England v Ukraine t'internet Stream Only

According to the BBC it's £4.99 to watch before Weds, £9.99 thereafter and £11.99 on the day! What planet are they on? we've already qualified it's meaningless and most of the big names will get their traditional 'knocks' this week. Dreamland, the firm hosting the stream will lose a fortune I reckon and rightly so for trying to take the piss!

Hoping to be able to travel to Charlton anyway...Fookin' Boo!

More interested in the RL Grand Final if i'm honest but....

It's a nonsense. Not to mention the fact that if people are forced into watching it online anyway then they'll watch it on an illegal streaming site rather than pay through the nose for it.

Still, Rio thinks it's a good idea. Though given his 'memory problems', he'll be having to pay full whack to watch his mates when he gets injured at some point this week.

Fans can vote this option away by not buying.

Fingers crossed the lack of interest will force the company to go the same way as Setanta.

As JSS says, no buggers gonna pay for it when most of us know the right places to watch it for nowt anyway! God bless our Far Eastern, Middle-Eastern and Asian brothers...:naughty:

(OWTB Disclaimer - OWTB cannot and will not condone it's member stealing football matches :wink: )

Edited by oafcprozac

still going to be a mad dash home after the game to watch this one, not wasting an hours looking round for a pub showing this ...... just won't be on

Might not make Charlton after-all, so may be able to watch the Grand Final at home. See how I feel later in the week and work on the wife's conscience a bit more, even if I do go it will be a probably be a teetotal trip. If I'd not already spent £60 on ticket and travel I wouldn't entertain it tbh...

Might not make Charlton after-all, so may be able to watch the Grand Final at home. See how I feel later in the week and work on the wife's conscience a bit more, even if I do go it will be a probably be a teetotal trip. If I'd not already spent £60 on ticket and travel I wouldn't entertain it tbh...

A fella I work with might still have 2 grand final tickets available if anyone wants them.

Its an absolute disgrace. Disgusting. This fella sums up my feelings, although hes a heck of a lot more reserved than me. We're supposed to have a left-wing government FFS. Grow some bollocks and attack the FA and the greedy scum incompetent arseholes who run football.

The game has gone mad with the parasite fat cats run the game, whilst millions cheer on a teams full of rapists, cheats, diving, spit roasting bastards. Working mans game my arse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8290090.stm

Edited by slurms mckenzie

This is a disgrace, all England qualifiers should be on free to air tv. Rio is obviously going to be in support of it because if it takes off that means more money going to the top and eventually finding its way down to the players. Wont matter a great deal for me as im at the grand final, yet the sentiment remains the same!

Edited by Oafc88

I just got an email from Bet365 saying the game will be streamed live on their website for all customers with a funded account. I'm not going to be able to watch it myself, but just as a tip to those who do want to watch the game, it may be an idea to stick a tenner into a Bet365 account to watch the game. You can then take the tenner out after the game and one would assume the quality will be better than your standard illegal stream.

We're supposed to have a left-wing government FFS.

But we haven't have we...

All England home games should be free on TV... Seems like away games arent as simple...

But surely the English FA have some power to say to the Ukrain, if you want to play us the u do x,y or z regarding the tv deals...

Edited by oafc0000

But surely the English FA have some power to say to the Ukrain, if you want to play us the u do x,y or z regarding the tv deals...

I'm sorry, what? For what reason on earth do England have any sort of right to threaten not to play a side because of a TV deal?!

Edited by jsslatic

I'm sorry, what? For what reason on earth do England have any sort of right to threaten not to play a side because of a TV deal?!

To protect the right of are own population to have access to the game ? Or are you forgetting the reason for this thread ?

What right do other countries have to force us into deals which are not right for us ?

To protect the right of are own population to have access to the game ? Or are you forgetting the reason for this thread ?

What right do other countries have to force us into deals which are not right for us ?

Right, so England should threaten not to play in a Fifa competition because people at home have to pay to watch? I could arguably understand if this was a friendly (and even then it would set an awful precedent), but this is a World Cup game, regardless of the fact we've already qualified.

Sorry, it's just ludicrous. Not to mention the fact it's not the Ukraine's fault that Setanta collapsed. Don't get me wrong, the internet pay thing is ludicrous too. But to threaten not to play them?!

Right, so England should threaten not to play in a Fifa competition because people at home have to pay to watch? I could arguably understand if this was a friendly (and even then it would set an awful precedent), but this is a World Cup game, regardless of the fact we've already qualified.

Sorry, it's just ludicrous. Not to mention the fact it's not the Ukraine's fault that Setanta collapsed. Don't get me wrong, the internet pay thing is ludicrous too. But to threaten not to play them?!

doh!!

I got confused... I forgot it was a qualifying game... I was working off the idea that i was a friendly...

Sorry :)

doh!!

I got confused... I forgot it was a qualifying game... I was working off the idea that i was a friendly...

Sorry :)

A written letter and a quarter page ad in a national broadsheet of your choice apologising will suffice.

