mirror too...when clearly we were playing Boro for sure...bloody media....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suprisingly keenly fought contest ended all square at BP, Latics were by far the better side in the first-half with Neal Eardley putting in a superb display (obviously the scouts were there). Chris Taylor's sublime finish was the difference at the break with Darren Byfield catching the eye too in a display of effort and endeavour.

Second-half we fell asleep at two corners and if i'm honest Dean Brill's fumble which led to the corner and the fact the header was straight at him again raised a question mark over his reliability. He did manage to finally make a save and a very good one too. Keigan Parker replaced Byfield and within a minute of us going 2-1 down the Scot crashed in a cracking dipping and curling free-kick in off the underside of the cross-bar. Latics could have won it with two pile drivers blocked from Kelvin Lomax and early in the second-half Pav should have made it 2-0 but could not keep his drive down. All in all a very good display and a marked improvement from Saturday's showing.

Brill - One good save, two dodgy goals from corners - especially the second one, a bullet maybe but straight at him

Eards - Best performance from him in a long time

Jacobson - steady, but went off injured in the second-half

Rubes - mUch better than Saturday, but lack of concentration cost goals again

Greegs - See Rubes

Holdsworth - Average

Furman - Again full of hardwork keeps the ball and put his foot in several times. Went off with cramp I hope

Worthy - Full of running and tackling, distrubution was ok

Taylor - Good finish and did well against higher opposition

Abbott - Should have scored with the chance at the Chaddy, some neat touches and was decent in the air

Byfield - Different player to the one we had on loan, put himself about and was a real thorn in the side of Boro's defenders

Subs:

Whits - Did ok on the right, but obsessed with short-corners!

Parker - Great goal, but all round impact was minimal, to be fair he was a sub in a friendly!

Rowney - On for 2 minutes

O'Grady - huffed and puffed

Lomax - Played as well as Eards did in the first-half and played on both flanks, looked to push forward much more than I have seen in the past.

All in all a decent workout, the Keeper still concerns me and I hope the knocks we've picked up are not serious. Boro put out a decent team including Aliadiere and Arca.

As for Byfield? I'd give him a deal looks fit and hungry.

Couple of points I disagree with.

I think it is unfair to blame Brill too much when our Central defence partnership spectacuralry failed to deal with headers in the area from corners. By the time the ball went anywhere near Brill, he had no chance. Gregan had his pants pulled down and his arse smacked infront of the whole school for the second goal we conceeded.

Still wouldn't consider Byfield. Ran around like a headless chicken, no attempts at goal or on target.

Thought Worthys and Furball did really well in the first half but were outplayed in the second - but against a much more expensive squad.

Also thought that Eards played really well - especially considering he was against that England U21 right winger - Adam Johnson.

Oh, yeah and WHAT a free kick. Really glad I decided to go in the end.

(Also playing for Boro were David Wheater (replaced by Robert Huth) and Justin Hoyte)

Edited by Rick

Constantly niggling and nicking the ball off defenders is more than other forwards were doing...nicely won a corner in 1st half by robbing the ball, holding his man off and with no support, playing it off the man. That's the stuff we want. Plus he's always scored goals at this level when fit...he looked twice as lean tonight as he did last time. Coz he wasn't fit the last time and Shez didn't know how to play him. Sign him up...be a great addition!

He did more than Abbott i suppose. Lets hope he keeps up the work rate that u describe. I remember him making a number of fouls tonight but at least he was hassling like you say. Abbott has seemed absolutely knackered in every friendly ive seen. I cant see any of our strikers being prolific this season. Think it will be more a case of them sharing the goals out. Taylor top scorer for us IMO.

Thought Worthys and Furball did really well in the first half but were outplayed in the second - but against a much more expensive squad.

Oh, yeah and WHAT a free kick. Really glad I decided to go in the end.

Yeah, highlights for me there. Furman and Worthers pretty much ran the midfield first half andf kept us chugging. Boro were resorting to counter attacks and their playmaker Arca was pretty much ineffective. Taylor was a real thorn in their side and when he cuts in is starting to have some impact.

