NHL 2009/10 Season

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we cross in to the second half of the season the Devs are riding high... the Blackhawks might just be above us but with the games in hand that we have we should be level at the very least, by the time those are played.

Now, I'm not daft, we all know it could fall apart and more so once the playoffs come round it's practically a different sport.

However, if this was the Wings (or several other teams) playing as we are given the injurys we've had and the players we lost in the close season and the changes that have been made organisation-wide then you can bet your backside that they'd be screaming it from the rooftops! It'd be all you'd hear... but because it's the working class Devs, because we don't do it with fanfare but instead with hard work and solid-D then it's all but overlooked.

Sometime soon the NHL is going to have to work out how to market the Devs better, because right now they're hamstringing us and it's getting on my nerves.

Rant over. Devs Rule.

As we cross in to the second half of the season the Devs are riding high... the Blackhawks might just be above us but with the games in hand that we have we should be level at the very least, by the time those are played.

Now, I'm not daft, we all know it could fall apart and more so once the playoffs come round it's practically a different sport.

However, if this was the Wings (or several other teams) playing as we are given the injurys we've had and the players we lost in the close season and the changes that have been made organisation-wide then you can bet your backside that they'd be screaming it from the rooftops! It'd be all you'd hear... but because it's the working class Devs, because we don't do it with fanfare but instead with hard work and solid-D then it's all but overlooked.

Sometime soon the NHL is going to have to work out how to market the Devs better, because right now they're hamstringing us and it's getting on my nerves.

Rant over. Devs Rule.

But the Devils are boring.

:peepwall:

Think we're boring now, wait until we start playing our playoff hockey!

Ha. In all honesty I don't think the Devs are a particularly marketable team...they are a very good hockey team but with an emphasis on D - when your best/most important player is a goaltender it's hard to get excited about them. There's a lot of recognition for them within hockey, they are probably the best team in the NHL (Devs of Hawks anyway), but they're not the most exciting team to watch.

I thought when I read your post of the teams I think are the best marketed by the NHL...and I came up with the Pens, the Caps, the Hawks and the Wings. Then when I looked at the tables, it turns out the first three are the top scorers in the NHL. Plus the Wings are the Wings, end of! It's easy to market teams with big tradition or exciting players...Parise is quality but he's no Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Toews. And like I said, few people are going to get excited about watching a goaltender...however good he is.

Ha. In all honesty I don't think the Devs are a particularly marketable team...they are a very good hockey team but with an emphasis on D - when your best/most important player is a goaltender it's hard to get excited about them. There's a lot of recognition for them within hockey, they are probably the best team in the NHL (Devs of Hawks anyway), but they're not the most exciting team to watch.

I thought when I read your post of the teams I think are the best marketed by the NHL...and I came up with the Pens, the Caps, the Hawks and the Wings. Then when I looked at the tables, it turns out the first three are the top scorers in the NHL. Plus the Wings are the Wings, end of! It's easy to market teams with big tradition or exciting players...Parise is quality but he's no Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin or Toews. And like I said, few people are going to get excited about watching a goaltender...however good he is.

Nothing really to add to this - all spot on. I was remembering that when I first properly started following the NHL (92-94ish) I actually supported the Devs, but a combination of me just ending up following Finnish Players, and all the smoke that was blown up Marty's arse, I actually went off them. We all know he is a great tender, the problem is he isnt even the most interesting goaltender to watch. As a kid (and still now) he bores me. He defined a style that is now dominant in the NHL - but give me Hasek or Roy anyday, now they sent shivers down your spine, wheras Marty is just Marty. I bet you could get more of a marketing showreel from one game of the dominator that an entire career of marty. Nothing he does (or the Devs to be honest) will ever be interesting to the floating fan, in turn, interesting enough to build a marketing campaign around.

I actually love the way the Devils play hockey. It bullish and stubborn - but definitely one for the purists. You cant market that. Its like the FA trying to market Birmingham at the moment. It aint going to happen. Unfortunately Sid, Ovie, etc... etc.. will always get the headlines, and as I sad earlier - Marty will just be the best person ever at getting hit by a bit of rubber.

