Owdham pubs

It's a shame, but unsurprising. People's habits have changed. Gone are the days when lots of men made a trip to the boozer virtually every night - whether it was a couple of pints at teatime after work, or a couple at last orders, or just a skinful every night.

And then there's the massively different demographics of our urban areas these days to consider.

I am amazed at how some pubs are managing to stay open - you drive past them and they always seem to have about 2 people in, even on a Friday night.

I'm not so sure I'd agreed that pubs in smaller towns/villages are faring much better - they seem to be struggling as well, unless they've started serving food and become more of a restaurant.

It's a shame, but unsurprising. People's habits have changed. Gone are the days when lots of men made a trip to the boozer virtually every night - whether it was a couple of pints at teatime after work, or a couple at last orders, or just a skinful every night.

And then there's the massively different demographics of our urban areas these days to consider.

I am amazed at how some pubs are managing to stay open - you drive past them and they always seem to have about 2 people in, even on a Friday night.

I'm not so sure I'd agreed that pubs in smaller towns/villages are faring much better - they seem to be struggling as well, unless they've started serving food and become more of a restaurant.

Food is definately the key i think YD some of your locals are grafting their nads off to stay open - butnot much profit now in 'wet sales' alone

KEEP THE THE GREAT BRITISH PUB OPEN!!

Food is definately the key i think YD, some of your locals are grafting their nads off to stay open - but not much profit now in 'wet sales' alone

KEEP THE THE GREAT BRITISH PUB OPEN!!

I think the problem is that the main pub as one currently, is splitting into two.

You can go and get aled up in a place serving 100's of people cheap drink, due to it being near it's use by date (like Walkabout, Whetherspoons, and so on).

Or you can go to pubs which are serving nice drink. These are generally real ale pubs, which have shown a growth in the recession.

Anything in between is dying on it's feet (with the odd expection here and there - but even in those there are generally mitigating circumstances).

Price really is a large part of it I think. My old man assures me it was as cheap back in the day to have a drink out as it was to have one indoors, now it's 3-4 times the price. Whilst the evil health profession and the politicians are making out that sniffing a barman's apron makes you murder your gran and then fall over dead it's not likely to change.

If I remember correctly, the two biggest pub companies (Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns) are over £1B in debt. They bought up :censored: loads of pubs on borrowed money and then property values slumped. :petesake:

Pubs are closing left right and centre, and for a host of reasons (a chapter of my dissertation a few months back was on this). My Grandad has just given up his Oldham pub after years. It used to be heaving, your typical working class boozer, but it's been dead since the smoking ban in his opinion. It seems the 'posher' pubs are faring better than others, mainly due to serving food, and having clientele who can afford the beer at the moment!!

Also relevant is the fact that the younger generation today tend to prefer 'trendy' bars.......or even cheaper (and arguably less harmful) drugs altogether, such as ecstasy. The amount of students to be seen turning up at the likes of Sankeys and Warehouse Project (and even less typical venues) with 2/3 E's and a packet of Golden Virginia is significant, and heart warming. Not an aggressive :censored: in sight..... :wink:

- Smoking ban

- Cheap booze deals in Supermarkets

- More entertainment at home these days

Look no further.

Pubs that thrive these days are usually well located, run well and offer more than a grotty room and about 3 different types of beer and no entertainment other than the odd drunk getting put on his arse.

How's the Hark to Topper doing these days? I spent many a good Saturday afternoon in there, playing cards and drinking as much Alpine as possible on my split shift...

if i can remember from the last time i was up there enjoying a shandy, i'm sure hark was still open, going strong, serving it's renowned head popping ales and possibly 1 of the cheapest boozers in oldham.

A pub definately for the grown ups. :lol:

Those small to medium breweries that still employ managers, such as Robinsons, Hydes, Holts and (typed with gritted teeth) Lees are still doing well.

The non-brewing pub chains such as Punch and Pubmaster who make there profits by charging ridiculous rents and then screw the tenant into the ground with their mark up on bought in beer are, as stated before, struggling.

Going back a few years when Boddies employed managers, my local was the Front House in Springhead, which always had a good crowd in every evening but that all changed once tenants took over. I called in about a month ago, expecting to see some old cronies. I was on my own, Billy no-mates. suffering a pint of John Smiths crappy smooth.

How's the Hark to Topper doing these days? I spent many a good Saturday afternoon in there, playing cards and drinking as much Alpine as possible on my split shift...

Went in a few weeks ago during the day in the week. Place was pretty quiet, just a little crowd in the tap room mainly consisting of pensioners and a geezer who must have been about 90 but was still sharp as a knife, joining in with the banter.

Also went in about 9pm one Friday a few weeks ago and the place was dead really. Surprising really...I'd have thought in these tough times everyone would be wanting to get on the Alpine at just 1.71.

I'm not a regular, so I might have caught them on an off day, but the last two times I have been in the Alpine was not up to the standard served in my local...

Edited by Yard Dog

Went in a few weeks ago during the day in the week. Place was pretty quiet, just a little crowd in the tap room mainly consisting of pensioners and a geezer who must have been about 90 but was still sharp as a knife, joining in with the banter.

Also went in about 9pm one Friday a few weeks ago and the place was dead really. Surprising really...I'd have thought in these tough times everyone would be wanting to get on the Alpine at just 1.71.

I'm not a regular, so I might have caught them on an off day, but the last two times I have been in the Alpine was not up to the standard served in my local...

When the Alpine was known as Ayingerbrau (sp) in there, we used to call it 'anging brew, 'cos it was effin awful.

I have read something somewhere, possibly on the internet, that at one time Oldham had more drinking establishments (licensed and unlicensed) per head than anywhere else in the country....has anyone else heard this ?

I have also heard a similar claim about chippies.

I have read something somewhere, possibly on the internet, that at one time Oldham had more drinking establishments (licensed and unlicensed) per head than anywhere else in the country....has anyone else heard this ?

I have also heard a similar claim about chippies.

In the late 1950s Oldham had 365 pubs, one for every day of the year. On Saturday nights, on the West Street site, where the Civic Centre is now, coaches from all over the North West used to park while their passengers enjoyed a good night out. There was live music in many of the pubs.

Anyone remember Benny on the keys?