do we really need to move?

Is our ground the really the crumbling wreck some claim it to be ?

It sure as hell aint the most aesthetically pleasing, parts of need painting and repair, but some will have you believe it's falling down...

Yeah the TTA for a start....

Course, it's past its sell-by / use-by date, but I just don't fall for this crap about it putting people off coming.

It puts me off coming...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is our ground the really the crumbling wreck some claim it to be ?

It sure as hell aint the most aesthetically pleasing, parts of need painting and repair, but some will have you believe it's falling down...

Course, it's past its sell-by / use-by date, but I just don't fall for this crap about it putting people off coming.

I'd hazard a bet that the plumbing and electrics are a right mess for starters. We will be spending money as quickly as we are failing to earn it as we could if we had half decent facilities.

I don't know, how much is hire of Chapel Road for a of an evening? Not cheap I'll guess and you would struggle to get a booking a lot of the time. Oldham's grass pitches are :censored: and way over the odds compared to most other boroughs (you can take my word for it as I have to deal with the embarrassment of asking other Fans' teams for more than they ask us to play on a swamp/have games called off half the year). Not much by way of overheads after it's built, creates custom in the bar, vending machines and so on. A hotel could well lose money in the current climate, why knock a consistent earner?

not played on chapel road for a couple of years,but last time it was around the £22 mark....and yes more often than not it was mostly booked up on certain nights,and they have 3 pitches.

i cant see it being much more than that maybe 25 quid.but its only open 5 nights a wwek and if its booked solid its only going to earn you around 7k a month give or take a few quid

i dont know how much it is to hire a fullsized grass pitch for a game,but i doubt it will bring in another 33k a month making the magic 40k a month we are losing.

so how is it going to make us self sufficient???

not played on chapel road for a couple of years,but last time it was around the £22 mark....and yes more often than not it was mostly booked up on certain nights,and they have 3 pitches.

i cant see it being much more than that maybe 25 quid.but its only open 5 nights a wwek and if its booked solid its only going to earn you around 7k a month give or take a few quid

i dont know how much it is to hire a fullsized grass pitch for a game,but i doubt it will bring in another 33k a month making the magic 40k a month we are losing.

so how is it going to make us self sufficient???

By my maths, 5 pitches booked for 3 hours a day each at £25/hour raises just shy of £80k a month before costs. That's the 5-aside ones. Perhaps you might not manage that on weeknights, although perhaps you would, and weekends would be busy, for regulars as well as birthday dos etc that you could cater for. Regular 11 aside teams would kill for a decent full size pitch (grass or Astro) to use during the winter when a one off booking for a re-enactment of the Somme costs £71 for two hours from the Council, if they don't call it off or the security bloke is too stoned to unlock the changing rooms.

How much would an empty hotel earn?

i would want to stay here.as no matter how bad it is,or looks at present its home..its our spiritual home....and everything wrong with it at present is purely cosmetic.

I dont get all that spiritual home gubbins. I was taken in the Chaddy as a kid, but anyone who still thinks its what it once was is kidding themselves. That place isnt how I remember it. Definately not the same character, charm or buzz about it like I remembered. It's embarrassing. So much so, that it's actually quite sad to see it in the state it has become.

Infact the whole of Boundary Park is a depressing sh*thole in it's current state.

People banging on about how many seats there'd be. There's only 10,000 season at the current ground and we're not even seeing 40% of them filled by home fans some weeks. Even in the Prem days there was times when it wasnt full.

By my maths, 5 pitches booked for 3 hours a day each at £25/hour raises just shy of £80k a month before costs. That's the 5-aside ones. Perhaps you might not manage that on weeknights, although perhaps you would, and weekends would be busy, for regulars as well as birthday dos etc that you could cater for. Regular 11 aside teams would kill for a decent full size pitch (grass or Astro) to use during the winter when a one off booking for a re-enactment of the Somme costs £71 for two hours from the Council, if they don't call it off or the security bloke is too stoned to unlock the changing rooms.

How much would an empty hotel earn?

dont think your sums are right somehow,off your figures it still only comes to 10.5k a month,thats off your calculations of 5 pitches being used for 3 hours a day 7 days a week

they would need to be booked solid for 10 hours a day 7 days a week to earn 33.5k a month,and i cant really see that happening can you???

an empty hotel wouldnt earn anything,but im guessing the hotel idea is based on ground rent,and the amount of companies that can be given conferencing facilities and the current going rate.