Ah well... never mind eh Ack?

Oh yeah, and Niclas Bergfors is kicking ass as a Rookie and getting nada also! DAMN IT!

Thats because he is Swedish. And Swedes are boring. and twattish.

Thats because he is Swedish. And Swedes are boring. and twattish.

The old man has decided that as a Red Wings fan, he'll be supporting Sweden at the Olympics. I've therefore decided to go for Finland for the rivalry. Don't let me down.

Edited by jsslatic

You're both right - that the Devs are hard to market as they're defensive. You've both avoided the word negative which I'm grateful for - as I don't think we're negative at all, even though that's the common perception.

I'd say that Parise is a top-5 forward, but in the Devils mould, he can do more with the puck in his own end than Cros/Ove and can be relied upon to contribute more in a game without being flash... but that makes him less marketable - I understand that.

I would however challenge the Birmingham analogy. We're one of the most successful teams of the last 15 years, making the last 12 post seasons, winning the Cup three times and losing in the finals once. The only team with a better record is the Wings and teams like the Hawks and the Caps, who as JSS points out get a lot of attention, have both lost in the finals once each since 1975! That's it!!

So to compare that to a team which has just about made the top flight a couple of times is a bit off target really. The Hawks have three cups in 81 seasons, the Devs 3 in 25. The Hawks are not an especially engrossing team traditionally, but they get attention. It's just one of those things, but I think at a time when the US is in such economically difficult time there's a place for a 'blue collar' team to be marketed well.

I also think you're doing a disservice to Marty, sure I have a bias towards him - I accept that - but I think he's the most marketable part of the team. We all know how much the Yanks love a record. His recent run is the only reason anyone at all is talking about the Devs. I also think he's really exciting to watch. Sure he's not as erratic as Has or as outspoken as Roy but I'd say he makes better watching.

Has might have thrown his helmet at it to make it more flamboyant but I'd rather watch Marty get in the correct position and glove it... perhaps that's the problem in itself, but you can still sell that.

I also think you're doing a disservice to Marty, sure I have a bias towards him - I accept that - but I think he's the most marketable part of the team. We all know how much the Yanks love a record. His recent run is the only reason anyone at all is talking about the Devs. I also think he's really exciting to watch. Sure he's not as erratic as Has or as outspoken as Roy but I'd say he makes better watching.

Has might have thrown his helmet at it to make it more flamboyant but I'd rather watch Marty get in the correct position and glove it... perhaps that's the problem in itself, but you can still sell that.

:lol:

Spoken like a true Brodeurite... fair play sir! I'll argue till the end that he isnt better watching than those two... however, he hasnt really got any competition between the pipes at the moment. Tbh - NHL goaltending is the most boring it has been for a long time. Theres Brodeur... and then a massive gap to loads of GT's who are little Marty clones but not as good. Your point on Yanks loving a record is true... but they love a showreel and a game-winning play even more. I know it is totally untrue, but a Goaltender will never win a game (even though they essentially win every game fopr their team... if you know what i mean)

Apologies for the Birmingham analogy... I was just trying to think of a stubborn defensive team. Perhaps Liverpool is more approprate (last season anyway).

The old man has decided that as a Red Wings fan, he'll be supporting Sweden at the Olympics. I've therefore decided to go for Finland for the rivalry. Don't let me down

This is one of the wrongest things I've ever heard. Its a double whammy of wrongness. To be honest, I wouldnt bet my life on siding with Finalnd in that confrontation... however, I wouldnt bet against them both being back together in the final after the group games. Both are well renowned for being the best 'teams' out there. Canada and the USA always play like a bunch of strangers, and the pressure on the canadiians will be sky-high.

Tbh. Finland have the weakest squad we have had for a while. However the strongest D and GT line up we have ever had (strongest GT line up in the tournament arguably). Think we might have to sacrifice a bit of the passing flair for a bit more grit - and hoping Selanne/Koivu/Jokinen can edge one when needed.

