Penney speaks more sense

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like his sensible "lets get 52 points" and then review strategy... Easy for a new emerging team to put too much pressure on itself...

DP has grown on me big time since his appointment... He sure talks a lot of sense that's for sure, just hope the on the pitch product is just as good.

"If you look at the history for the last two seasons Oldham have started very well but, after the Christmas period, they've tailed off. So we're hoping that doesn't happen again.

A few people have said this but if we're being pedantic it's not the last two seasons. It's two season sandwiching a poor 2007/2008 season where we got only 4 odd league wins before christmas and performed much better in the second half of the season. Obviously the starting off very well then doing crap is only applicable to 2006/2007 and 2008/2009.

Interesting that he talks of having younger players to last the season. Obviously you have a problem with someone like Charlton who really did look to have blown his final gasket but I thought it was the received wisdom that you more often need players in at least mid 20s usually to get a consistent full season out of them? There aren’t many Neal Eardleys who can play so many games as a teenager without tiring or putting a foot wrong.

I agree - lets have a "Season of Progression" mk IV.

About ten of the last thirteen seasons have been declared 'seasons of progression' or 'seasons of consolidation.' It's why the club has got to a stage where it's begun to plan for a permanent lower division existence (little stadium), and why many hard core fans have come to see the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley as clubs we can't really hope to compete with, and Bolton, Preston, Burnley and Blackburn (to name only local examples of clubs we comfortably competed with for a generation) as untouchable giants.

In 1997 (or '94?) the club embarked on the road to nowhere.

I like his sensible "lets get 52 points" and then review strategy... Easy for a new emerging team to put too much pressure on itself...

DP has grown on me big time since his appointment... He sure talks a lot of sense that's for sure, just hope the on the pitch product is just as good.

As long as we are not still looking for the 52 points in April or May, I suppose!!!

But yes, lets not over or under hype things.