Youngest squad in years

We've only two players over 30. Rubes (30) Greegs (35) average age of the squad based on the 26 players you would expect to be involved at some point is just under 23. This must be the youngest squad we've had since Andy Ritchie's 3 years in charge or possibly the season we were in Admin?

We have pace throughout the team, except at centre-half, there's a good mix in midfield and options wide and there's pace and movement up front. If we can sort the defence out and either boot Brill up the arse or bring in someone in to give him some serious competition we'll be ok. We'll be nowhere near the promotion shake up imo but comfortably mid-table. what I am worried about is a bad start, given how young our squad is and given the amount of trips to London in the first month,(Millwall apart) has traditionally been a Latics graveyard. A bad start coupled with the impatience of our fanbase could be a recipe for disaster.

Excited by Pav and Parker though, he's not played a full 90 minutes yet Parker but already has two assists, a fabulous free-kick and a penalty award under his belt. As for Pav he's improved game on game and scored two good striker's goals which should give him confidence ahead of next Saturday.

Edited by oafcprozac

We've only two players over 30. Rubes (30) Greegs (35) average age of the squad based on the 26 players you would expect to be involved at some point is just under 23. This must be the youngest squad we've had since Andy Ritchie's 3 years in charge or possibly the season we were in Admin?

We have pace throughout the team, except at centre-half, there's a good mix in midfield and options wide and there's pace and movement up front. If we can sort the defence out and either boot Brill up the arse or bring in some serious competition we'll be ok. Nowhere near the promotion shakne up imo but comfortably mid-table. what I am worried about is a bad start, given how young our squad is and given the amount of trips to London in the first month,(Millwall apart) has traditionally been a Latics graveyard.

Excited by Pav and Parker though, he's not played a full 90 minutes yet Parker but already has two assists, a fabulous free-kick and a penalty award under his belt. As for Pav he's improved game on game and scored two good striker's goals which should give him confidence ahead of next Saturday.

You my fellow OWTB poster are talking out of your Ar*e!

This team 6 days before the start of the new season is miles better than the squad we had at this time last year, and I am seriously questioning your motives for the doom and gloom posts and topics. :blink:

You my fellow OWTB poster are talking out of your Ar*e!

This team 6 days before the start of the new season is miles better than the squad we had at this time last year, and I am seriously questioning your motives for the doom and gloom posts and topics. :blink:

Can you even read Kyle? There's nothing doom and gloom about that post. Don't try the wind-up bollocks with me and i'll look forward to your sack the manager posts. End of September shall we say... :grin:

Can you even read Kyle? There's nothing doom and gloom about that post. Don't try the wind-up bollocks with me and i'll look forward to your sack the manager posts. End of September shall we say... :grin:

Mid Table? Thats like saying theres 12 teams better than us in this league, I am asking you which 12 are you thinking of?

Kyle, it's not all doom and gloom however, if you were to build a house you could have all the fancy facing bricks you like and the best triple glazed windows, but if your foundations failed it would all crash down! see the picture most are painting?

Mid Table? Thats like saying theres 12 teams better than us in this league, I am asking you which 12 are you thinking of?

Just ignore Kyle Prozac... he usually goes away then.

I agree with Prozac. We're looking fragile already at the back, and yesterday should have been a closer look at how we'll be when the real deal starts next week. We've practically got the same back line, but with a more flimsy goalkeeper. Which means we will have to score quite a few goals to be winning games.

I think our saving grace, and possibly what may mean we have a promotion pop, is the division is fairly weak from what I see. I don't buy it being "The strongest league in ages", there's a few 'names' in there but for every Leicester that falls down here, there's plenty of others who struggle.

From what I saw against Middlesborough, I liked the tempo played. Tempo's good, and it's what feeds my addiction to football, and probably the sole reason that last season just snuffed out any sort of enthusiasm I had over the summer. Teams in this division fall like a deck of cards when you throw some high tempo at them so the more often we do this, the less we'll have to worry about a questionable defence. It does need sorting however.

Kyle, it's not all doom and gloom however, if you were to build a house you could have all the fancy facing bricks you like and the best triple glazed windows, but if your foundations failed it would all crash down! see the picture most are painting?

I see what people are saying and everyone is quick to condemn but their not as forthcoming with solutions.

I believe one player would sort out our defence believe it or not and that also includes the goalkeeper.

I think Greegan and Hazel at times defend to deep and invite trouble on to them.

If a mistake is made between our two centre backs then the oppo usually are on the edge of the box already giving the keeper an instant 1 on 1.

Also with Gregan reverting to zonal marking on some set pieces and not being one of our quickest players he lets people slip to easily.

But then on the other hand when we do zonal defend especially on corners we crowd the six yard box and end up with the keeper being penned in and confusion on whos going for what.