This game would have been on Setanta right? Quite a few people have Sky but not Setanta so they would have had to have paid extra for this meaningless game anyway. The other option would be to go down the local pub (provided they have the relevant channel) and watch it there. Now I may be being dumb but what's stopping the local pub (i.e. the landlord/lady) from firing up the laptop/PC and wiring the PC into a big screen/TV (don't think it will be that hard) if they pay £4.99 it will be cheaper than what they pay to broadcast Sky legally in their pub any way. I'm sure a few pubs in the Oldham area have foreign satellites that will be broadcasting the game any way.

Yes ideally football should be on terestrial TV (England games) but there is an argument that such a law is illegal as it restricts trade. The FA sell the rights to the highest bidder and supposedly that money filters down through to the small clubs (i.e. non-league/amateur). If you really want to watch a meaningless game (for us- not for them) that much I'm sure you can find a way. To be honest all this means is a whole load more people will watch the highlights compared to normal.

The world cup (and European Championships) are on either BBC/ITV (although I presume if Channel 4/5 wanted it they could out-bid) and can't be on Sky (for the moment). Almost every pub in the land has Sky Sports, quite a few had Setanta, quite a few now have ESPN watching football is not that hard. But beacuse some internet comnpany has been clever and seen a market opportunity loads of people are complaining- (you must have the net otherwise you wouldn't be on here) get a grip.

This game would have been on Setanta right? Quite a few people have Sky but not Setanta so they would have had to have paid extra for this meaningless game anyway. The other option would be to go down the local pub (provided they have the relevant channel) and watch it there. Now I may be being dumb but what's stopping the local pub (i.e. the landlord/lady) from firing up the laptop/PC and wiring the PC into a big screen/TV (don't think it will be that hard) if they pay £4.99 it will be cheaper than what they pay to broadcast Sky legally in their pub any way. I'm sure a few pubs in the Oldham area have foreign satellites that will be broadcasting the game any way.

Yes ideally football should be on terestrial TV (England games) but there is an argument that such a law is illegal as it restricts trade. The FA sell the rights to the highest bidder and supposedly that money filters down through to the small clubs (i.e. non-league/amateur). If you really want to watch a meaningless game (for us- not for them) that much I'm sure you can find a way. To be honest all this means is a whole load more people will watch the highlights compared to normal.

The world cup (and European Championships) are on either BBC/ITV (although I presume if Channel 4/5 wanted it they could out-bid) and can't be on Sky (for the moment). Almost every pub in the land has Sky Sports, quite a few had Setanta, quite a few now have ESPN watching football is not that hard. But beacuse some internet comnpany has been clever and seen a market opportunity loads of people are complaining- (you must have the net otherwise you wouldn't be on here) get a grip.

But setanta would have been on tv at least which is one of the main sticking points for me and that it isnt on tv at all. You could go the pub and watch it legally or at home at least you were getting the channel along with a number of other sporting events that it would show for a similar price they are charging for a one off game.

Although i wouldnt be watching the game due to being at the grand final, i dont consider this less meanignful in my eyes, as id make every effort normally to watch it and im sure others feel the same about wishing to watch the game. Its an England football game, id imagine we have the one of the highest if not the highest attendances for friendly games, so id doubt you would get any less people watching this.

Also, not everyone has access to the internet though do they? the elderly who arent use to such technology and those who live in areas with crap broadband speeds and whatever, its puts a stop to watching the game for them which seems a tad unfair for those people, without resorting to illegal measures. For others its a case of who wants to gather round a small computer monitor with all there mates when a game would look far better on tv, its far better to watch the game down the pub with mates and others or with friends and family in the comfort of your own living room. Im sure the company behind all this has already said that the best size to watch it is on the 17 inch monitor, and not to bother hooking it up to the tv as the resolution looks crap. Id love to see how the stream is gonna hold up on saturday without some buffering, BT and other service providers complain now over over worked servers due to online streaming.

Edited by Oafc88

But setanta would have been on tv at least which is one of the main sticking points for me and that it isnt on tv at all. You could go the pub and watch it legally or at home at least you were getting the channel along with a number of other sporting events that it would show for a similar price they are charging for a one off game.

Although i wouldnt be watching the game due to being at the grand final, i dont consider this less meanignful in my eyes, as id make every effort normally to watch it and im sure others feel the same about wishing to watch the game. Its an England football game, id imagine we have the one of the highest if not the highest attendances for friendly games, so id doubt you would get any less people watching this.

Also, not everyone has access to the internet though do they? the elderly who arent use to such technology and those who live in areas with crap broadband speeds and whatever, its puts a stop to watching the game for them which seems a tad unfair for those people, without resorting to illegal measures. For others its a case of who wants to gather round a small computer monitor with all there mates when a game would look far better on tv, its far better to watch the game down the pub with mates and others or with friends and family in the comfort of your own living room. Im sure the company behind all this has already said that the best size to watch it is on the 17 inch monitor, and not to bother hooking it up to the tv as the resolution looks crap. Id love to see how the stream is gonna hold up on saturday without some buffering, BT and other service providers complain now over over worked servers due to online streaming.

