Neal Eardley update - Interesting & Fee confirmation ?

Guest FyldeBlue

Guest FyldeBlue

Billy Clarke, another of Holloway's signings, made his debut from the bench, though Neal Eardley – signed from Oldham 24 hours before kick-off – was an unused substitute.

The right-back will have to wait for his chance because he will miss tomorrow's Carling Cup tie at Crewe because of international duty with Wales.

David Vaughan, who passed a fitness test on a knee injury and started at QPR, is also in the Wales squad for the friendly in Montenegro.

Asked why he didn't select Eardley, who at £350,000 is the club's most expensive signing after Adam, Holloway explained: "I couldn't really start him because he had only trained with us for the first time the day before.

"The plan now is to work with Eardley and see how we get on. We all have to learn about each other but I'm pleased we have signed Eardley.

Hopefully he will become a sellable asset and a good player for us.

"He likes to get forward and he passes the ball well, which I like because I believe the first part of defending is attacking well.

"We didn't do that well enough on Saturday. I believe we could have hurt them a lot more had we kept the ball better. Eardley will certainly do that."

Even more interesting, Blackpool have designs on making money on Neil.... :shock:

Billy Clarke, another of Holloway's signings, made his debut from the bench, though Neal Eardley – signed from Oldham 24 hours before kick-off – was an unused substitute.

The right-back will have to wait for his chance because he will miss tomorrow's Carling Cup tie at Crewe because of international duty with Wales.

David Vaughan, who passed a fitness test on a knee injury and started at QPR, is also in the Wales squad for the friendly in Montenegro.

Asked why he didn't select Eardley, who at £350,000 is the club's most expensive signing after Adam, Holloway explained: "I couldn't really start him because he had only trained with us for the first time the day before.

"The plan now is to work with Eardley and see how we get on. We all have to learn about each other but I'm pleased we have signed Eardley.

Hopefully he will become a sellable asset and a good player for us.

"He likes to get forward and he passes the ball well, which I like because I believe the first part of defending is attacking well.

"We didn't do that well enough on Saturday. I believe we could have hurt them a lot more had we kept the ball better. Eardley will certainly do that."

Even more interesting, Blackpool have designs on making money on Neil.... :shock:

It's called 'Business Acumen'.

Something in which we seem to be lacking, at the moment.

Classic local journalism. Use "a fee believed to be in the region of £350,000" in the signing article (no doubt having made it up), then treat it as fact in subsequent pieces.

The biggest problem we had ws that Neal's contract was up in the summer - if he had two or three years on it I suspect somewhere close to £1m would have been a fair fee ... IF anyone out there was willing to pay that for a young full back of course.

As it is, based on various bits of speculation and nothing more, I suspect the deal is somewhere between £300k plus add-ons (which hopefully include a sell-on percentage) and £600k flat (no add-ons). In the circumstances, if I'm right, then I think that's a fair price.

And if Blackpool do make a fortune on him then good on them and shame on the Latics boo boys who thought he ws worth nowt (but are probably now amongst those claiming we've been robbed... :wink: )

Edited by garcon

Course we have been jipped hes worth far more than 350k im very suprised we have caved in and accepted that. Why Delph is worth 6 million and shelvey at Charlton is valued at 8 million after a small amount of games is beyond me. Wouldnt be suprised if we sold Taylor for 500k it seems you have to be a big club like Leeds to over price a player.

Neals played a host of games and is a full international at 20 and we have accepted peanuts for him if the reported fee is true, there have been no mention of add on and clauses too which makes it even worse

Course we have been jipped hes worth far more than 350k im very suprised we have caved in and accepted that. Whfuy Delph is worth 6 million and shelvey at Charlton is valued at 8 million after a small amount of games is beyond me. Wouldnt be suprised if we sold Taylor for 500k it seems you have to be a big club like Leeds to over price a player.

Neals played a host of games and is a full international at 20 and we have accepted peanuts for him if the reported fee is true, there have been no mention of add on and clauses too which makes it even worse

We have sold him to the highest bidder for his services. It is common knowledge he was for sale and nobody wanted to give us £1m. Ignore the Delph fee. Fees paid by Premiership clubs bear no relation to what a lower level Championship team can afford.

I am sure if they could have got more from him TTA would have. The Eardley fee reduces the amount of their own money that they have to use to fund our losses.

And if we are on for say 20% we will get a tidy £140k on top. I would think the deal is full of add ons.

Now, surely Wrexham are due 20% of those add ons (if there are any), as it is part of the fee we sold him for.

I too would be surprised if it isn't full of add ons as these can become much more valuable to a club like ours if players succeed, and they cost the original purchaser (Blackpool) very little in terms of risk.

the real price was 600k what i got told from a insider at oafc with no sell on clause

Just repeating what you heard doesn't verify it y'know... :wink:

If it's true - and it's £600k up front - then I'm fairly happy.

Would have preferred £400k plus add-ons if I'm honest, but that extra 200 grand in the bank now would be tempting.

the real price was 600k what i got told from a insider at oafc with no sell on clause

I still think the best 'insider' to have would be a Wrexham one, as they won't have signed anything with regards to keeping things quiet. But I don't have one at Oldham, never mind Wrexham. I could make one up though, if it helps.

Just repeating what you heard doesn't verify it y'know... :wink:

If it's true - and it's £600k up front - then I'm fairly happy.

Would have preferred £400k plus add-ons if I'm honest, but that extra 200 grand in the bank now would be tempting.

yeah ofc i can only say what he told me

It's obviously a lot harder to negotiate a good fee for someone who wantes to leave knowing that that they can go for nowt in the New Year, but 350k does seem low. If there is a sell on clasue though, I 'd be relatively happy.

I suppose it depends if Hudds and Coventry were really in the running.

Edited by singe