Dean Brill and Greg Fleming

Guest sheridans_world

Said it during pre season friendlies that Brill didn't look the part but that I would hold off with my final judgement till later. Last week I'd made my mind up that my initial feelings were correct. Said as much on here where the majority feeling was that maybe he still needed a little more time, sadly for Brill like the Labour Party majority this as now collapsed.

Last nights goals on merit awards. The first was not down to Brill. It was a crackingly well placed shot that only a keeper with an impecable sense of positioning and instinct of where a plkayer is going to try would have saved it. The second was embarrassingly horrendous and where my initial fears regarding Brill surfaced. I have never seen a goalkeeper use his hands like weak wristed flappers in all my years at BP like Dean Brill. This is not an isolated occurance but a regular one. The third goal was a very well struck dead ball that flew through Dean Brill. But he built his wall, he choose where to stand (wrong place again that is a regular occurance) and it was him that couldn't co-ordinate his eye to his hand.

As for this half time practice routine. Dean Brill has done this everytime I've seen him play. On Tuesday I watched with interest and I kid you not he missed (not dropped) the first 4 kicks that Josh half volleyed to him. At this point the coach asked Josh to move further back. He went on to drop the next 3!!!. The only ones he caught, he did so without taking cleanly and needed to clutch at the ball twice to bring it into his control or had to pat it down onto the turf to control at the second attempt. This is not a confidence thing, Dean Brill is just in the wrong profession and his skills lie in a different field. I am sure Dean Brill does have a talent elsewhere in life and due to this I wont knock the man.

I will repeat myself from last week. Dave, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say you've got it wrong. This is my judgement made from day one of seeing Dean Brill and not off last nights performance. I too was saddened by the jeers and the chants "you're not fit to wear the shirt" it serves no good purpose however, it's not all down to Dean Brill and the present manager or crop of players, it's over 13 years of hurt. Hope and consequence hope dashed and failure.

Finally. If I ever witness a third time Gregan removes his captains armband and throw it to the ground at half time I want him to hand in his written notice of contract termination.................... I mean that. I cannot stand that at all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i dont get is why sign a keeper who was in a team relegated from LEAGUE 2 ?

Want to give him a chance, but that is a question I've been asking.

Even if Luton hadn't had the 30 points taken off them, I think they would still have finished about 15th in Division Two last season, which is far from impressive.

Let me just add to this debate a counter point. Last night our box was like the alamo just prior to the first and second goals. Hartlepool who hadn't (I think) scored an away goal all season were running through our midfield and onto our box at will. Once it found it's way onto our box, our poor defence couldn't stop them. Then they found our poor keeper!

I thought as soon as Hartlepool picked up that free kick " Its in" and what a surprise.

- Badly placed wall - Furman leaveing a massive gap between him & Blackman (I Think)

- Badly positioned keeper AGAIN! - Always puts himself onto the left post where he should be positioned in the middle so he could make a save!

- Agreed with the fact that Fleming is much better but Joe Royle never showed faith in him & either did Penney it seems!

- One last point, we now have a goalkeeping coach and you would think better keeping but you have to ask What is this coach teaching them and you have to feel sorry for Josh Ollerenshaw who is learning from Brill, we wouldnt want him going the same bad way!

The first was a good strike but down to the fact Gregan didn't close down his man, stood off him watching him and the striker using Gregan's body to block Brill's view, and great finish.

Second no comment if a Sunday League keeper did that he would be hammered!

Third great free kick, stupid free kick given away by Rubes and then Brill not best positioned and didn't even move!

If I was opposition player at moment would try a shot with every free kick!

Come on DP everyone else can see it, it is the keeper and the CB's who are the weakest links and have been since pre-season!

Good point about GK coach, why's he not out with Brill at half time instead of him just practising with Josh!

Edited by oafcforever

Let me just add to this debate a counter point. Last night our box was like the alamo just prior to the first and second goals. Hartlepool who hadn't (I think) scored an away goal all season were running through our midfield and onto our box at will. Once it found it's way onto our box, our poor defence couldn't stop them. Then they found our poor keeper!