I take your points and while Yes not everywhere has good broadband most places do. Not everywhere has Channel 5 but not too many people were complaining when Channel 5 showed England games not that long ago. The company has said that they will limit the number of subscriptions to 1 million as otherwise the stream will soon become crap (accounting for all the illegal downloaders). Also a similar price- isn't this net company charging £4.99 at the mo and wasn't Setanta something like £15/month- not that similar.

The key point here I think is how bothered you are about watching the game- those who are really bothered about all of Englands games are up in arms about it (whether they are at the Rugby or something else or not), those who see this as a meaningless game because we have already qualified are probably not that bothered. I think I wouldn't be so forgiving if England needed a result in this game.

I've just had another thought about why this has ended up on internet only- the :censored: TV on a saturday night- Suckly Come Prancing and Z-factor obviously take precedence for some reason- if only Channel 4/5 could have afforded the asking price- maybe some sort of internet campaign should be started to rid the :censored: of our TVs on a saturday night so we don't have this palava (sp?) in future.

I take your points and while Yes not everywhere has good broadband most places do. Not everywhere has Channel 5 but not too many people were complaining when Channel 5 showed England games not that long ago. The company has said that they will limit the number of subscriptions to 1 million as otherwise the stream will soon become crap (accounting for all the illegal downloaders). Also a similar price- isn't this net company charging £4.99 at the mo and wasn't Setanta something like £15/month- not that similar.

The key point here I think is how bothered you are about watching the game- those who are really bothered about all of Englands games are up in arms about it (whether they are at the Rugby or something else or not), those who see this as a meaningless game because we have already qualified are probably not that bothered. I think I wouldn't be so forgiving if England needed a result in this game.

I've just had another thought about why this has ended up on internet only- the :censored: TV on a saturday night- Suckly Come Prancing and Z-factor obviously take precedence for some reason- if only Channel 4/5 could have afforded the asking price- maybe some sort of internet campaign should be started to rid the :censored: of our TVs on a saturday night so we don't have this palava (sp?) in future.

Aye true, i still feel it alienates a lot of people from watching. I think theyve said they aim for a million subscriptions and think they estimate there will be 2.5 million watching. Surely there is a lot more people that wish to watch the game than that. I remember setanta being 11 pound a month when we finished with it, dunno how big a difference that makes to the argument though. With channel 5, at least it was available on tv for those that had it plus i think if pubs had sky you were able to get it in those areas would be able to screen those games at the time. My point being that it was more widely available than what the game will be on saturday, and inconvenience a lot more people. I do understand you now though is that if you wanted to watch the game so much you probably would (at least thats what i think your trying to get across :grin:)

I agree about the saturday night tele bit, it could be that the tv channels estimated 6-8 million tuning in when i imagine we normally get around 15-20 million??? tuning in for games, and thus have decided its not worth shelling out more than they were willing to pay as it would of also cost them if they moved strictly and x factor round.

Fans can vote this option away by not buying.

Fingers crossed the lack of interest will force the company to go the same way as Setanta.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Setanta, for it's price £12.99 a month it was a bargain.

And the people who refused to back it because they'd rather pay £35+ a month for Sky are now getting their just desserts. thumbup.gif

The BBC can't afford to compete for big sport, it has to spend it's TV Tax on things like kiddies educational products that are amply provided by private companies and a million random channels with 6 viewers apice. And Jonathan Ross. And Chris Moyles. That said I'm not that arsed about this game, it's a commercial product and the Queen isn't going to be knocked off her thrown because it's not on free to air, not that I would arsed about that either. Your grandad without broadband didn't have Setanta anyway, surely the outrage is far too late?

Good 'ol free market capitalism, someone fancies making a quick buck so let 'em at it. The "crown jewels" of TV sport have been eroded away over the years, test match cricket not being on free-to-air TV is a national disgrace but the game were able to sell their soul and there is only one shop in town that buys - Uncle Rupert.

All rights for foreign games the England national team play are that countries FA property and they decide who to sell to. Setanta as any infant broadcaster does, as Sky did bought the rights then the toys came out of the pram from the Sky owners. Go to the states and look at how many digiboxes pubs have - to get a "full package" you have to subscribe to many companies and it won't be long till it is like that over here. Actually that is probably wrong, Rupert has had it sown up for a long time. I don't like Branson but sure as hell hope he makes Virgin into a company able to take on Sky and win occasionally.

As Ben Elton would say "a little bit of politics" - if anyone thinks that voting blue in May will result in sport "coming home" to the BBC think again, it will if anything result in the break up of the beeb and possibly lead to Italian housewives stripping on ITV and I don't mean nice housewives, think 3lb short of an elephant and a black dress. These free-market wideboys will sell their own mother for a larger slice of the pie, remember the Duck House, moat cleaning and repairs to tennis court - these were on the blue side.

As fans the best thing we can do is not to buy the subscription to this game, it is on 5live and I bet the stream on the internet will be pretty low quality. Would have been interesting if this was a crucial game that we had to win.