Penney speaks more sense

I haven't seen that thread so apologies therefore cannot quote on its validity, Its not the fans that go week in week out. I don't think the town is enthused or sees the club as something that they should be involved in or loyal to, which is maybe different than i other such towns.

Maybe new facilities will help get the people of oldham more enthused and feeling part of the club rather than it just exiting in parallel to the town and its every day existence.

Sorry mean't existing that exiting might be more apt :wink:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, let's trot out the Joe Royle argument again. One that belongs in an entirely different era, full of feats it's increasingly impossible to repeat.

Was money really thrown at promotion in recent seasons? As was argued over many times last season, one moment we're told that we have a large playing budget, the next it's 'the fouth smallest in the division' or some such. Then it supposedly goes up a few notches with the arrival of a few has-beens and rejects (er, I mean loan signings.) The argument changes with the wind. Personally, I always thought playing budgets were set at the beginning of a season, not altered up or downwards as the season progresses, depending on what suits the prevailing reality.

'£10 million (where's this figure come from?) is not overly cautious'? It depends what you're talking about. It seems that this (abitrary) sum is to be spent on a small stadium with lower division football in mind. That's caution, whichever way you look at it.

The tragedy of the Chris Moore period is that he didn't see the job through (and that he wasn't worth £400 million as opposed to £40m). His time represented, with hindsight, the last chance to get out of this division and consolidate a poistion in the Championship.

£10m is merely an opinion (not fact!) of how much the TTA has sepnt thus far on Oldham.

Of course, it has not worked, thus far.

Let me get this straight. When you said:

QUOTE (Corporal_Jones @ Aug 6 2009, 10:42 AM)

many hard core fans have come to see the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley as clubs we can't really hope to compete with

that wasn't presented as a fact?!!?

No-as I've already explained.

Has it been designated 'Morons Thursday' where you work, Pete?

Wsn't about $7 million of that spent on acquiring the club and its assets?

My best guesses based on various snippets of info since TTA arrived:

Approximately 7 million to aquire the club and ground/surrounding land.

Up to 1 million frittered away on ultimately failed development plans.

At a conservative estimate, 1 million a season to keep the club running in the first 3 years or so and half a million a season since.

I make that about 12 million.

5 million of which is just to stand still.

My best guesses based on various snippets of info since TTA arrived:

Approximately 7 million to aquire the club and ground/surrounding land.

Up to 1 million frittered away on ultimately failed development plans.

At a conservative estimate, 1 million a season to keep the club running in the first 3 years or so and half a million a season since.

I make that about 12 million.

5 million of which is just to stand still.

Stop making sense Garcon

It looks increasingly like it to me.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

Too many tentative decisions since then have certainly held us back, but you have given us a lot of puzzling evidence about many of the failings you see in the current set up.

I haven't seen that thread so apologies therefore cannot quote on its validity, Its not the fans that go week in week out. I don't think the town is enthused or sees the club as something that they should be involved in or loyal to, which is maybe different than i other such towns.

Maybe new facilities will help get the people of oldham more enthused and feeling part of the club rather than it just exiting in parallel to the town and its every day existence.

The main reason why those other clubs get considerably bigger attendances than Latics is that they have done considerably better on the pitch. When the bad times come their supposed 'massive fan bases' seem to somehow melt away.

New facilities might interest a few in the short-term but will not make any difference whatsoever to attendances long-term unless accompanied by some success on the pitch.

Too many tentative decisions since then have certainly held us back, but you have given us a lot of puzzling evidence about many of the failings you see in the current set up.

I haven't pretended to present evidence, just opinion and observation based on what I see and the limited information available to ordinary fans.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The main reason why those other clubs get considerably bigger attendances than Latics is that they have done considerably better on the pitch. When the bad times come their supposed 'massive fan bases' seem to somehow melt away.

New facilities might interest a few in the short-term but will not make any difference whatsoever to attendances long-term unless accompanied by some success on the pitch.

I agree with that, in isolation none of the supposed remedies will work, but if we can have a half decent run in new facilities then we may have the foundations that could allow a snowball effect to gather pace. If we have the facilities and nothing else going on then the assumption would be that new interest in the club and being part of it would dwindle.

However we need a team with a chance of success and the facilities to attract the players , fans and income that could lead to some partial success(a cup run if not imediate promotion) to allow any momentum to gather pace and hopefully take us forward.

I haven't pretended to present evidence, just opinion and observation based on what I see and the limited information available to ordinary fans.

there was me reading through this thread of pennys common sense approach to the new season,not wanting to heap piles of pressure on the team so they can relax gel and play as one,and see where we end up.

and once again the corp is here attempting yet another hijack of a thread with his 1 song drum beat.....really is getting tiresome and somewhat irksome to have to keep reading the same monotone depressive content on every thread someone trys to produce....

we get it corp,you wont be happy..get over it and move on....

No. Although, of course, the decline over the last fifteen years results in shifting perceptions of 'happy days.'

True enough. And I have to admit I'm impatient for a bit more of the success I remember from all those years ago. In fact, those memories can't wait.

there was me reading through this thread of pennys common sense approach to the new season,not wanting to heap piles of pressure on the team so they can relax gel and play as one,and see where we end up.

and once again the corp is here attempting yet another hijack of a thread with his 1 song drum beat.....really is getting tiresome and somewhat irksome to have to keep reading the same monotone depressive content on every thread someone trys to produce....

we get it corp,you wont be happy..get over it and move on....

It isn't a hijack, in that Penney's comments are, as others have noted, clearly along the lines of what's been coming out of the club for most of our time in this division.

For people like you, 'Ed' anything that isn't what you wish to hear appears to be a hijack. Personally, I doubt if you'd notice a hijack if a chap of Middle Eastern appearance with a plastic knife in his hand was sweating profusely in the next seat to you on a plane flying over the USA.

Ignore me if you don't like it and read the posts you do like.

True enough. And I have to admit I'm impatient for a bit more of the success I remember from all those years ago. In fact, those memories can't wait.

I'd have thought we were making more of a go of it if we'd signed that left back from Wolves to a permanent deal, what was his name again?