BeckfordsRightFoot asks "Is Penney the right man for the job?"

1. It's his team

2. The signings are,on the whole, poor.

3. The style of play is generally accepted to be poor.

4. The crowds are dropping already.

5. We are out of a cup competition already.

6. Questionable player judgement. Brill over Fleming?

BeckfordsRightFoot challenges "loyal Latics fans" to disagree with any of his points.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It's his NEW team -

2. The signings are,on the whole, poor. Some are, some aren't, they may improve.

3. The style of play is generally accepted to be poor. Bollocks, we've played some good stuff so far

4. The crowds are dropping already. 2 home games in?????

5. We are out of a cup competition already. Like we were at this stage in 97, 98, 99, 03, 05, 06...

6. Questionable player judgement. Brill over Fleming? I agree with this but that imo is more Collett's judgement than Penney's and may be a budget issue.

BeckfordsRightFoot challenges "loyal Latics fans" to disagree with any of his points.

If a thread like this is being started when we aren't even out of August, then no manager at Oldham, not even Jose bloody Mourinho would have any backing or encouragement.

It would be wrong and stupid to say this so early in the season. Give the man some time. And when I say time, that means at least a season, not at least a few games.

Edited by ste1987

1. It's his team ..... yes and point being?

2. The signings are,on the whole, poor. Nope, some are not performing as well I expected them to ... so far

3. The style of play is generally accepted to be poor. Rubbish, enjoyed it far better than a long time under Shez

4. The crowds are dropping already. Well yes, this weekends home crowd was less than that of the other home game

5. We are out of a cup competition already. ah well

6. Questionable player judgement. Brill over Fleming? Nope, thought Brills been ok so far (didn't see sat game)

........ sits back and awaitings to see what/who Beckford chooses to lay into next :unsure:

1. It's his team. And brand new

2. The signings are,on the whole, poor. 8 new signings, even Fergie could not get it right 100% of the time. Fergie signed Michael Clegg...3. The style of play is generally accepted to be poor. What I've seens ays good for a lot of the time, but some mistakes by the sme 2 players are costing us

4. The crowds are dropping already. Compared to what? It's the sumemr holidays. Oldham v Swindon last ear was 4,712, the 4th fixture . This time last year we were at home to cheltenham and the att was 4,673. concernign but not end of the world

5. We are out of a cup competition already. But in two others.

6. Questionable player judgement. Brill over Fleming? Who said it was a football decision?

This site needs to be sponsored by the Samaritans.

And typiefies allt he is wrong with the UK, one or two setbacks and the world falls in, so many supporters have no balls and go all wishy washy looking for soemone else to blame at the mereest sign of a problem. Not jsut you BRF.

Edited by singe

1. It's his team

1) Not entirely. He is still stuck with some players from the last regime such as Whittaker, Allesandra, OGrady, Lee, Hazell, all of whom will be on decent money.

2) Disagree, think on the whole his signings have been ok given the budget we have

Brill - Not going to say poor signing, but had we have kept fleming and had two keepers fighting for the no1 spot, I think this would have done Brill the world of good

Jacobson - Jury still out but looked good in pre season

Gregan - Still not decided

Purdie - Not in a position to comment as of yet

Gibert - Brought in on a short term deal as cover for Jacobson, doubt very much he will still be here once jacobson is fit

:censored: - Brought in as cover but good signing

Worthington - Very good signing. Natural leader on the pitch, not shy of a tackle, ball winner, puts in a shift

Furman - Again very good signing. High work rate, box to box midfielder.

Abbott - Class signing, will score goals and given the right partner, provide plenty of assists with his hold up play

Byfield - Again I think he was only signed as striker cover, dont think he will be here too much longer.

Parker - Granted had a bad game on saturday but I dont think RW is his best position

3) Disagree again, we have a plan B this season, the team as a whole work a hell of alot harder than last season,

4) Considering the amount of southern teams in this division and the drop in season ticket sales, this was inevitable.

5) Thats football, you win some you lose some.

6) Dont think its fair to single out Penney here, but since 2000 we have had the following managers.

Ritchie

Wadsworth

Dowie

Talbot

Moore

Shez

Royle

Penney

Name me a manager amongst them who did not from time to time make the wrong decision regarding a player. Was the great Joe Royles treatment of Neil Redfearn not a bit harsh?