The Answer is a centre back with pace who can mop up behind Gregan and meaning we can defend higher up the pitch.

Gregan and hazel play too far apart and haven’t got a great understanding to play like that.

Kyle, we've got pretty much a new team, and a young one at that. They'll take time to gel which means I fully expect this to be a transitional season with equal highs and lows that imo equates to mid-table and tbh I'd be satisfied with that. Allow DP to make tweaks here and there next summer and go for an all out assault in season 10/11/ What I want to see this season is the fanbase fully behind DP and none of the bollocks we saw Ronnie Moore go through from October onwards.

What I want to see this season is the fanbase fully behind DP and none of the bollocks we saw Ronnie Moore go through from October onwards.

Dream on.

Would you sack a manager with the team on the edge of the playoffs?

We did, with the full backing of the fanbase and board. Twice.

Dream on.

Would you sack a manager with the team on the edge of the playoffs?

We did, with the full backing of the fanbase and board. Twice.

As I have said previously OS, I wasn't Ronnie's biggest fan but I believed he deserved a second season. As for Shez he should have got until the end of the season, where the situation rightly should have been reviewed. DP should be given 3-4 years minimum to be allowed to build a squad. The constant chopping and changing of team and manager is partly to blame for our soon to be 13 seasons in the third tier.

As I have said previously OS, I wasn't Ronnie's biggest fan but I believed he deserved a second season. As for Shez he should have got until the end of the season, where the situation rightly should have been reviewed. DP should be given 3-4 years minimum to be allowed to build a squad. The constant chopping and changing of team and manager is partly to blame for our soon to be 13 seasons in the third tier.

Totally agree with this Prozac, however I've come to terms with the fact that managers just aren't going to get 3/4 years to build the squad. Nothing personal against Penney, but I'd be very surprised if he gets more than 2 years if he can't get us promoted given the rate clubs in general have been sacking their managers in recent times.

Totally agree with this Prozac, however I've come to terms with the fact that managers just aren't going to get 3/4 years to build the squad. Nothing personal against Penney, but I'd be very surprised if he gets more than 2 years if he can't get us promoted given the rate clubs in general have been sacking their managers in recent times.

I agree with the Ronnie Moore comment but disagree with the sheridan comment :wink:

The only part of the squad that worries me is central defence. I'd have hoped after the problems we had last season, this would have been realised and rectified this season.

Kyle, we've got pretty much a new team, and a young one at that. They'll take time to gel which means I fully expect this to be a transitional season with equal highs and lows that imo equates to mid-table and tbh I'd be satisfied with that.

thankfully our manager and owners are aiming a bit higher.

Kyle, we've got pretty much a new team, and a young one at that. They'll take time to gel which means I fully expect this to be a transitional season with equal highs and lows that imo equates to mid-table and tbh I'd be satisfied with that.

satisfied with mid table? really?

im glad you are not Corney, Penney or a player :mmm:

.... As for Shez he should have got until the end of the season, where the situation rightly should have been reviewed...

I think we all know that the reason Shez was sacked wasn't just about results. If he hadn't lost control of the dressing room he'd have been around till the end of the season.

Seriourly lads, am I the only one here who thinks with a few tweaks here and there at the back, and a little luck..we could be promotion contenders!!!!??? Having said that, being oldham, I fully expect us finish in mid-table, or even flirt with relegation :)

Edited by laticsmad

Seriourly lads, am I the only one here who thinks with a few tweaks here and there at the back, and a little luck..we could be promotion contenders!!!!??? Having said that, being oldham, I fully expect us finish in mid-table, or even flirt with relegation :)

could happen,

as i said on paper we look a mid table team, but then again players who used to be crap may become stars, players who were stars could become flops, depends on how they play and how other teams play, but in this division we always have a chance of promotion!

I honestly believe like the majority of fans that we need to replace Greegs, Rubes and Brill. We already have Fleming who in my opinion is alot better than Brill.

Trotters on loan would be great but unless we act fast we are guarenteed to concede 2 goals a game with the 3 clowns i mentioned. I was one of Hazells biggest fans when he first came he was a steal and a player who always gave 100% , now it seems his confidence has totally gone and him and Gregan dont seem to comunicate what so ever , i would never have took Gregan back, he is petulant,slow and he may read the game well at times but he will often mistime his tackles by minutes because of his size.

The signings Penney has made make perfect sense to me, iam happy with them and they will do a job for us in this division, however unless we sort out the defence it wont matter if Abbott and Parker score 40 between them we will still struggle.

We look on paper to be carrying far more goal threat and also should be harder to dominate in the midfield than last season, and with the majority of the back line the same that took us close to play offs last season. All it needs is for Rubes, Gregan and Brill to get their act together, they aren’t rubbish players all of a sudden, and we should be able to challenge. That said none of us would be upset to see a player like Trottman come in but they don’t grow on trees.