Student membership

The form reads:

Oldham Athletic will be allowing students in full-time education up to the age of 21, to pay the concessionary match day price providing they have registered for the student discount scheme in advance.

Does anyone know from prior experience if this means '21 and under' or strictly 'under 21'?

For the record, I still think this scheme is ridiculous regardless of whether it's up to and including 21. I don't get why the club feel the need to make all students have to buy membership before they can get concessionary rates...no other club I've come across makes people do it because it's ridiculous. It surely costs the club money - for instance I've got four friends coming up next weekend...none of them would pay 20 quid to watch L1 football but they would come for a tenner.

The form reads:

Does anyone know from prior experience if this means '21 and under' or strictly 'under 21'?

For the record, I still think this scheme is ridiculous regardless of whether it's up to and including 21. I don't get why the club feel the need to make all students have to buy membership before they can get concessionary rates...no other club I've come across makes people do it because it's ridiculous. It surely costs the club money - for instance I've got four friends coming up next weekend...none of them would pay 20 quid to watch L1 football but they would come for a tenner.

despite being 28 at the time I emailed Alan Hardy about this, stated I could provide proof I was in full-time eduaction etc.. Alan was very accomodating and provided me with the membership for the 05/06 season. The year after, I was a little more flushed and renewed my lapsed ST which I've done since. What i'm trying to say is email AH, provide him with the evidence and he'll get back to you. He actually rang me to discuss my situation which I thought was a nice touch.

The form reads:

I'm sure lots of people have friends who would like to pay just £10 a game. But latics can't sustain lge 1 football on 5000 people at £10 a time.

They have set up a scheme, theey've made an effort, but yet again they get criticised for it.

I'm sure lots of people have friends who would like to pay just £10 a game. But latics can't sustain lge 1 football on 5000 people at £10 a time.

They have set up a scheme, theey've made an effort, but yet again they get criticised for it.

Yeah but it's not a case of who wants to pay a tenner a game, it's who can afford it. My point isn't that students would rather pay a tenner but will still pay twenty...it's that they won't pay twenty full stop.

So what brings in more money - 200 extra students a week at £10 a game, or no students at £20.

I'd also expect that the away followings are brought down a few by the fact their students have to pay full whack as well.

I thought you'd graduated JSS? :grin: From my experience provided you are a legitimate student the age thing doesn't matter. Last year- despite being some way over 21 I was allowed a student membership but then again my degree lasts longer than 3 years (so even if I had completed it on time I would have been inelligible for student memebership towards the end of it). I haven't contacted the club about my situation this year (I'm still a student despite much older than their limit)- so I'd be interested to find out how lax they are this year. The student thing at Oldham seems a bit weird though- if you are aged between 16 and 19 and in a full-time job you can have a cheap season ticket but if you are over 19 but a student you can't. As someone who is physically supposed to be studying at a place other than his home for over 40 hours a week (without the benefit of student holidays- teachers get more holiday than I do) I would find it hard to get a part-time job but I'm expected to pay more than someone who has a full-time job. However, just because I'm a student means I get in for cheap- what about those who are unemployed, or those over 60 (and getting their pension) but not yet 65 (both of which have to pay full price).

JSS makes a good point I would think considering Manchester has now the biggest university in Europe (and Oldham College has univeristy status) it seems silly that the nearest ground to both where tickets are easy to come by (so excluding PLC and Citeh) make it this hard to get cheap for students. Yes, people will abuse the system (its not hard to make an unrealistic but believeable- if you haven't seen one in ages- student ID) but I would think that quite a few students might come to the odd game at Oldham if they knew they could get in for a £10. Every other ground I've been too accept my student ID as being proof of status as a student, why shouldn't Oldham? Its one of those things personally I think students get quite a bit of stuff for cheap especially considering quite a few seemingly do very little work, have over 20 weeks a year holiday and have plenty of time to get a part time job (or more than one if they were so inclined) but I don't think its right that Oldham don't have the same system as everyone else. So what I'm saying is either every professional football club scraps the discount for anyone over 16 (that includes pensioners- some pensioners earn more money than most people) or every football club has the same rules- students get in cheap (on ID alone) and so do those old enough to get their bus pass.

I thought you'd graduated JSS? :grin: From my experience provided you are a legitimate student the age thing doesn't matter. Last year- despite being some way over 21 I was allowed a student membership but then again my degree lasts longer than 3 years (so even if I had completed it on time I would have been inelligible for student memebership towards the end of it). I haven't contacted the club about my situation this year (I'm still a student despite much older than their limit)- so I'd be interested to find out how lax they are this year. The student thing at Oldham seems a bit weird though- if you are aged between 16 and 19 and in a full-time job you can have a cheap season ticket but if you are over 19 but a student you can't. As someone who is physically supposed to be studying at a place other than his home for over 40 hours a week (without the benefit of student holidays- teachers get more holiday than I do) I would find it hard to get a part-time job but I'm expected to pay more than someone who has a full-time job. However, just because I'm a student means I get in for cheap- what about those who are unemployed, or those over 60 (and getting their pension) but not yet 65 (both of which have to pay full price).