BeckfordsRightFoot (And yes, he is talking about himself in the 3rd person now, he has earned this due to the accuracy of his predictions before the start of the season) doesn't rant. He makes well thought out, coherant statements that are 100% accurate. There has yet to be a single legitimate argument to any point he has EVER made.

He is also a fantastic songwriter, a footballing scholar and has the predictive powers of Nostradamus. And once again, he challenges people to dispute even a single one of his points.

1. It's his team

In the main I would agree but would point out that we have a few key players injured, who in Purdie and Jacobsen may make a big difference when they are fit.

I think in the main we have swapped a number of lower league journeymen pro's for a different set of lower league journeymen pro's, I do think though that we have brought in slightly better quality player than has left. I also think Furman will prove to be better than a league 1 player.

I don't really accept that, we look to have a definate game plan with Abbott up front who can control and hold the ball up, if we can get support to him, I think there is still more to come with Purdie and Jacobsen to come in.

Agreed, can't argue with that.

Agreed, can't argue with that.

Agree about Brill/Fleming, but still think the new players brought in look better than those that have left, Furman, Holdsworth, Worthington, Jacobsen and Purdie will prove better than the players they replaced.

I also think Penney hands are tied regarding several players I think he would get rid of now if he could but is lumbered with Lee, Lomax, Alessandra, O'Grady and Stephens.

I'm not sure it's that they're not fans. I think it's just that the default setting of any Oldhamer (Latics fan or not) is "miserable complaining bastard". Praise is given, if at all, grudgingly and never without some barb or other. If we were winning every game 5-0, your average Oldhamer would sooner complain about running out of pies at half time than dare to praise the team... :blink:

Crowds dropping already..

i suppose this couldnt be due to the fact that quite a few latics fans will have left their jobs and saving their pay-off for matters alot more important that latics e.g. feedin their family and making sure they have a roof to live under

Also, its the middle of august, ST holders and fans who come to every other game will be on holiday..

BeckfordsRightFoot (And yes, he is talking about himself in the 3rd person now, he has earned this due to the accuracy of his predictions before the start of the season) doesn't rant. He makes well thought out, coherant statements that are 100% accurate. There has yet to be a single legitimate argument to any point he has EVER made.

He is also a fantastic songwriter, a footballing scholar and has the predictive powers of Nostradamus. And once again, he challenges people to dispute even a single one of his points.

He makes well thought out, coherant statements that are 100% accurate.

BRF, someone has hacked your account, becasue what is up there now is the stupidest post ever, with points that are not in the least bit accurte. I replied to the hackers post by mistake, I am sorry.

Crowds dropping already..

i suppose this couldnt be due to the fact that quite a few latics fans will have left their jobs and saving their pay-off for matters alot more important that latics e.g. feedin their family and making sure they have a roof to live under

Also, its the middle of august, ST holders and fans who come to every other game will be on holiday..

If only this were the reason. It isn't-it's because the patience of a section of the club's hardcore support has reached breaking point after too many false dawns and years of stagnation. The mood is reinforced by the fiasco of the last fifteen years coming directly after years of unprecedented success and hope for the club, which makes the failures so difficult to swallow for some. That's why we all know somebody who was staunch in his support throughout the Frizzell and Royle years and remained so until relatively recently, but is never seen at BP anymore, and is unlikely to be in the forseeable future.

There was, even in the darkest days of Andy Ritchie's skeleton sqaud and the handwringing of the board of directors who appointed him, reason to believe that the club would rise again-if only because things looked like they couldn't get any worse. Somebody would, it was felt, recall the glory years of a short time ago and back the club with the necessary cash. The false dawns since then have put paid to any such hope, and the permanently lower divison joke status which we seem set to embrace will see more fans drift away.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Scroll to the top, and reread the posts back to this point.

That brought a tear to my eye, CJ - it's almost .... Orwellian. :unsure:

I think the truth is - as it often is - somewhere between. There are some still on holiday, there are several more who have taken a purely financial decision having been affected by the recession. Those are the numbers you can do little about - the concern is about the ones who are drifting away as Corp describes. Rather than starting a season with a degree of optimism (and some half decent crowds) we seem to have become more cynical as a fanbase - with larger numbers staying away and waiting for the team to do something special to tempt them back.

Edited by garcon