Moving to London

Nervous_Tic

Good day,

So I have just been offered a job in Chiswick, and as such in the next few weeks I shall be making the all-too-familiar migration from the north to live in the Capital.

One quandry that needs answering is where might be best to live? Figured Chiswick itself is a bit pricey/posh, but I've been advised so far that areas such as Ealing, Acton, Fulham & Putney are good and link well to Chiswick via the tube/overground for commuting. I've already looked at a number of websites and seen the abundance of properties in these areas, and of course I can always move about a bit to find an area I like most, but just wondered if the London dwellers on here could give me any advice on good/bad places that I should bear in mind?

Secondly, I have a season ticket. Do many people live in London/the south and have a season ticket plus get to enough games to make it worthwhile? And if so is there a system of lift sharing/meeting up on trains for getting to BP?

Any useful info would be greatly appreciated, as would any smart remarks about how I've already missed half our London away games this season.

:)

Cheers

I was hoping Chiswick was easily reached from Clapham Junction, but it seems not, so my thoughts of advice are not immediately much good. Don't think about being too close anyway, miles off travel and avoidance of grimness/cost/time really don't have to correlate. PM me your current email address and I will see if I can get any extra local knowledge...

I work in Putney. I pass a few estate agents on my way to the office... my word. Different financial world.

If you're young, free and single, get yourself a houseshare and make the most of it.

This is exactly my line of thinking.

My former housemate in Manchester now lives in Putney and seems to enjoy it.

Putney's alreyt, plus it's only 5 minutes from Clapham Junction. To be honest, I don't think you can go wrong anywhere around there - Fulham, Barnes, Putney, Wandsworth, Battersea... plenty of choice, and all a piece of piss to get to and from Chiswick.

It's only 15 minutes on the train :huh:

Not if you start the journey at 38 minutes past midnight it isn't :dunce::shy::getmecoat: Must remember to alter the details on the journey planner next time... That opens up loads more options of coming in from the South and out again.

Mind out for Croydon though NT. Full of pikey chavscum.

Congratulations Andy,we`re pleased for you.Down south sounds good compared to Rossendale today,all the dingle fans giving it large.Wouldn`t you credit it the one time I want Utd to win and that happens.Cruel.See you Satday.

Good day,

So I have just been offered a job in Chiswick, and as such in the next few weeks I shall be making the all-too-familiar migration from the north to live in the Capital.

One quandry that needs answering is where might be best to live? Figured Chiswick itself is a bit pricey/posh, but I've been advised so far that areas such as Ealing, Acton, Fulham & Putney are good and link well to Chiswick via the tube/overground for commuting. I've already looked at a number of websites and seen the abundance of properties in these areas, and of course I can always move about a bit to find an area I like most, but just wondered if the London dwellers on here could give me any advice on good/bad places that I should bear in mind?

Secondly, I have a season ticket. Do many people live in London/the south and have a season ticket plus get to enough games to make it worthwhile? And if so is there a system of lift sharing/meeting up on trains for getting to BP?

Any useful info would be greatly appreciated, as would any smart remarks about how I've already missed half our London away games this season.

:)

Cheers

If you think Chiswick is a little posh, Putney & Putney can be just the same ;)

To be fair, I might be moving out that way at the moment. As long as you are near an overland line to the West (anywhere near Clapham J, Wandsworth Town, Putney etc) you'll be fine.

As for the season ticket, I had mine last year and the year before. I used it a lot last year and very little the year before. When it is that far it is better to pick and choose. Otherwise you will count the cost of a very expensive season*

*This does depend on how much beer money you need. When you come to a London game, you will see exactly what I mean - just ask Zorro. He's such a bad influence!!!

Most expensive beer in London (so far) - can of Red Stripe at the Globe Theatre: £5. For a can.

Mind you, my local does Hoegaarden at £5 a pint, and that's bloody expensive too.

I remember being in the Globe once. Not cheap. Two JD's and Coke and a beer was somewhere in the region of £25. Not fun. Great venue though

Oh yeah. We went the other week. Chucked it down with rain, but we had seats. Great night.

The Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park is also brilliant when the weather's good. As is the Stella film season at Somerset House.

I'm just hoping the weather holds out for Griffin Park next weekend.

*This does depend on how much beer money you need. When you come to a London game, you will see exactly what I mean - just ask Zorro. He's such a bad influence!!!

Err. You and BigFin are the bad uns.

Corbett and Nuttall aren't exactly innocent either.

Corbett and Nuttall aren't exactly innocent either.

Bringing the North into the argument, calling for back-up ;)

Err. You and BigFin are the bad uns.

Now you're on the money... although it is you who is encouraging Brentford due to your "free pass" ;)

Bringing the North into the argument, calling for back-up ;)

Now you're on the money... although it is you who is encouraging Brentford due to your "free pass" ;)

An argument about bad influences and I don't merit a mention? Well, I won't take it personally, I clearly need to respond in a positive manner and raise my game :naughty:

On a related note, I'm down in London over the bank holiday weekend tying in a trip to Griffin Park with a search for somewhere to live from mid-late September. If anyone on here knows of anyone with a room going spare or any sort of lead at all it would be appreciated!

On a related note, I'm down in London over the bank holiday weekend tying in a trip to Griffin Park with a search for somewhere to live from mid-late September. If anyone on here knows of anyone with a room going spare or any sort of lead at all it would be appreciated!

Sam did have a room going at his place, but I think you are lacking in some of the attributes that would have helped you get onto the shortlist :wink: . Do you still have that link to the flat sharing website I sent you? If you get on that a week before you are down you should be able to line up some places to look at. Much better than going through agencies, who are pricks to a man/woman.

Sam did have a room going at his place, but I think you are lacking in some of the attributes that would have helped you get onto the shortlist :wink: . Do you still have that link to the flat sharing website I sent you? If you get on that a week before you are down you should be able to line up some places to look at. Much better than going through agencies, who are pricks to a man/woman.

Was that the easyroommate.com one? Will be having a look this week, trying to sort it all out...where to go and when etc.

Ha. London is a different world financially. Been renting here for ten years, looking to buy now & having to look further and further out.

Have you looked at buying in Croxley Green, up the Watford branch of the Met Line.

Fast trains into London and close to Watford for the train to Manc, 2 1/2 Hrs now there's no direct trains, bstards. Still faster than driving though.