JSS makes a good point I would think considering Manchester has now the biggest university in Europe (and Oldham College has univeristy status) it seems silly that the nearest ground to both where tickets are easy to come by (so excluding PLC and Citeh) make it this hard to get cheap for students. Yes, people will abuse the system (its not hard to make an unrealistic but believeable- if you haven't seen one in ages- student ID) but I would think that quite a few students might come to the odd game at Oldham if they knew they could get in for a £10. Every other ground I've been too accept my student ID as being proof of status as a student, why shouldn't Oldham? Its one of those things personally I think students get quite a bit of stuff for cheap especially considering quite a few seemingly do very little work, have over 20 weeks a year holiday and have plenty of time to get a part time job (or more than one if they were so inclined) but I don't think its right that Oldham don't have the same system as everyone else. So what I'm saying is either every professional football club scraps the discount for anyone over 16 (that includes pensioners- some pensioners earn more money than most people) or every football club has the same rules- students get in cheap (on ID alone) and so do those old enough to get their bus pass.

I actually think there should be a student price season ticket. If you do get a student membership and we get into the play offs, you're in the que behind every ST holder for the away tickets, likewise for big FA cup games etc. This season like the last 2 despite being a student i've stumped up for a full season ticket at full price just to make sure I don't end up in this situation but I don't think it's fair at all. As you have pointed out the 16-19 ST the club offers is a little bit of a farce as those who go straight into full time work, don't need the discount. I very much doubt we will get any support for this though as students have a bad reputation in large due to the number of people who are basically going to uni purely for 'the experience' rather than for a useful degree course. Doing a few hours a week and spending the rest of the time hungover and pissing away your loan shouldn't entitle you to discounts such as this in my opinion, but how do you decide who is deserving?

I thought you'd graduated JSS? :grin:

Masters...need to avoid getting a job for as long as possible :wink::lol:

Agree on everything rudemedic says...though I'd question Leyland's logic of buying an ST just to avoid queues for a hypothetical playoff game, barring Celebration Sunday I'd be surprised if there's been a game in the last who knows how many years where a Tics fan who's wanted to get a ticket hasn't been able to...

The system is daft - a student card should be enough to secure concessionary admission, end of. I don't mind paying for my membership (it effectively equates to probably just over a quid per home game I can make), but the sad thing is that if I want to bring friends to games then I'll always take them to away games as they can't justify (and nor could I) paying twenty quid for L1 football on a student budget.

The form reads:

a intermediary season ticket is only for ages 16 to 19 and i find this confusing why it isnt 16 to 21. the student membership you speak of here therefore encourages students older than 19 to pay concessionary rates rather than pay for an adult season ticket. surely latics should change the intermediary season ticket age to 16 to 21 so it is more likely we have more season ticket holders?

Yeah but it's not a case of who wants to pay a tenner a game, it's who can afford it. My point isn't that students would rather pay a tenner but will still pay twenty...it's that they won't pay twenty full stop.

So what brings in more money - 200 extra students a week at £10 a game, or no students at £20.

I'd also expect that the away followings are brought down a few by the fact their students have to pay full whack as well.

part time job

2 hours work at £5 an hour.

problem solved.

end of thread.

next....

despite being 28 at the time I emailed Alan Hardy about this, stated I could provide proof I was in full-time eduaction etc.. Alan was very accomodating and provided me with the membership for the 05/06 season. The year after, I was a little more flushed and renewed my lapsed ST which I've done since. What i'm trying to say is email AH, provide him with the evidence and he'll get back to you. He actually rang me to discuss my situation which I thought was a nice touch.

Thanks for this Prozac, I emailed AH yesterday to ask him to clarify the situation and explaining mine, and he replied this morning saying they'd be happy to still give me student membership this year. What a top guy.

part time job

problem solved.

end of thread.

next....

Completely missing the point.

Thanks for this Prozac, I emailed AH yesterday to ask him to clarify the situation and explaining mine, and he replied this morning saying they'd be happy to still give me student membership this year. What a top guy.

Completely missing the point.

First point- nice one I'll get on to AH when I go back to uni (in 4 weeks) about my membership. Second point- was someone I thought was fishing so I didn't bother responding (as they had blatantly not read my post about how hard I work whilst I'm studying)

part time job

problem solved.

end of thread.

next....

A part time job while full time at uni/college.... When would you sleep / live life ?

Wasnt that long ago I was at uni and I dont remember it being party time like some people say. It was bloody hard.