I dont get all that spiritual home gubbins. I was taken in the Chaddy as a kid, but anyone who still thinks its what it once was is kidding themselves. That place isnt how I remember it. Definately not the same character, charm or buzz about it like I remembered. It's embarrassing. So much so, that it's actually quite sad to see it in the state it has become.

Infact the whole of Boundary Park is a depressing sh*thole in it's current state.

People banging on about how many seats there'd be. There's only 10,000 season at the current ground and we're not even seeing 40% of them filled by home fans some weeks. Even in the Prem days there was times when it wasnt full.

It's not exactly uplifting with the Lookers demolished and certain things looking tired, but if we were doing well in the Championship or Top Six of L1 and winning games at homes, playing decent football, and getting 7k home fans, and there was a bit of atmosphere being generated ....most of us would be as happy as pigs in :censored:, regardless of pies running out and bit of pigeon :censored: on your Armanis....

dont think your sums are right somehow,off your figures it still only comes to 10.5k a month,thats off your calculations of 5 pitches being used for 3 hours a day 7 days a week

they would need to be booked solid for 10 hours a day 7 days a week to earn 33.5k a month,and i cant really see that happening can you???

an empty hotel wouldnt earn anything,but im guessing the hotel idea is based on ground rent,and the amount of companies that can be given conferencing facilities and the current going rate.

My sums are wrong, which is worrying given what I do during daylight hours :unsure: It's still hardly peanuts though, and doesn't discount also building a hotel. But I am sure that part of the reason the original plan fell to dust is that there is no way on arth that anyone is going to invest into the add-ons at the moment, whereas groups of guys will still chip in for a game of football at nice facilities, it's not an either/or.

You don't need a hotel to have good conferencing facilities (as ManUre and Blackburn can attest to). The club's match day banqueting facilities if designed properly (probably more in terms of conferencing as opposed to match-day stuff) should be more than adequate. The problem with BP at the moment is instead of spotting the flourishing market for conference/banqueting facilities outside of hotels- why use a hotel if every lives local enough not to need one- the owners in the Premierhsip years (JW Lees) decided to knock down some bad executive match day facilities and replace them with worse ones (in terms of conferencing) when the did a major overhall of the main stand without rebuilding (bloody stupid decision which looks positively imbecilic now). I bet Oldham are more than capable of making the same sort of figures as the likes of Bolton and Blackburn are from much more frequent use of the 'executive' areas but with us that would mean a much higher percentage of the budget.

The section of the NHS my Mum works in will have already block-booked the Reebok for a couple of days in January, if our facilities were anything like theirs I'm sure she could be swayed to book Oldham's ground instead.

Yet again the point has to be made that when the team was doing something worth taking note of considerably more than 12000 were regularly inside BP. For big games, when capacity still made it possible, gates were close on 20000. (And in earlier periods a lot more than that.)

By limiting the capacity to 12000 the club is making it clear that it expects not to see times like the early 1990s ever again. In fact it doesn't seem to be taking into account possible cup games against either of our big city neighbours or the fact that we have had more than 12000 inside the ground on numerous occasions even in the last fifteen years.

The 10.5K for 3hrs/7 days per week is only the income per month during the footy season.

If you subtract outgoings of tax, staff costs, ongoing maintenance, rates etc etc and lack of use in the summer (unless they can be converted into tennis courts or cricket pitches) you would be lucky to get £5K profit.

What would make profit 52 weeks of the yr and what Oldham is crying out for, would be an indoor leisure centre including cinemas, bowling alley, skating rink. sports hall etc with a few cafes and bars. But I doubt the council would let them have the land if that's what it was going to be used for after all the council could do it themselves.

Here's a wild idea as well as selling off some of the BP land for houses why can't TTA retain some of it and still build the hotel and some other facilities there. Then the old BP site would provide the 1 off income to build the new stadium from selling the land to housing developers and an all yr round income to pay the clubs running costs as well?