Happy at no goals conceded through open play. Other than set pieces, we kept a better quality team away from goal and on the back foot. Great work across midfield but not so much at either ends. Mind you, when you have Huth and Wheater bombing in at set-pieces, it's not all bad news (although the first goal should definitely have been taken care of).

Still, only a friendly and just a chance to see glimpses of what players are like. I'm starting to get a little bit of enthusiasm for the new season now. I hope we play like that, and show that sort of character when we go behind.

special mention for adam johnson.. ppl actually appreciated how well he played, other players just walk off when there getting clapped by oppostion fans, atleast he responded to the crowd.. ppl remember things like that

going to have to keep an eye on that kid.. gud luck for the season lad.. you are a premiership player and better than downing :grin:

BBC's Ceefax says we drew 2-2 at Bradford PA tonight and they're still waiting for our other result from Ashton United.

Ashton was postponed coz of the weather - actually get there before we found out.

On to Buxton on Saturday!

BTW diego directions for Buxtons on their site say "turn right at Joe Royle's shop" - just a coincidence or the great man?

QUOTE (Diego_Sideburns @ Jul 29 2009, 23:08 PM)

It said them games in The Mirror too...when clearly we were playing Boro for sure...bloody media....

As did SKy

They all seem to use the same source!

Excellent!!

Byfield is a totally different player! He's played 90 mins with no goal and no assist. Errr so what exactly is so different? He ran around a lot? Riiiiggghht then. So nowt out of the ordinary for a player playing for a contract?

We've a ready made striker who "can't score but runs around a lot" on the bench in COG.

Since leaving us in January he's played seven competitive games and scored...hard to believe I know...zero goals.

Why the ---- is he suddenly the answer?!?! Guys, he's gash.

E4e

BANJO

Does seem strange, noticed on Saturday at half time Brill seemed to be making excuses to Collett that goals were nowt to do with him, although I agree Reuben more than played his part!

Hope he gets it sorted as was very highly rated and would hope if not we dont settle for any old s**t like the Hartlepool fool we had last season!

How VERY dare you! Olé Olé, Olé Olé Janny Budtz Budtz Budtz

Excellent!!

Byfield is a totally different player! He's played 90 mins with no goal and no assist. Errr so what exactly is so different? He ran around a lot? Riiiiggghht then. So nowt out of the ordinary for a player playing for a contract?

We've a ready made striker who "can't score but runs around a lot" on the bench in COG.

Since leaving us in January he's played seven competitive games and scored...hard to believe I know...zero goals.

Why the ---- is he suddenly the answer?!?! Guys, he's gash.

E4e

BANJO

After last season I would of agreed with you about Byfield and would of said the same in that COG is better. However last night, and I know its only one game, Byfield looked like a different player. He ran his socks off, chased everything, won corners and played some nice passes. In comparison COG looked lazy. Not saying he is and as I said only one game but Byfield worked harder. For me COG holds the ball up well but his overall work rate isnt the greatest.

But overall its one friendly game and its good to see we have options coming up to the start of the season as opposed to last seasons we must play Lee Hughes and search other clubs for a loan striker who can play along side him!

Byfield has the right attitude. Nik you keep ignoring the fact he hasnt played in a losing side for us even when team was on slide.

Having met him briefly at a do in Sheffield has NOTHING bad to say about latics as a club, or fans, felt he let himself down as wasnt match fit and said he was doing a lot of work on his own to get fit. (Didnt know he was possibly returning as this was in May). Enjoyed playing with Taylor no mention of Hughes other than a wry smile, think he was hard to play alongside.

Did say he felt badly treated at Donny and had a few points to prove somewhere.

OK, so he is a friend of yours, but I dont think he is the answer if I am being honest. I went last night and didn't especially rate him. Yes, his effort was commendable, but we need someone who will contribute more than effort and endless running in my opinion. This is what he did last time he was here.

Won 4 Drew 4, but also scored 1 in 8. I am not convinvced that he is the answer.

I thought Boro's number 5 looked good and could be a decent shout for centre-back.

Or am I having monkeyShines?