Hartlepool's scored 2 away goals before the match. <_<

MK Dons 0 Hartlepool 0

Coventry 0 Hartlepool 1

Gillingham 0 Hartlepool 1

Oldham 0 Hartlepool 3

If your worried about Dean Brill then look no further. Jan Butdz is still looking for a club.

Hartlepool's scored 2 away goals before the match. <_<

MK Dons 0 Hartlepool 0

Coventry 0 Hartlepool 1

Gillingham 0 Hartlepool 1

Oldham 0 Hartlepool 3

If your worried about Dean Brill then look no further. Jan Butdz is still looking for a club.

I stand corrected on the away goals.

As a Pools fan I don't want to upset anyone but I thought it was quite bad how Brill was treated to be honest.

The first and third goal were both good shots and any keeper could have let them in. Should have done better with the second though.

Good luck for the season.

The thing is mate, he conceeded an identical free kick in the last home league game against Swindon..... he isn't learning at all from his mistakes. In fact he was quite luck not to conceed another one last night when he did exactly the same later on!!

Good look for the season too.

Speaking of the third goal, while Brill was lining up the wall and readying his own position, the guy I was sat behind in the RRE was shouting "Brill, you're not leaving enough room for the ball to go past you! Brill you need to leave a bigger gap!", sarcastically speaking from remembering the Swindon free kick....sure enough Brill stood far right (no he's not a Nazi I don't think!) and the ball flew in.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Having seen the goals again Brill can only really be blamed for the 2nd one. The free kick was a rocket and had a latics player hit that we'd have been creaming ourselves about the goal of the season. If he had been stood right in front of it the ball would have dipped and moved straight past him.

Not sure who scored it but I would imagine he'll bag a few this season if he can hit them like that as he almost repeated the trick 10 mins later.

Having seen the goals again Brill can only really be blamed for the 2nd one. The free kick was a rocket and had a latics player hit that we'd have been creaming ourselves about the goal of the season. If he had been stood right in front of it the ball would have dipped and moved straight past him.

Not sure who scored it but I would imagine he'll bag a few this season if he can hit them like that as he almost repeated the trick 10 mins later.

I've not passed sentence on Dean Brill from friday night alone. It's from pre season to now.

I'm not going to suggest Brill is a better keeper than we think, because he clearly has some serious faults in his game, but the first goal was a belting effort that we'd have been delighted to score ourselves (As Sheehan almost did later in the game).

The second came from a delightful chip, and Sheehan was well out-jumped. However, Brill certainly could have claimed or palmed away that chance if he had positioned himself and anticipated it better. No excuses.

For the third, I can't believe Hazell hasn't shouldered the blame for that. A stupid, unnecessary free kick given away again. Only a couple of mistakes from Rubes all night, but that foul really annoyed me.

As for the strike itself, few keepers would have got near that shot, bad positioning or not.

Brill almost certainly isn't up to the job, but if we make him the scapegoat for every defeat we are in danger of overlooking the serious problems we have in other areas. We struggled to work the ball out of our own half every time we had possession, and ended up punting it to our front two every time, which Hartlepool handled easily. Pass and move is not something we have mastered yet.

Our fans are turning me off this club more than the results.

I agree coco (first time for a while). Moronic, juvenile and short sighted.

They, and not the results/management/ owners lack of knowhow will kill this club

Am with you here BP is like the muppet show at the moment, and thats before you get to the football on the pitch

Thank God for that. I was thinking I was the only Latics fan in the ground who thought Behan's free kick was a superb strike. The one he hit later that flew wide would have beaten any keeper in the world had it stayed a foot or so to the left. I reckon he's been watching Cristiano Ronaldo - he's certainly the first lower league player I've seen hit a free kick like that and use the movement of these new fangled balls with so much power.

Thank God for that. I was thinking I was the only Latics fan in the ground who thought Behan's free kick was a superb strike. The one he hit later that flew wide would have beaten any keeper in the world had it stayed a foot or so to the left. I reckon he's been watching Cristiano Ronaldo - he's certainly the first lower league player I've seen hit a free kick like that and use the movement of these new fangled balls with so much power.

Indeed. And having seen it on BBC it's clear that when it hits the net it's far away from where a keeper could reasonably be expected to save it.

I think we're now at a point where any goal that's conceded will, for some pack mentality scapegoat seekers, be Brill's fault.

Edited by LaticsPete