IIRC the maintainance of BP was estimated at £400k per season(year). This cost saving in itself plus a 12K income from the pitches and hey presto ... The land at BP nearly triples in value if there isnt a big foortball pitch in the middle of it. I do think that the land in Failswrth will see the cinema and indoor sports facilities as this would be one of the reasons the council are so heavily involved. The cost being halved for both club and them and while Oldham gains some new shiny stuff to show off about. Generating income in that area with those facilities and with good sound management are all positives. Whilst the concerns of many point out the negatives all we have are small folds of information that assumptions are being made about. Why not wait for the plans, they are only a few weeks away .... lets see what the dream is ... lets look at it and then and only then will the bigger pictiure evolve. Lets not deprive those with hope by saying there isnt any.

Edited by andy_b_100

IIRC the maintainance of BP was estimated at £400k per season(year). This cost saving in itself plus a 12K income from the pitches and hey presto ... The land at BP nearly triples in value if there isnt a big foortball pitch in the middle of it. I do think that the land in Failswrth will see the cinema and indoor sports facilities as this would be one of the reasons the council are so heavily involved. The cost being halved for both club and them and while Oldham gains some new shiny stuff to show off about. Generating income in that area with those facilities and with good sound management are all positives. Whilst the concerns of many point out the negatives all we have are small folds of information that assumptions are being made about. Why not wait for the plans, they are only a few weeks away .... lets see what the dream is ... lets look at it and then and only then will the bigger pictiure evolve. Lets not deprive those with hope by saying there isnt any.

i very much doubt that you will see the cinema bowling and other things you have mentioned andy mate,certainly not on the failsworth site....they are having trouble persuading people its a goer with only minimal football pitches etc...i doubt they would be happy with virtually 20 hours a day seven days a week traffic noise and people.....

i honestly think it would make more sense doing that kind of thing on current bp site...its certainly big enough and could be maube linked with the already existing elk mill site...

oldham is crying out for these kind of facilities yet the council seem oblivious to them and the peoples need of them,just think how much income could be generated with that kind of scheme,if the club could do it thats the self sufficiency part done, and im very suprised the owners havent thought of it instead of a housing scheme.

i very much doubt that you will see the cinema bowling and other things you have mentioned andy mate,certainly not on the failsworth site....they are having trouble persuading people its a goer with only minimal football pitches etc...i doubt they would be happy with virtually 20 hours a day seven days a week traffic noise and people.....

i honestly think it would make more sense doing that kind of thing on current bp site...its certainly big enough and could be maube linked with the already existing elk mill site...

oldham is crying out for these kind of facilities yet the council seem oblivious to them and the peoples need of them,just think how much income could be generated with that kind of scheme,if the club could do it thats the self sufficiency part done, and im very suprised the owners havent thought of it instead of a housing scheme.

Right. Let's try and get planning permission for a funfair on the current BP site. Loads of punters turning up every evening as they are trying to drive home will cheer the locals up up no end. We might get it through in 3 years, before realising that someone would have done it already it it was viable and had council backing

bravado_little_britain_want_that_one_red-white.jpg

Right. Let's try and get planning permission for a funfair on the current BP site. Loads of punters turning up every evening as they are trying to drive home will cheer the locals up up no end. We might get it through in 3 years, before realising that someone would have done it already it it was viable and had council backing

bravado_little_britain_want_that_one_red-white.jpg

As one of those locals who lives within spitting distance of BP, I'd love us to stay put but i just can't see it now. Anyway many of my neighbours are true nimby's and are hell bent on stopping latics progressing at any cost :ranting:

Not a chance does it cost 40k a month more to maintain BP than a new stadium. Not a chance.

I didn't say it costs $40k, I said PART of that $40k is for maintenance. Iirc the figure of $400k pa was used when the ground was rented from the council, with about $250k being rent. That leaves $150k as maintenance - $12.5k a month. Maybe not the full $12.5k is now being spent (it makes no sense to fully maintain an asset that is to be written off) but you'd be surprised how much it can cost for simple little jobs here and there - anyone paid a plumber to unblock a sink recently?

Oh and Corp- you're making up figures again - we didn't get 20k attendances in the glory days, we didn't often sell out at 16k or so. Adding over 20% to gates is a silly thing to do if you're trying to make a point. Yer knows it. :grin:

Edited by real