Best goal seen at BP

My contenders would be :

Gary williams v leeds at the start of the littlewoods cup run i think, brilliantly worked one touch passing move finished off smartly.

The taylor free kick v millwall last season if only for the sheer surprise at trying something different ( we're usually pants at free kicks )

For a blockbuster you'd probably look towards one of redfearn or richardsons rockets or a maurice whittle free kick maybe?

I also seem to remember JJ cutting in from the wing and bending one at pace in the top corner.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil Danns for Blackpool against us in 2003. They beat us 3-2 and John Eyre scored a beauty in that game too.

Five immediately spring to mind

Tony Cottee's chip for Everton Nov '88

Kenny Brown's volley for Plymouth Dec '90

Beardsley great strike for The Toon Nov '93

And two in the same season two wonderful solo efforts from Jason Roberts of Bristol Rovers and Robert Taylor of Gillingham in the 98/99 season

Five immediately spring to mind

Tony Cottee's chip for Everton Nov '88

Kenny Brown's volley for Plymouth Dec '90

Beardsley great strike for The Toon Nov '93

And two in the same season two wonderful solo efforts from Jason Roberts of Bristol Rovers and Robert Taylor of Gillingham in the 98/99 season

Andy Holt running full length v Blackpool.

Best Latics goal?

Tommy Wright's Flying volley v Brighton Feb '89

Roger Palmer's header v Everton for quality of cross and header

Andy Ritchie's rocket v Wolves Dec '90

Ian Marshall's winner v Notts County March '92

McCarthy's goal at Old Trafford

Richardson's debut double

Super Sean's hat-trick goal at Notts County

Since we've been :censored:e:-

Tipton's winner v Wrexham

Andy Holt's solo effort v Blackpool

Allott's efforts v Bury, Brentford and Hudds

Shez's free-kick at Hull

Any goal of Eyresy's

sure there's more

I can't remember who it was against (someone like Colchester) but they'd just scored; we kicked off, gave it to Eyresey who danced around about three players before smashing it in the top corner. Beaut.

For hero worship purposes, Murray scored a left foot screamer into the top corner at the Rocky Road End. Again, unsure of the opposition.

I can't remember who it was against (someone like Colchester) but they'd just scored; we kicked off, gave it to Eyresey who danced around about three players before smashing it in the top corner. Beaut.

For hero worship purposes, Murray scored a left foot screamer into the top corner at the Rocky Road End. Again, unsure of the opposition.

Eyresy's sounds like it was one of the two in a minute v Walsall, when we won 5-3 after being 2-0 down! (August '04)

Muzza's was v Colchester I reckon in March '02, putting us 2-1 up after Allan Smart's header had made it 1-1. He score a goal of similar quality in a 3-1 home win v Wrexham.

Edited by oafcprozac

My contenders would be :

Gary williams v leeds at the start of the littlewoods cup run i think, brilliantly worked one touch passing move finished off smartly.

The taylor free kick v millwall last season if only for the sheer surprise at trying something different ( we're usually pants at free kicks )

For a blockbuster you'd probably look towards one of redfearn or richardsons rockets or a maurice whittle free kick maybe?

I also seem to remember JJ cutting in from the wing and bending one at pace in the top corner.

The Gary Williams goal was a couple of years earlier mate in a 4-2 LC replay win at BP. The cup run games were both 2-1 wins H & A with Stitch and Tricky Ricky scoring at BP (both beauts and Stitch and Frankie bagging at Elland Road) Think Williams also scored abelter in a 2-0 win at Elland Road in Nov '86 and in a League Cup game the same season. He scored in the play off second leg too v Leeds that season.

nick henrys v arsenal in cup

neil adams v brighton away,,,,half way line

andy ritchie v brighton away his 2nd goal masterclass

carl valantine v bolton 76 or 77

vic halom v bristol rovers dont know when

alan young v leicester in cup,,,,hatrick goal

john ryan v wolves 81 think won 4-1

and for sheer excitement and joy ,,neil adams 1st goal v west ham semi final,,,,fantastic move and superb finish from a then remarkable team

Best home goal - Tommy Wright's 'Van Basten' volley v Leeds in the 87/88 Littlewoods Cup.

Best away goal - Rick Holden's overhead kick v Newcastle at St James' Park.

Incidentally, I remember a short piece on Granada (or Look North West) about Roger Palmer's goalscoring record for Latics and one of the clips was of him curling the ball around the opposition's 'keeper on a muddy BP, facing the old Rochdale Road open end.

Does anybody know who this was against and was the goal as good as I recall?

One goal at BP which hasn't been mentioned was in 94 when Mark Brennan hit one first time from what must have been 60 yds (halfway line but wide out) against Chelsea in the fog- we won 3-0. It knocked David Beckham's efford from a similar position into a cocked hat.

The Gary Williams goal was a couple of years earlier mate in a 4-2 LC replay win at BP. The cup run games were both 2-1 wins H & A with Stitch and Tricky Ricky scoring at BP (both beauts and Stitch and Frankie bagging at Elland Road) Think Williams also scored abelter in a 2-0 win at Elland Road in Nov '86 and in a League Cup game the same season. He scored in the play off second leg too v Leeds that season.

Cheers,just had memories of it being in the LC and thought it was in THE season.