The only arsey thing is the crappy North-american rink sizes. However it is all gravy as 99% of the teams play in the NHL. But its alays funny hearing the USA/Canada whinge about rink sizes when they lose. They actually have to pass and play creative hockey. The Devs would be screwed. :lol::wink:

Its a Canada - Sweden final for me. With the finns getting the bronze. We will see. I'm actually nervous already! and Eurosport better show the games... otherise ESPN here I come...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Tbh - NHL goaltending is the most boring it has been for a long time. Theres Brodeur... and then a massive gap to loads of GT's who are little Marty clones but not as good.

Apart from Tim Thomas. And Tim Thomas is :censored:e.

Canada and the USA always play like a bunch of strangers, and the pressure on the canadiians will be sky-high.

The Canadians have picked all of the Sharks' first line, I guess they'll stick them together as the first line in Vancouver and hope for the best...

and Eurosport better show the games... otherise ESPN here I come...

BBC have coverage of the Games, I assume/hope that it will all be shown on the red button.

Edited by jsslatic

Apart from Tim Thomas. And Tim Thomas is :censored:e.

The Canadians have picked all of the Sharks' first line, I guess they'll stick them together as the first line in Vancouver and hope for the best...

BBC have coverage of the Games, I assume/hope that it will all be shown on the red button.

They said that at the last olympics. The all you got was about a 45 minute highlight package every other day. As you say, hopefully with the red button action it will be happy days.

The whole canadian line up is strong. However that line hasnt a patch on the Selanne, Koivu, Peltonen line. They have been playing together since before helmets were manditory. :wink: It will be the second line... and have a total age of over 100!

Looking through the USA line up. It looks stunningly weak. Except for Bobby Ryan, obviously. and a couple of bit part players from the Devs. and Patrick Kane.

The national team version of the Devs pehaps? Cant see them playing two-men high... ever.

MARTY! Simple as.

Was waiting for that. I meant depth on the bench... Perhaps Perise or Langenbrunnernenernnnneeeeeerrrrr can do us all a favour and take out theer mate in the groups... the canadians would be screwed.

They would have to put Fleury in nets... and when has he ever led a team to victory?

:unsure:

Was waiting for that. I meant depth on the bench... Perhaps Perise or Langenbrunnernenernnnneeeeeerrrrr can do us all a favour and take out theer mate in the groups... the canadians would be screwed.

They would have to put Fleury in nets... and when has he ever led a team to victory?

:unsure:

My answer remains unchanged. MARTY.

This thread has been going since September, with only 4 posters....finally, it's first debate!

The problem with Canada is that they're not marketable because of their boring goalie. MAF would change that. :wink:

If I'm honest I know nothing of international hockey... I'll watch it mind.

This thread has been going since September, with only 4 posters....finally, it's first debate!

The thing is though... didnt we have the same debate last year when Marty broke another boring record for boring people? I remember our stances being reasonably similar... however in the elapsed time Ackey seems to have got increasingly deluded.

If I'm honest I know nothing of international hockey... I'll watch it mind

Quick summary... Canada always favourites but play like they have never heard of the word team, someone will have a tantrum. USA are always awful, leading to many hotels being trashed. The Czechs and Rooskis are always decidedly average and brutal, Czechs normally being the better of the two. Finland are the bastian of all things beautiful in hockey, normally medal and are always the victims of statements such as "you know what, these fins are really becoming my second favourite team" and "Little finland are beating all comers" by patronising canadian comentators. Some other teams occasionally allowed to play... like Slovakia, and Germany, Norway and Italy. and Japan in nagano, which was funny, as they seemed to have bred a team of skating sumo-wrestlers.

And the swedes are utter c*nts. They will probably win. and I uttered many swear words when Forsberg was announced in the Swedish squad. again. he won the tournament on his own last time. C*nts I tell you.

I don't watch hockey, so know nothing of the players being mentioned, but I'm already bored by the Devs. Listening to Ackey witter on, digging his heels in = Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

I can't take you seriously now I know you're so under the thumb that your xbox avatar is your Mrs.

You mean nothing to me.