:lol: It got to the 70th minute and a guy behind me said , tell you what Seb Hines has played well , I was like WHAT? Thats Seb Hines?!! I couldnt believe it , he looked a totally different player at CB unlike his rabbit in the headlight performances at RB

:lol: It got to the 70th minute and a guy behind me said , tell you what Seb Hines has played well , I was like WHAT? Thats Seb Hines?!! I couldnt believe it , he looked a totally different player at CB unlike his rabbit in the headlight performances at RB

He wasn't too bad for them. Lot of finger pointing in his direction after Taylor scored though.

I fail to see what Byfield has that COG doesn't

Look at COG's performance against Hyde. His work rate was fantastic.

Byfield is playing for a contract. I think id be runnin my arse off too. Still not convinced.

COG is great until he has to shoot and he cant even get the ball of the ground. Hold up play is very good his effort is very good he has the build and decent pace but when it comes to shooting he is awful. A couple of times last season in the very few games he did play he could have layed the ball off for players to finish it off in the last few minutes but went for the greedy option of glory and cocked it up (colchester away, Huddersfiald at home spring to mind) both games we ended up drawing that weould have meant victories. Saying all of that Byfields scoring record is no better but I would still choose him in a one on one situation.

A career for starters..lol

Average a goal every 1 in 4 86 232games and 108 as sub in league. Scoring 16 in 28 in 2007 season for Millwall, 8 in 17 for Brizzle City.

Byfield

compared to. Chris 98 (47 more as sub) league games and 20 goals average 0.13 or 1 in 9ish only goal return for Rotherham 13 in 46 starts.

Chris O'Grady

Let me think who would I preder to wear a latics shirt.

Bit of an unfair way to compare them

COG is 23

Byfield is 32

Average a goal every 1 in 4 86 232games and 108 as sub in league. Scoring 16 in 28 in 2007 season for Millwall, 8 in 17 for Brizzle City.

Byfield

compared to. Chris 98 (47 more as sub) league games and 20 goals average 0.13 or 1 in 9ish only goal return for Rotherham 13 in 46 starts.

Chris O'Grady

I fail to see when a goal every 486,232 games became a good strike record.

I fail to see what Byfield has that COG doesn't

Look at COG's performance against Hyde. His work rate was fantastic.

Byfield is playing for a contract. I think id be runnin my arse off too. Still not convinced.

Exactly!!! O'Grady was playing against HYDE (Blue Square North). Byfield was playing against MIDDLESBOROUGH (Coca-cola Championship and till recently establised Premier League side). I'm not being funny but I know some decent sunday league players who could put in a decent performance against Hyde United.

Byfield

Chris O'Grady

Neither have pulled up trees that's why we're fortunate that only one is contracted to the club. Why sign up the other?

Not entertaining the 'unbeaten in 8' shout. XI v XI.

E4e

VPOOR

Alternatives then....? Billy Sharp for 1.2 million perhaps... just give us an alternative suggestion.

so accorduing to you it was X v XI was it....?

An alternative? How about a decent centre half or a decent keeper as we seem to be lacking in those departments.

Hate to say it but I'm getting a bit of deja vu back to last summer when Shez signed a team of central midfielders in Whitts, Lee, Stephens and then threw in Maher at the last minute for good measure.

We have absolutely no need for another goal-shy striker. None whatsoever. Byfield gives nothing to warrant a place in the squad let alone the team.

Waste of a wage.

E4e

HEHAW

An alternative? How about a decent centre half or a decent keeper as we seem to be lacking in those departments.

Hate to say it but I'm getting a bit of deja vu back to last summer when Shez signed a team of central midfielders in Whitts, Lee, Stephens and then threw in Maher at the last minute for good measure.

We have absolutely no need for another goal-shy striker. None whatsoever. Byfield gives nothing to warrant a place in the squad let alone the team.

Waste of a wage.

Will you ANSWER the question please. We need a centre half and a keeper as well accepted but striker???????? WHO?

LOL Get her. Meow.

Apologies for the unintended wooosh. An alternative is a centre half, meaning I don't think we need another striker.

E4e

GEDIT