Our New Stadium

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bars (which serve decent beer not the sort of :censored: you used to get in the Royle Bar- where Newcy Brown was the best option). Better Catering faciliites- doesn't have to be much just not run out of pies before half time.

Oh and in response to the smokers- smoke free toilets. If you can't last 2 hours without needing a cig then maybe you should stay at home- you manage at work, you manage when you go out somewhere else which is non-smoking so why can't you :censored: manage at football. I don't want to have to wade through a plume of smoke just so I can spend a penny thank you. That said a smoking area in a football ground shouldn't be hard to organise- its not like a whole bunch of the concourse area at BP isn't more open to the elements than some smoking areas elsewhere.

So, what you're honestly saying is a ground in Failsworth, within the Borough of Oldham but that just happens to have an M postcode is NOT ok, but one somewhere the other side of Rochdale that happens to have an OL postcode would be fine?

:clown:

So, what you're honestly saying is a ground in Failsworth, within the Borough of Oldham but that just happens to have an M postcode is NOT ok, but one somewhere the other side of Rochdale that happens to have an OL postcode would be fine?

:clown:

I think ALL Latics fans (few in hand) are in denial, we will be a MANCHESTER TEAM, teams are named after THE PLACE THEY ARE SITUATED.

I think ALL Latics fans (few in hand) are in denial, we will be a MANCHESTER TEAM, teams are named after THE PLACE THEY ARE SITUATED.

violent-smiley-1461.gif

Oldham Hornets and Oldham AFC party-smiley-565.gif

hope that doesn't mean with a OL postcode I grew up an Oldhamer :ranting:

What do you actually know of the history of Oldham? Chadd, Shaw, Royton and lots of other places were not parts of Oldham until fairly recently. Moorside was just a few houses on the A62 to Yorkshire when Latics were founded.

Bacup, Whitworth, Heywood and Rochdale have never been part of Oldham, but they've all got Oldham postcodes.

Do you know why some places have one postcode rather than another?

Because someone at the Post office decided to do it that way. They didn't care about towns, places, names or anything else, it was just convenient.

There is so much nonsense and re-written history coming out from some people it's frankly ridiculous.

If you want OAFC to stay in "Odham", then it should be within what was "Oldham" when the club was founded.

Beal valley or Salmon fields is out, so's Sholver, Limeside/Limehurst is out, so is Hollinwood (part of Chadderton originally). Go on, make a list of sites within what was "proper" Oldham in 1895, let's see what we've got as options. And let's see what the people of "proper" Oldham have done for the club over the last 15 years too.

Edited by real

Beal valley or Salmon fields is out, so's Sholver, Limeside/Limehurst is out, so is Hollinwood (part of Chadderton originally).

So I am not from Oldham :) Nice one I can go and support a team that wins and not feel guilty :lol:

Edited by oafc0000

There's a decently sized expanse of brownfield site very near me (or more precise my parent's), good motorway access, the local residents won't complain that much- (no allotment holders for starters) as the alternative is a landfill and it has an OL postcode.

However despite it being 5 minutes walk (and that's being overly cautious) away from where my parents live I wouldn't want it to be the site of Oldham's new ground as the OL postcode it has is OL10, for those not familiar with postcodes that's Heywood. Heywood is part of Rochdale (although it was seperate for a decent period of time) and is seen as a bit of a joke between Rochdalians and Buryites. Post codes are not as crucial for a town's identity as you might think (for example if you post a letter to anywhere near the centre of Manchester- you are supposed to call it Lancashire, not Manchester). If those people who live in Failsworth identify themselves as being from Oldham (I think they might) then they are part of Oldham- it doesn't matter what they're postcode says. I'm sure the people of Bacup, anywhere in Rochdale and Heywood don't indentify themselves as being part of Oldham but according to the psot office they are. Its only the fact that Oldham is marginally bigger than Rochdale that the BP's post code is OL1 (otherwise it would be RC16 , or something).

Postcodes don't matter to a location to anyone other than the post office- I would much rather have Oldham's ground in the proposed location than almost all the alternatives that just happen to have a OL postcode.

real has explained to you about postcodes being fintended to make it easier to sorti letters, rather than establishing geographical, local government, Parliamentary or any other boundaries.

So you are really saying the Club should never have been called 'Oldham', it should have been 'Coldhurst Athletic' because BP is in that Ward of the original County Borough. The proposed stadium site is in the part of Failsworth which is in the Oldham Metropolitan Borough and the Club will pay its business rates to Oldham Council. The allotment land is owned by Oldham Council. The Manchester boundary is several hundred yards further down Oldham Road past Broadway. Eastlands is less distance from the Tameside Borough boundary than Lancaster Park is from the City of Manchester boundary.

Following your reasoning, as ManUre's ground name confirms its Trafford Borough location, that club should be known as Trafford United. After all it was known as Newton Heath when the club played in Manchester.

The only people in situation denial over the proposed stadium move are those who think the postcode determines everything. Their logic makes the Pirelli Stadium, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire in Derby, Derbyshire. :lol1:

Those wanting to stop watching Latics in the future should drop the postcode argument and look for another reason. Let's have no more of this misinformation which is pathetic.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns